Quantcast

Go Philips or Samsung for new CRT HDTV?

captainmilo

Standard Member
Hello , glad to be here :)
After 3 days of extensive forum reading and price comparing , i find myself to be in a dillema as to which TV to buy
Im looking into CRT HDTVs since i think that LCD technology still has some years ahead of it to fully mature

In my country (greece) , i get the option of 3 CRT HDTV sets , two from Philips , and other from Samsung
Samsung is model WS32Z409 and the Philips is 32PW9551 / 32PW9520
All 3 sets have pretty much the same price tag , with the samsung being like 50 euro cheaper than the Philips ones

Reading the Z409 threads , ive seen that half the people are satisfied with their TV set , while others have the Geometry issue (which was either solved by replacing their tv or by tweaking with the service menu)
In the stores website , it says the product was added in their cataloges on 27/6/06 , so its prolly a newer non-faulty batch? Seems that most of the people having the geo issues ordered it on day one from a specific store , so maybe that particular batch was faulty? Some user posted an email from Samsung stating that the problem should be fixed on newer shipments

I havent seen many threads or reviews about the Philips models , so i dont really know if they are worth the extra money over the samsung (plus i dont have a good history with philips products)

Id like to see what people that own the sets mentioned above have to say , both the pros and cons of each model

Ill be using the Tv for watching DVDs , playing xbox360 and exporting video signal from my pc (has both DVI and component video output)
Edit: I rarely watch tv programs

Thanks in advance

c_j_holt

Standard Member
I was waiting for the Philips 32PW9551 to come to the UK but then they said it wasn't so I went for the Samsung. You need to ask this question in a country where both of these TV's are sold to get a decent answer. Anyway, bugger off, you're just making me jealous. The Philips has to be better than the Samsung, surely?

burnleyboy

Standard Member
hello i`m new to this but have the sammy 409 and have been reading this forum.....i have bad geomatry down the sides and also with an upscaling DVD player through HDMI have strange paterns on the sides when on 1080i...have phoned samsung today and the set is being picked up 2moz (quick response i thought), i`m hoping the set will come back sorted as i have no complaints at all about PQ...infact its fantastic with sky digital and DVD (apart from 1080i) will let you know what its like when i get it back

Top Bottom