Go play a game you have had gathering dust thread

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So In the last week, having some time off work to myself, I decided to force myself to dust off some games i picked up cheap but never really played.

Hell, despite having for 18 months resident evil 5 was still in wrapper....

And despite me not really interested initially in any of them i have got into....

Dark Sector, not played for 2 years where i got bored on level 3.....
Now completed, just got the tough difficulty to <maybe> do 1 day. Online is not gonna happen.

But my 2 real discoveries were
Resident Evil 5 - superb in co-op.

and

Bionic commando (the retail game). This one isnt especially technically impressive, but its just a good simple game, with some fun challenges and i think looks a very achievable 1000.

So what games do you have which you got on a whim and never really gave a chance? and would you be interested in giving it an hr to see if it grabs you?

Others i have like that which i may get to on another day include :-

Lost planet 2 (PC)
mercenaries 2
hitman
splinter cell conviction
Gun

and prolly many more

I actually finished Mass Effect the other day after having it for ages. Im tempted to replay ME2 now and import my character.

Ive still to finish Alan Wake, i started it but lost interest. I have the DLC for it as well.

I could probably add a lot more to that if i hadnt ran out of shelf room and traded around 30 games in for a PS3.

Well i've been going back to old games for a few months now, the big one for me was probably Oblivion which i had for nearly 4 years.

A real big dissapointment on my own behalf is not finishing any JRPG, on the PS1 it was my favourite genre. I have about 80G between Lost Odysey, FF13 and Eternal Sonata. The western free roaming RPG's really stepped it up this gen though.

Over the long weekend I looked at my game collection to see if there was a game I started but never finished the campaign on and there were several:

Final Fantasy XIII - Got to around chapter 11 when it came out and stopped but never got back to it
Brütal Legend - Got a few chapters in and decided I didn't like the gameplay
Overlord II - Got a few chapters in and decided I didn't like the gameplay
The Orange Box - Finished the Portal story and started Half Life 2 but never finished it or played any of the episodes.

I decided to play The Orange Box (mainly after playing Portal 2 and wanting to learn more about the Half Life world) and get further into Half Life 2. I am now about half way through Half Life 2 and it's good.

I'm going to try and get through as much of Half Life 2 as I can before L.A. Noire comes out but I doubt I'll finish it or get around to Half Life 2: Episode 1 or Half Life 2: Episode 2.

I've made a concerted effort over the past few weeks to go back and dust off some of those games that I left half-played.

First up was Bully - I last played it about 3 years ago, got maybe an hour or so into it and then got side-tracked by whatever the latest major new release was. It looks a bit dated visually (as you would expect, since it's essentially an original Xbox/PS2 game) but still plays very well. I completed that and got all but two of the achievements (including, annoyingly, the big one for 100% completion, as I just couldn't complete one of the classes).

Next up was Portal, which I was determined to complete before embarking on Portal 2. I had played through as far as the penultimate level when Orange Box first came out but got stuck and gave up. I decided to start afresh and managed to get all the way through this time.

I've just picked COD: World at War up, having bought it cheaply in the classifieds here last year but not really played it. I'm about halfway through it. I'm not going to 100% the achievements as I can't be arsed with the multiplayer but I should manage 60-70% completion.

When I'm done with that, I think it's high time I got around to finishing off Half Life Ep 2. And then after that, a return to Oblivion, 5 years after completing it, to play through the DLC in the GOTY edition.

Cheap gaming! :D

Funnily enough I decided two nights ago that I would dust off Just Cause 2 which I hadn't been back to after loosing my save game for the second time last year.

I have to admit I have really enjoyed the game, still looks great and play really well. Loads of Wow, git in or woah moments :smashin:

I actaully have tons of games I need to go back to:

Fallout 3
Mass Effect 2
AC: Brotherhood
Devil May Cry 4
Dirt 2
Blur
NFS Most Wanted
Borderlands
Red Dead Redemption and the zombie add on
Transformers
Shadow Complex

Sure there are a couple more too, and yet here I am contemplating going and getting something new today as well :facepalm:

I've been trying to mop up achievements left in games for the past few months. Up to 83% completion in 149 games according to TA which I'm pleased about:)

Have managed to complete 100% Gears of War 2, Viva Pinata, Lips, Game Room, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and DiRT2 in recent months. Also got various achievements in other games that I'd been meaning to get for a while, such as Clothes Horse in Dead Rising or Co-op Terrorist Hunts in Rainbow Six Vegas.

There are still games with achievements I'll never get (GH/RB games mainly) but I can live with that!

Still loads to go but the next on my list are (in no particular order!) :
  • Overlord 2 : Like a poster above I've got a few chapters in and stopped. Loved the first Overlord but found number 2 a bit strange in comparison. Think they tweaked it too much.
  • Turning Point Fall of Liberty : Joke of game, but only the online ranked kills to go. Haven't even got the 100 kills yet and the final one is for 2500 :facepalm:
  • Splinter Cell Double Agent : Recently got the wins on each map ones (finally!) and got my stats to 95% (again finally!) so only the three achievements for the challenges left.
  • Army of Two : Professional to go along with the 1 billion dollars online :boring:
  • GTA IV : BoGT and all online to go :rolleyes:

just bought nfs:mw after remembering i have a disgustingly low 30gs on it, next will be rs:vegas only need to do last few levels on realistic to 1k.

Also resisting the urge to rip the wrapper off dirt 3 with my teeth , i refuse to play it with a control pad and my forcefeedback wheel decided to die on me today so looking to source another.

