1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go halves on a pair of Q15s ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GearHead, Dec 26, 2001.

1. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody interested in going halves on a new pair of KEF Q15s ?

I've been trying to decide on what to go for as a centre channel speaker to match my pair of KEF Q15s. Should I go for the Q95 or splash out on the Model 100. The Q95 seems poor value when it costs as much as a pair of Q15s and won't even be that great a match - being in a smaller enclosure, the frequency response is quite different. The Model 100 has a good reputation but uses a different drive unit to the Q range.

I've just realised that the best match is going to be another Q15. Even if I have to buy a pair it will still be no more expensive than the Q95 but will be much better matched. Even for those users of Q35s or 55s I reckon it'll be a better match than the Q95 (and cheaper !).

So, anybody out there interested ?

GearHead.

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agsolutely agree. If you've read my comments re these, or any dedicated centre speakers in the past you will know why. Go for a pair of Q15' and dont worry about having one over.
    With new channels constantly being added to surround sound formats, I'm sure this can be made use of at a later date.

Happy Holidays
    Eric

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Should get Q15 for £100 a pair nowdays. What colour are you thinking about?

4. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,

Not too worried about the colour. If I went this way I'll probably build it into a shelf directly below the TV. When I've finished the cabinet won't be visible.

If you know where to get them @ £100/pair I might even get a pair for the rear to replace my Mordaunt Short CS-1s.

5 x Q15s, sounds good to me.

GearHead

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Allan,

You are on the right train of thought about getting another q15 for your centre. As you have correctly pointed out using the same cabinet volume with the Q driver will give a far better tonal match than a designed centre speaker. If you look at the top end Speaker packages you will see that the centre is always identical to the L&R speakers, (Kef tdm,M&K etc).

Buy two, and when you upgrade to 6.1 you can use the extra Q15 for your rear centre (presuming you go the Yamaha route again in the future).

And when you get the Rel Storm tuned right with 5 Q15's it will sound sweet!

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Just to add, make sure the Q15's are sheilded if placing near the telly.