God of War Overrated

Nomad1

I've finally got to play this game on the best platform for it, 4k maxed out.

But I know people might get upset. But I think the game is hugely overrated. I'm very disappointed with God of War 2018. It is a boring game!

Let me explain. The graphics are good for an old game. The story line is okay, with his little boy. But the game begins to be a choire and gets boring fast.

The game seems very "Gamey". Throw your axe at three symbols to open a chest and get a health upgrade piece. Break something to make a bridge or open a shortcut. Portal doors that are conveniently placed. Climb around like Tomb Raider! I'm done throwing my Axe.

I'm fed up throwing the Axe at objects , the upgrades are clumsy and it just doesn't really immerse me much. The story develops too slow and is a grind.

I rate the game 6.5 out of 10 at most. I can only believe the 10 out of 10 ratings are of desperate gamers drumming up hype.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Game is great. You're wrong. Throwing the axe never gets old, neither does constantly berating your son throughout. I didn't notice any choirs in my game though. Maybe they were muted?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
different strokes I guess.... personally I am not a huge fan of spectacle fighters either, I find I just button mash my way through them ending up with finger ache (I accept there are skills if you want to score well etc) but if I was gonna choose one to play god of war would likely be it..

as for the mechanical complaint... you could kind of say that for every game imo. if you enjoy it it's great if not it is a chore

I can see your point of view, its very much a game in respects to some of the elements of play. But the feel of the axe throwing and fights are nice, its lovely to look at, in fact all the sounds, voice acting etc are excellent. Story is good. I feel your rating it down due to your lack of enjoyment rather than the quality of the product, by which I would score all football games a 1 out of 10 as its not my thing. But hey would be boring if we all liked the same things.

The_Wierd

But I know people might get upset. But I think the game is hugely overrated. I'm very disappointed with God of War 2018. It is a boring game!

Let me explain. The graphics are good for an old game. The story line is okay, with his little boy. But the game begins to be a choire and gets boring fast.

The game seems very "Gamey". Throw your axe at three symbols to open a chest and get a health upgrade piece. Break something to make a bridge or open a shortcut. Portal doors that are conveniently placed. Climb around like Tomb Raider! I'm done throwing my Axe.

I'm fed up throwing the Axe at objects , the upgrades are clumsy and it just doesn't really immerse me much. The story develops too slow and is a grind.

I rate the game 6.5 out of 10 at most. I can only believe the 10 out of 10 ratings are of desperate gamers drumming up hype.
No, it's not just you. I have it on PS4 and never finished it, got bored after the first few levels. It looks great, but the gameplay just never clicked for me.

Nomad1

No, it's not just you. I have it on PS4 and never finished it, got bored after the first few levels. It looks great, but the gameplay just never clicked for me.

I don’t blame you. There are some pretty good voice acting and all that, but for a game that won Game of the Year I am really not that impressed. I doubt I could even reach anywhere near the end, but can't help but be a bit disappointed.

For starters, they need to get rid of the searching around for the chest thing for health upgrades, it's frustrating. You can even see some of this boring gameplay transferred to Jedi Fallen Order, it ruined that game in my opinion. Climb around searching for silly light saber crystal upgrades. Then less frequent good jedi fighting but much more running and climbing, searching.

Last edited:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
If you don't like the game, fair enough, but if you're not close to completing it, you have no idea why it earned game of the year. I see this time and again with people putting a couple of hours into a game, then slag it off and be incredulous that it was ever critically acclaimed.

I've been luke warm to many games, including this, but have really enjoyed them by the end..

Nomad1

If you don't like the game, fair enough, but if you're not close to completing it, you have no idea why it earned game of the year. I see this time and again with people putting a couple of hours into a game, then slag it off and be incredulous that it was ever critically acclaimed.

I've been luke warm to many games, including this, but have really enjoyed them by the end..

I'm in the second world, and almost completed there, but find it repetitive. The recycled enemies and game play, chest hunt hurts. I can't see much improvement if I continued as I really don't like the puzzles, climbing and throwing the Axe to open health chests.

I might try to get past the 3rd world, but I would need coffee for that.

I've also played it on PS5 and PC due to the hype, so I know that I'm playing the best versions of the game. On the PS5 I stumbled onto a Dragons nest during my first run ( moments after getting on the river), which I thought was cool and expected the game to be like that. However, on the PC I just could not find that Dragon, spent hours looking and even resorted to the Internet but can't find him.