Ps also smashed my hd monitor with a control pad after rageing about the elite campers on cod saturday night.

just splashed out on nice 24led 1080p acer which is only 15mm so have to handle it with kiddy gloves, all in all its been an expensive weekend...but meh can't take it all with me so might aswell spend it.

Oh then there's cod 3 on veteran!

Splinter Cell Double Agent... i have had this for ages... is it any good?

Mr Noble... get a fanatec GT2..... i tell you once you go to that there is no going back.

I need to go back and finish Kane and Lynch 2 on co-op. It's a fantastic game which is sorely overlooked. Anyone who's ever enjoyed a Michael Mann film (especially Heat) would love it.

Splinter Cell Double Agent... i have had this for ages... is it any good?

Mr Noble... get a fanatec GT2..... i tell you once you go to that there is no going back.

If you enjoyed the earlier Splinter Cells then DA is more of the same. It's not like SC Conviction in which you can run and gun for alot of the game! Also if you care about achievements then there are quite a few multiplayer ones, most of which are a bit of a pain to obtain.

Finally started Just Cause 2 which has been sitting on the shelf for many months, huge game which is going to take a while to do. Not starting LA Noire till I finish it though!

I Dl'ed GTA San Andreas ages ago, and never really played it. So i picked it up on the day off i had the other day and although the graphics are very dated it is still enjoyable and the little rpg elements to it are a great addition, why weren't they in GTA IV.

Oh then there's cod 3 on veteran!
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than have to go through that buggy POS again. :laugh:

I've got loads of games queued up that I need to get through as I usually pick them up when I spot a good offer (like Fable 3 for £9 from Argos this week). I went a few years without playing any games at all really so I've been working my way through older titles but I'm getting onto some new ones as well.
In the queue, in no particular order I've got..
Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Borderlands, Splinter Cell, SP: Convictions, GTA IV, Fable 2, Fable 3, Forza, PGR4. Just about all of them are still in the cello as well.

Last edited:
I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than have to go through that buggy POS again. :laugh:

I've got loads of games queued up that I need to get through as I usually pick them up when I spot a good offer (like Fable 3 for £9 from Argos this week). I went a few years without playing any games at all really so I've been working my way through older titles but I'm getting onto some new ones as well.
Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Borderlands, Splinter Cell, SP: Convictions, GTA IV, Fable 2, Fable 3, Forza, PGR4. Just about all of them are still in the cello as well.

you store you games in a musical instrument???

Do Reach first - the campaign is amazing. :thumbsup: Shame about the multiplayer though...

I have Red Dead Redemption, Dead Rising 2, Dead Space 2, Lego Indiana Jones, and Ghostbusters - i have actually misplaced Ghostbusters as it has been in my to play pile for ages :blush: I still want to get more gamer score on Forza 2 & 3 as well.

Halo ODST is a boring dullard of a game, i picked it up cheap after 4 of us went through halo 3 on co-op and thought odst would be good too.... WRONG!

just picked up reach, i hope its better.

Also re-borrowed COD WAW. I almost threw it out of the window last time after getting grenade spammed for the millionth time on veteran, so i am just going through on regular now for fun.

If Black ops is like this with the grenades i am not even gonna bother.

This thread is amusing - all my 360 games fall into this category:

Fallout 3 - lots of time put in; still 4/5 of DLC and the main quest to do.
GOW 1 - er ... not played for more than a few minutes
Bioshock 1 & 2 - played neither
Arkham Asylum - my friend played on my 360, but I'm yet to
MW1 & 2 - making progress in MW1; friend played 2 on my 360, but I have not
Oblivion - not played
Too Human - played a bit, going to give away (was fairly fun though!)
Lost Odyssey - played a reasonable amount, but left it too long to go back to I think
Mass Effect 2 - started playing again after 4 months a few days ago
Mirror's Edge - started, got distracted
Borderlands - played a bit of co-op, but by mate was dreadful

I am doing CIMA, so I generally feel like I should be "doing something more productive".

Now have time to do ME2 though!

I was actually going to come and post a thread like this but lo and behold, here's one awaiting me! Nice

Games I currently own and need to go back and play:

Mass Effect 1 & 2
Enslaved

I'm tempted to go back and get Darksiders again so I can finish it. Other than Child of Eden, there aren't any new games I want until November :eek:

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if it reminds me of any old gems I haven't got around to buying/playing yet :)

A real big dissapointment on my own behalf is not finishing any JRPG, on the PS1 it was my favourite genre. I have about 80G between Lost Odysey, FF13 and Eternal Sonata. The western free roaming RPG's really stepped it up this gen though.

I'd really recommend picking up Tales of Vesperia. For me, is the best RPG of this console generation.

Edit:

I'm also thinking about picking up Dead Space 1. I've heard nothing but good things about the IP

Last edited:
I am doing CIMA, so I generally feel like I should be "doing something more productive".
In the same boat as you regarding CIMA.
Getting my gaming in between now and exams results coming out 14th July.
Will probably have to revise for re-sits but have about 35-40 games on 360, PS3 and Wii still sealed to get through.

:eek:

In the same boat as you regarding CIMA.
Getting my gaming in between now and exams results coming out 14th July.
Will probably have to revise for re-sits but have about 35-40 games on 360, PS3 and Wii still sealed to get through.

:eek:

Which paper(s)? I've just sat P3/E3/F3.

Don't get me started on the "to play" list for the Wii!

Really enjoying ME2 though, despite the tedious planet scanning and the sometimes "repetitive" or rather, predictable missions :)

You guys should join this site with the pile of unfinished games you have:

The Backloggery

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom