• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Go to USA tomorrow morning, still unsure whether to upgrade my US 80GB for a slim

nick270881

Hiya all, as the title suggests, I go to florida tomorrow morning and am unsure whether it will be worthwile upgrading my 2 year old US PS3 80GB to a slim given the mixed reports of noise etc.

My current one works fine but it does get a little hot after a while and the new one bitstreams DTS-MA, I'm not sure I need one tho but it will be sod's law that my current one dies as soon as I get back if I don't get one!

What do you reckon??

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
I prefer the old to the new so id say no, but if your old phat model is noisy then it might be worth it. My 40gb phat works fine with little or no noise, im just upgrading my hdd to 320gb the cheaper option though and i can keep my shiny old phat model :D If your bothered you cant install a new os onto the new slim one i dont think and its longer and wider too with no heat sensitive buttons, the best feature ever, no switch on the rear of the console. Up to you though mate, your call id say :thumbsdow

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
Roughly around $299 but you could find it cheaper in retail stores out there, thats an internet price from amazon.com i think

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
what about paying the vat when you get it back here though , surely that will make it a pointless exercise , or am i missing something :confused:

bubs999

I've just come back from Florida and I was amazed at how expensive their games are out there. Don't forget, the price quoted doesn't include the 6.5% sales tax (can be more depending on which part of Florida)

games were around $63 and you could get them cheaper here, can't remember what the slim was, but no matter what store you went too, they were all the same price.

I expected to buy a few games, but didn't due to the current exchange rate

nick270881

what about paying the vat when you get it back here though , surely that will make it a pointless exercise , or am i missing something :confused:

You can legally bring back £340 worth of goods without paying import duty and VAT

My brother brought back my original PS3 2 years ago when he was working in the US, he also had a PS3 for himself and shedloads of clothes, if you don't get stopped then :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom