1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Godfather 1,2,3 single releases

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by shakur96, Jul 2, 2003.

1. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seen on play for a while now that the godfather films are supposed to be released individually, I am not a fan of the 3rd so am after 1 & 2 - anybody know if & when these could come out.

Other than my dislike for pt 3, my other reason for not buying the boxset is because I hate the fact that pt 2 is split (don't laugh), I know a lot of you guys dont mind this, but whats the chances of the individual release being on 1 disc? I know its long at about 200 mins, but Apocalypse now Redux is 195 mins and that fits.

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The reason is the movie is split over 2 discs is because an audio commentary is included, and Coppola wanted to max the bitrate to maintain picture quality. It is also anamorphic whicjh again eats up the bits - "Whoops Apocalypse" is not.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I don't know why you just don't bite the bullet and get the complete set. You can now pick the whole lot up for £23 here:-

www.choicesdirect.com

you not only get all three films but 3 hours of extra features on a fith disc. A bargain imo.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  5. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye wilber is right - Apoc Now Redux is anamorphic, as is Das Boot which is 200 mins long, that fits on 1 disc. the_pauley - u say that pt 2 has commentary, which eats up space, but Das Boot also has 2 audio tracks (german & english dub), so I still think it could be poss. Anyway, nobody heard of a release? - looks like I will bite the bullett & get the boxset.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sorry - was reading something about "Whoops Apocalypse" just before this thread and mis-read Shakurs's first post - er...whoops, wrong apocalypse! :blush:

Yes, but G2 has seven foreign language audio tracks, plus a director's commentary, so decent picture quality on a single disc would be severely compromised, especially on a movie with so many dark shadows, where digital blocking / nasties would be visible with a low bitrate.

The disc change comes at a natural break in the movie, and is subtly done as if this was a built in intermission point in the movie. Anyone know if this was the case on the original cinema release?

7. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good question

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

You are correct. As far as I can recall, when "The Godfather Part 2" came to cinemas in the 1970's. the film was split into two halves, with an intermission in the middle. At 200 minutes, the film was considered waaaaayyyyyy too long for most cinemas to have more than two showings a day. And up unti that time, there hadn't been any other major cinema release of such great quality that was considered worth showing in its full and complete length.

Pooch