1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go shuffle!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Sep 23, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, this isn't a plug for Apple's screenless iPod. It's a simple, joyful instruction.

There are some of us, I know, who don't always use the 'shuffle' or 'random' functions on our DAPs. Certainly, those using ATRAC do so because they want to play albums precisely as the artists intended these - so playing tracks out of order must seem to them ... well, out of order.

But today, I've been in shuffle mode - and it's put me in a good mood. From my collection of 3662 (and counting) tracks, I've heard tunes by Mariah Carey, Mendelssohn, The Muppets (yes, The Muppets!), Monty Python, Metallica and Michelle Branch. And that's just a selection from the 'M's.

Isn't this partly what having a DAP is about? Having such a wide and diverse collection of tracks right there in the palm of your hand means you not only have exactly the right tune for your mood at any given time, but you also have a variety of tunes to help you experience a range of moods whenever the ... er ... mood takes you.

So, if you've not shuffled or randomised your player's tracks in a while, may I suggest you do? It might lead you to rediscover some of the dustier corners of your music collection. Or just amuse you when, sitting on a commuter train packed with peope in suits, you suddenly hear Eric Idle singing, 'I Like Chinese' ...

Go figure. Go shuffle! :smashin:

2. broochie

broochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Juss switched to shuffle mode for a couple of hrs, you never know mayb days & l did love that for a change, but l'm still tryna figure out how this DAP of mine, HD5H, played 10 skits(album intros') in a row, in one go :rolleyes: . Mayb its juss sheer coincidence, otherwise the little babe was rocking wild in my ears from Eminem to Frank Sinatra, to Bob Marley and so on. :clap: l must say thats some Dj l got. :cool:

3. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Too right shadow :thumbsup:

I suppose it was one of the main reasons i bought a DAP being the shuffle/random mode. I can shuffle individual tracks on one cd on my cd player but the shuffle of individual cd's/tracks was a major bonus on the DAP bringing to the fore albums/tracks you havent heard in a while. :smashin:

That and the ability to hold many many cd's all in one place and carry them about of course. Those who are dapless i feel sorry for as you dont really "feel" the benefits till youve test driven. I for one can take the reduction in sound quality and play it off against the benefits of portability.

By the way "THE MUPPETS!" Your winding us up surely ??
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    And what a superb tune that is :thumbsup:

I use shuffle a lot on my mac at home (less so on my ipod). Doing the housework to a soundtrack of anything from Morricone to Slipknot. You can't beat it.

5. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been using shuffle play on my HD5 (and NW-E107) with a slight twist. When a tune comes up that particularly suits my mood, I switch to regular play and listen to the whole album from the start. Most of the time I wouldn't have been able to pick the 'right' album myself!

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I only ever use shuffle, I've never (not once) played my songs any other way. I don't listen to different types of music depending on my moods which er...don't really alter much, and I wouldn't say there are any songs left on that I wouldn't want to here. Does my head in a bit when I hear ten songs in a row by the same artist, but that's only because I have ten of songs on by a couple of artists so once I have some more songs on I won't hear them quite so often.

7. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's the difference between generations. Us old fogeys grew up listening to "albums" and are used to listening to complete album-length works. It seems that the younger generation listens to (and purchases/swap) "tracks" instead.

Think of an "album" as a "playlist" of one artist created by the artist himself. :rolleyes:

I am curious: If listening to ten songs in a row by the same artist "does your head in a bit" then how do you handle going to a concert? ;)

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KevH: I own 3 (count 'em) Muppets CDs - Christmas Carol; Treasure Island ... plus a Christmas one with John Denver!!!

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I wouldn't ever go to a concert, not that big a music fan really, prefer other media forms.

10. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's odd, really. My enjoyment of my HD5H - first DAP I've ever truly ENJOYED, rather than obsessed about - has much to do with two seemingly contrary features: shuffle and gapless playback. The latter is absolutely essential now I'm used to it; while the former has helped me regain my love for albums I've not played in years.

11. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Of course, an album is often more than just "ten songs in a row", it could be a collection of music that represents a group of musicians at a certain point in time creating a single piece of music which happens to contain some songs. Sometimes the relationship between the songs matters as well as the songs themselves. And I've never found shuffling across everything smart enough (there are intro and interlude tracks that have no place in shuffle mode). Jumping between different musical styles is a good thing but I'd rather do it on an album-by-album basis. But yes, this probably is a generational thing, and apple's "you can random play so you must" mantra probably does resonate with a lot of people.

12. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    It's not why I shuffle though, I mean I never have every song from one album on the player it makes sense listening to them this way, otherwise i'd be forever changing album when songs from one album had been listened to.

I would say the majority of my songs are from the late 80's - early 90's, not too many recent songs I don't think.

13. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now I'm really confused. What are you even doing on a digital music forum then??? :confused: :confused:

14. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that in the time that I have had my HD5 I might have used shuffle once or twice. I really prefer to listen to music album by album, that being said I might give it a shot today at work for a while.

15. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    It's more oriented towards the players themselves, rather than the music, you won't see me in any musical discussions, rather I like the technology itself and this is a good place to check out what players from crands I don't own are, normally I hang around ilounge. Probably only use my DAP for music a couple of hours a week tops, with maybe 4 hours a week for other stuff.

16. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like using shuffle on my HD3 but it always seems to shuffle the same tunes over and over again

17. djpowell

djpowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something I like to do on the HD5, is to select "Shuffle Items", and "Unit On", then press Search, scroll down to Albums, and press Play. It will pick a random album, and you can listen to it in order. If you want to skip tracks you can with >, but if you get bored of the album, you can press Search followed by Play, and it will pick another random album. It's handy for situations where you want to change music without looking at the screen, like for in the car.