1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God £350, what should i do?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by AlexS, Jan 22, 2004.

1. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there..

GOd 350 pounds (+/- 50£), and need a good surroundsystem.. What should i buy?
    I was looking for SC-dt310, but i think it is almost impossible to find???

Maybe i should go seperates, but then again, it is almost to small a budget i have for that..

What would you advice me to do.. My budget is kindda small, since it is my first system..

By the way, if you know where SC-DT310 is in stock it would be great. And they have to ship to denmark, since i live here :)

Yours sincerely Alex

2. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And where can i get Jamo DVR50 + 305 ??

By the way.. My room is around 5 M * 3,5 M, så it is not very big..

Just want something to watch movies on, and hear a little music sometimes (at an ok volume)..

3. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should give the Panasonic SCHT 900 a good look. £350 in comet (cheapest) and its just fabulous! If you want particular info, just ask but first have a look at it.

4. cucumber

cucumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll back that - go for the SCHT 900. Bought mine last week for £350 from Comet. Cracking system!!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tis true SCHT-900 is superb for the money!!!

6. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay.. Just that i dont like that there are 4 floorspeakers.. I would like something with max 2 floor, and 2 to hang up...

Where can i buy SCHT900, who sends to denmark?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have a look at SCHT500 similar but wall mount able speakers and not 5 Disc IIRC

8. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm what should i do?

Now looking on:
    JVC TH-A75 (kindda hooked on, but is it better than SC-DT310?)
    Jamo DVR50 + 305 speaker (HOW much does it cost in england)
    Panasonic SC-DT310 (If it ever comes on stock again)

Any other ideas? Has to be good, and satalite speakers please. Mainly for films, but also for a little music sometimes, if some friends pop by and so on.

9. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps Pioneer PSC 313 ?

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    AlexS,

Either check German retailers, most of them ships to EU countries.
    www.preistendenz.de is a excellent place to start.

In UK I know only www.techtronics.com that ships to outside UK (a friend of mine in Sweden bought a multireg SCHT-900)

Wasabi

11. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all very much..

Now I'm looking for Panasonic SC-DT300.. Is this a good buy? 260£, where the SC-DT310 costs around 360£ (techtronics). Thats kind of a price difference..

Maybe there is something much better out there for 350 £ ??

12. wkm99

wkm99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I face a similar dilema to Alex. I have the same budget and after much research (mostly within this forum, thank you) had narrowed it down to the Panasonic SCHT900 and the JVC TH 75. I would mainly use it for films and PS2, rather than music. Room size is 15ftx11ft. So which would be best suited to my needs? I perfer the styling of the JVC and am put off a little by the speakers of the panasonic, also I have no real need for a 5 disc changer, but all the feedback about the 900 seems good. I've not come across the SC-dt310, is this something I should also consider, or are there others?

I don't mean to Hi-jack Alexs post but we seem to be looking for the same thing (except I'm in the Uk). Any feedback would be greatfully received.

13. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wkm99 - Panasonic SC-DT310 is impossible to find i think. Nobody knows if they are ever gonna get it in stock again. So now i need to look for something new again..

God damnit thats annoying.. Think i would try the SC-DT300 then.. But not sure yet.. God damnit it is annoying!!! ! :(

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    900 is not great with PS2 as the optical input will onlt accept DD and not DTS sound tracks/effects so you cant use the DTS4.0 on a lot of games, that said you can use all games in DPL2 which a lot of people prefer anyway.

15. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    AlexS,

There are 2 german retailers that sells it for a good price -
    http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/psm_frontend/main.asp?produkt=313022
    and both of them ship outside Germany, I think they all do, more or less.

Do you need multi-reg or just reg2?

wkm99, according to pricerunner, there are reg2 in stock in quite a few retailers and searching on google there are other retailers as well, or do you look at multi-reg only and or to a certain max price?

found multireg in stock for 330 - http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/indexhome.html

Wasabi

16. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Wasabi..

Well, the problem is, they don't know if they'll ever get it again? I don't know why, but thats just the way it is :(

17. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    ok,

so u already checked with them all.

Bad luck mate.

But I'm sure in spring they will launch 320 or something, that is probably why Panasonic is stopping the production, and it could also be the success of 500 and 900, which makes the 310 sales drop. In Hong Kong the slimmer series is definitely hugely more popular than the 310.

Wasabi

18. wkm99

wkm99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help so far

Wasabi, I checked out the 310 on your link and like the look of the 310, although I'm concerned there is no SCART, my TV has nothing other than SCART and therefore I would have to use composite which is not as good (have I got that all right?).

I do have a handful of Reg1 discs but I would imagine that the majority of my discs would be Reg2, I currently play these through the PS2

So which should it be, the Panasonic 900, 310 or the JVC 75?

19. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    wkm99 & AlexS,

Your tv scart is probably also s-video enabled, and the 310 includes a s-video-scart adaptor, so you get the 2nd best video quality (some DAV-S550 which has a s-video out, no rgb, will say that it has great picture, but I think most members will agree that in general rgb gives a better picture), so get it right, get a system with a scart out.

There are a variety of systems which all has its supporters here.

the rest of you who is looking for a system, this might give you a guidance, and if you have specific questions, I'm sure you know what to do. ;p

btw, nice pictures of the systems can be found on www.avland.co.uk or www.techtronics.com, the prices shown are in multi-region, if no reg2 price is in brackets, thats because the price difference is small.

At ?09 - http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301182 - which is a new lower price (very good price indeed), you have the Panasonic SCHT500, a very nice slim looking system and nice speakers too. Excellent sound (plays pseudo DVD-A) and picture, the only a bit let down is Dolby Pro-Logic and the might not be important at all no jpegs, not the newer PLII. A very popular system, which will keep the among the top position in sales with this kind of silly price.

At ?30 (?30 - http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301623 - you have the Pioneer DCS-313 - very good power for the price, while picture has been critisised on magazines, majority owners here are well pleased with it. It may not be the best looking one.

At ?20 () - http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301640 - which is a excellent price, you have the JVC THA-75R a 6.1! system, DTS-ES, DD-EX and Dolby PLII, with well pleased owners, very good sound and a good picture through scart as well. Design wise, it is good looking.

At ?30 - http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-sony-dav-sc5-multi-region-dvd-system.html - you have the relative new Sony DAV-SC5, which is based on the successful S550, but in new packaging. It should be another good package. Design is nice too

At ?00 - http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301776 - you have the excellent Pioneer NSDV-99 which plays in addition the normal stuff, also DVD-Audio and SACD. Great system according to members here and it is good looking too. Does ntsc prog scan, if you have a tv with component in.

At ?20 (?53 reg2 at comet, you can modify for ?0 via a remote code, someone here has posted the site)- http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/indexhome.html - you have a favourite here, the gorgeous looking Panasonic SCHT-900, with good looking standing speakers, great sound and picture, can play pseudo DVD-A and it has a 5disc changer. Many happy owners here.

Plenty of choice here. It is difficult to say which one to buy, depends on your preferrable budgets.

I'm sure others will comment on my comments, but I have tried to compile a brief summary here.

Wasabi

20. AlexS

AlexS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've ordered SC-DT300 now, so we'll see how it performs :)