CJ90000

I'm in the second world, and almost completed there, but find it repetitive. The recycled enemies and game play, chest hunt hurts. I can't see much improvement if I continued as I really don't like the puzzles, climbing and throwing the Axe to open health chests.

I might try to get past the 3rd world, but I would need coffee for that.

I've also played it on PS5 and PC due to the hype, so I know that I'm playing the best versions of the game. On the PS5 I stumbled onto a Dragons nest during my first run ( moments after getting on the river), which I thought was cool and expected the game to be like that. However, on the PC I just could not find that Dragon, spent hours looking and even resorted to the Internet but can't find him.
Perhaps just a sign that your gaming "self" has evolved to another level so simple stuff doesnt do it for ya anymore? Try simulators or grand strategy? :D

N0ddie

I found the game a total grind. Zero likeable characters and meh story.

100% over rated for me.

Nomad1

Perhaps just a sign that your gaming "self" has evolved to another level so simple stuff doesnt do it for ya anymore? Try simulators or grand strategy? :D

I would have much preferred Ghost of Tsushima as Game of the Year as that is a much better game than God of War.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member

Or maybe the 10/10 ratings were from people who really, really, enjoyed the game?.

So because you didn’t enjoy the game you now believe that the amazing reviews are from ‘desperate gamers' drumming up hype.

Dude you have some really idiotic logic going on.

Nomad1

Or maybe the 10/10 ratings were from people who really, really, enjoyed the game?.

So because you didn’t enjoy the game you now believe that the amazing reviews are from ‘desperate gamers' drumming up hype.

Dude you have some really idiotic logic going on.
Been gaming for years , no way God of War is 10 out of 10 🤣

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Been gaming for years , no way God of War is 10 out of 10 🤣
different strokes etc. I know players who spent 1000s of hrs in Dota 2, WOW and counter strike. they do nothing for me at all

anlygi

I only got an hour or two into God of War before I moved onto something else and never went back to it. Do plan to get it on PC though when it gets a bit cheaper to give it a chance. Don't want to throw full price at it to do the same again, unless I buy it directly on Steam for peace of mind.

I hated Horizon Zero Dawn and get flamed by Sony fanboys when I air such a view on any gaming site! I only had PS4 from day 1 then Pro for most of last gen too, buying an Xbox One X after playing Ghost of Tsushima to give me new stuff to play on Game Pass until PS5 came along, so I'm far from anti-Playstation.

Then when I watched the PS5 reveal, I was so disappointed with the launch lineup and that hideous white behemoth that I started buying components to go back to PC the next day. After almost 15 years away from it!

Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone had me sucked in until completion, unlike God of War and Horizon. Days Gone gets a lot of hate and I loved it! I picked it up late though so they'd fixed criticisms by the time I got around to it.

Nomad1

different strokes etc. I know players who spent 1000s of hrs in Dota 2, WOW and counter strike. they do nothing for me at all

I agree, but tbh WoW and Counter strike are very good games. But they are not to your taste.

I have played Dirt 5, Fifa 2021, e footbal on PS5 and they are all excellent or good games even though they are not to my taste, so I don't really put hours into them.

God of War 2018 is not as good as those games in my opinion, it's frustrating to play and I've put many hours into it. I wouldn't call it a bad game , just it's an massively overrated game

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
GOW 2018 was really good but it took me a few goes to get into it - I played a few hours, thought it was ok but left it for 6 months and then went back and really got into it and played to the end. Definitely 8/10 for me as once finished I had no desire to go back and complete all the other bits of it.

Personally I preferred Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone and Horizon ZD way more and actually recently went back to play a bit of GOW3 which is more of a hack n' slash and boy is that game amazing and personally blows GOW 2018 out of the water :)

richp007

Distinguished Member
For me God of War is one of the greatest games ever made. It's pretty much flawless, and a perfect sequel to the games that came before.

As above it's different strokes of course, but I genuinely have no idea how anyone could call it boring.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Also not sure why we need a dedicated thread to slag off a 4 year old game? I'm sure stating grievances in existing God of War threads would suffice, can post here if the pc version doesn't tickle your pipes..

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I love the game but can a see why you'd say its overrated from a purely game perspective. Its like every cinematic game from The Last of Us to Uncharted. They're more like interactive films but GOW definitely is better than the two above in how it sets out and manages to do everything.

KBD

I'm not sure how you can make that comment about anything Christopher Judge is in:

1644360105251.png
Indeed.gif

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand