1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go for AVSales PWD6 deal or push for a PW7?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Loada, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I know this is the same question as has been asked A MILLION times before (sorry about that :blush: ) but the AV-Sales PWD6 deal is becoming harder and harder to resist!...

My main use is Sky+ but I want to get back to watching more DVDs and also want to play a bit of XBox on it too. I'm toying with the idea of getting an amp (prolly Yamaha 750SE) to do the component switching for XBox/GC/DVD and a JS-VGA box for the Sky+ but I've also toyed with the scaler option.

My options are:

1) PWD6 deal, get free component RCA board for the XBox/GC/DVD (from amp), Sky+ into VGA via JS-VGA box

2) PW7, same connections

3) PHD7 + Lumagen scaler (the budget-busting option)

It's well documented that the PWD6 is great plasma but my main worries are that it doesn't support a "true" HDTV resolution (I want to sign upto Sky-HD when it arrives) and I want to make the most of 720p DVD/Xbox stuff. Option 3 pretty much attempts to futureproof, using a scaler to make the most of the current Sky+/DVD pictures. Of course, the cheaper the better (I have a wife and two kids to feed).

Just wanted some opinions (or better options?), particularly from the retailers/experts (Gordon, MAW, Joe, Liam etc). Alastair, feel free to comment, if you can remain unbiased! :laugh:

2. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I to am at the same point as you, and I think im going for option 3 without the scaler at the moment, ie best pannel but no bolt on's, I must admit I was soooooo close to the pw6 purchase, and suprise suprise it was my wife who asked why I wasnt going to spend £800 more of our money getting a better plasma :smashin:

3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I couldn't resist AV Sales offer so I bought a PW6 and I'm very happy except with the performance sometimes on Sky (solarisation). There's been so much written about this that I'm sure you've read - but I confess that I hadn't read Joe and MAWs views that the HD Panny is much better in this respect before I purchased. Would I spend the extra £800 for HD now? Not sure quite honestly as it's still a lot more money. I couldn't really tell the difference when I saw the SD and HD displays in AV Sales, but then I didn't see them displaying ropey Sky signals. I should stress that I use Tivo which definitely makes it a lot worse, but the solarisation problem is still there when I bypass Tivo's processing.
    I may "upgrade" to Freeview instead and see if that makes it better!..

Simon