1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go On Scare Me!!!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by WBC, Sep 1, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been watching films for as long as I can remember and when I was a kid my favourite genre was horror :devil: (used to watch them with my dad, you can't beat a real fright to get you going!!!!!)

Anyway, I can't remember a horror film in the last 10years that has served its purpose. Anyone got any suggestions of a good horror flick that is genuinely creepy or is guaranteed to make you jump????

Recently viewed garbage includes Jeepers Creepers, Ghost Ship etc etc.

Please help, I need to regain my faith in the genre!!!!!

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Try any of the following:

"Ringu" (or the Japanese original of the "Ring" series)
    - available on Tartan Video/DVD.

"Cannibal Holocaust" (if you can stomach the full, uncut version)

"Poltergeist" (the classic horror/comedy)

I can't actually think of any others, of the top of my head. Sorry.

Pooch

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    Alien but I supose you have seen that one.

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Poltergeist is a great film and I'd like to pick it up on DVD when they re-release.

Haven't tried the others but will give them a go.....

Again Alien was a great film but personally I would really class it as a horror flick. I can't remember it scaring me the first time I watched it and I must have been about 7 or 8yrs old!!!!

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    I thought Cube was unsettling if not actually scary (the FX are a little ropey for that).

6. luv ya jen

luv ya jen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you know that alien is being re edited and remasterd for a stint at the pictures soon might be worth a look

7. ruddles

ruddles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try...
    Paper House
    Rosemarys Baby
    Dark Water

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    The Omen :)

The Shining

Freddy vs Jason is a fairly good gore romp, not really scary horror though.

Ringu is definately the scariest film I have seen that has been released recently. I think people have forgotten how to make horror.

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Two Dario Argento classics, stand the test of time and beats most of the pap on offer.

Susperia & Tenbre, very good, if you get them, make sure its the R2 Anchor bay versions, nbot the R0 as the R0 versions are worst than a bad video!

I also like Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw and some asian films such as Ring, The Eye, and Dark Water.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mothman Prophecies is the last film I saw where I was so scared I was rooted to the sofa, I had to pluck up the courage to walk over to the light swtich and turn the lights on. It got really bad reviews but quite a few people I know have seen it and thought it was really scary, even blokes! Apart from that most horror films these days are more funny than scary.

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Really!!
    Bored the pants off me.

Evil Dead the daddy of them all.
    Ringu superb, The Ring remake is OK but knowhere near as good.
    The Thing which is a film from my childhood (14/15yr old) that evokes great memories of being sat in a darkened room when everyone else had gone to bed and I stayed up and watched it on TV, christ it was scary.
    Alien, the sequels were poor in comparison.

I agree with Sinzer on this one in that I too believe they have simply forgotten how to make really scary films.

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think that it's a case that 'they' are not making films scarey anymore - it's just that you guys are all older now !

I remember hiding behind the sofa whilst watching Dr. Who, and seeing quite a films that scared the pants off me when I was a child, but I could not possibly see how a film would actually scare me now.

Don't really see how a 33 year old bloke like me can get scared whilst watching a film.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Try watching Ringu at 2am with all the lights off and no one else around. I don't get scared if I watch the films with my mates but on my own in the wee hours of the morning I get scared!

Halloween, The Fog, The Shining, The Omen all scare me if I am on my own. No modern film does.

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is! Another fan, super. Plus it's absolutely hilarious!

Stay away from 'Cannibal Holocaust' as it's just sick and quite frankly disgusting and even I (believe me I've one hell of a tollerance to this sort of thing) didn't regard it as entertaining.

I'm still a 'Blair Witch' fan, if you get past the false hysteria, expectations etc etc, it's a very effective horror film, and when you're alone in the dark or (god forbid) in the woods, you'll realise that its premise is absolutely terrifying.

Oh and, did I mention The Exorcist? Simply brilliant in a 'heart attack inducing' sort of way.

15. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Poltergeist available in R1..:D

16. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dfield2000

Kinda agree with ya, (not sure about Dr Who though :p )

Thing is......when these old horrors were released they were '18' certificate, they were aimed at the adult market.

Excorcist, Omen, Halloween, Evil Dead etc all had there place and definately had moments where everybody jumped or felt 'creeped out'

I've always watched horrors with all the lights out, its the only way forward, problem is, irrelevant of age (I'm 31) I don't believe they make them like they used to. Perhaps its the way the industry has progressed, we see killing and murder in movies rated 12 so perhaps we've all hardened to it?????

There is definately scope though.....................DVD and HC sound are a perfect platform to scare the **** out of ya!!!! If the soundtrack was used to its potential it could provide the atmosphere we are looking for. I remember watching 'The Others' and although was not overly impressed with the film (it was OK) I thought the soundtrack was superb, it definately set the scene and the use of certain effects made me jump a few times.

The opportunity is there I just don't think the potential has been noted. We need to get back to Horrors that aren't about Gore, they need to be more intelligent than that, there are various filming techniques etc that can play a more significant role.

Just my two pence

Still looking for suggestions!!!!

17. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very fair point Stace. The horror genre can be summed up by an excess of murdering of characters you really don't care about. It's become more about gore and soundtrack volume than sheer visceral horror (that's why I like the Blair Witch, there's no backing music and it's still terrifying).

There wasn't Dolby Digital and there certainately wasn't DVD 20-30 years ago, in which case to really scare people film-makers had to be more innovative and psychological.

Whereas today it seems whilst every other section of the film industry is progressing and improving the Horror genre isn't just devloving, it's slurring into a giant melting pot of sound, volume and gore, which won't interrupt you sleeping at night!

18. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ...... the music for Dr Who used to do it for me as a kid....used to watch the whole programme peering over the top of a cushion.:D

I Remember seeing Jaws for the first time & when the head popped into view from the underwater hole in the boat I nearly choked on a crisp.

Also used to love the horror black & white double bills on BBC2 saturday nights as a kid. Films like "Them" (with the giant ants).

Can't remember being scared of a movie in adulthood though, I think I've probably seen too much disgusting stuff in real life for it to have effect.

19. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought ringu was dull as dish water. those's faces:rolleyes:

20. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of sounding macho only 2 films have made me jump in my adult life and that's a combination of the visual action and the loud accompanying sound. Resident Evil and The Relic very wisely use sound to make you jump and when you listen to it at reference level it works, only the first time of course cos when you expect it it's different.

21. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't Sinitta make a record about you ???? :laugh: :laugh:

22. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's a case of us all growning up. Evil dead scared the be- jesus out of me as a boy. Now i laugh my head off. I always like the first amityvill though

23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Children of the corn is quite amusing and fairly scary too! Those kiddies eyes!