GMail Help Please

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just got a new phone, a Samsung A52S, and am trying to setup the email client - I've picked GMail as it seemed the most obvious choice.

By default it has my GMail email account already set up - this is an account that I barely use.

I have managed to add my main email account which is a traditional mail server account using IMAP, and it works.

And I have a hotmail account to add but I haven't done that yet.

What I'm struggling with is the presentation of the emails. What I would like, and what I had on my old phone, is my accounts displayed separately. All I seem to be able to achieve on GMail is a single inbox that has either just my GMail account separated or ALL accounts mixed together.

I have tried googling, found lots of suggestions, but possibly they are talking about older versions because the selections they describe aren't there when I try.

I'd like to set my main account as the default and I'd like to have each account displayed separately so it is clear to see which emails are on my main account, which are on my GMail account and which are on my Hotmail account.

Is this possible or should I ditch GMail and use something else?

Cheers,

Nigel

BAE9DFE6-302F-4FA0-9C10-F3E785B1E734.jpeg
So, first up, this is on iOS so I’m not sure if this will work for you.

At the top right, within the search bar, there is a circle. Click on that and you will be given the option to pick an individual account and will also be able to see how many unread emails are within each account.

This is my phone showing my Gmail account and outlook beneath it. Choosing either will take you its specific inbox.

Can you do this on Android and is this what you meant?

View attachment 1583453So, first up, this is on iOS so I’m not sure if this will work for you.

At the top right, within the search bar, there is a circle. Click on that and you will be given the option to pick an individual account and will also be able to see how many unread emails are within each account.

This is my phone showing my Gmail account and outlook beneath it. Choosing either will take you its specific inbox.

Can you do this on Android and is this what you meant?
This is similar to what happens in Gmail for Android when using my Pixel 3a.

The outlook app works well, allowing to show either all email accounts or just a selected account.

The outlook app works well, allowing to show either all email accounts or just a selected account.

On my iPad, the view shows all the accounts as 'folders' with an indication of how many new emails against each.

And then you can expand them as you wish. You can also choose the order of the accounts so I pick which one is the main.

With GMail I can't seem to set the default account - it just seems to be my infrequently used GMail account and I can't change that. Makes sense they would prioritise their own product.

Sure my previous Android phone displayed emails in a similar way but possibly I was using the Samsung Mail app (can't recall).

It's workable at the moment but I may look at other email apps.

Cheers,

Nigel

@nheather heres some screen shots showing outlook app for reference.
Screenshot_20211010-120453.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-120500.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-120511__01.jpg

Ps. Not seen you post for a while, do you not post much these days?

@nheather heres some screen shots showing outlook app for reference.
View attachment 1584269View attachment 1584270View attachment 1584271
Ps. Not seen you post for a while, do you not post much these days?

Many thanks for that, looks good, I will try that one.

AVF - At the end of last year I decided to step away from certain AVF forums because I felt I was getting bullied. Also I began to realise that I was spending far to much on my time on AVF. I'm still around but just on specific technology forums so my post rate has dropped right off.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel

Many thanks for that, looks good, I will try that one.

AVF - At the end of last year I decided to step away from certain AVF forums because I felt I was getting bullied. Also I began to realise that I was spending far to much on my time on AVF. I'm still around but just on specific technology forums so my post rate has dropped right off.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nigel
Sorry to hear that, always thought your posts were well thought out and reasonable, so wouldn't have thought they would have attracted that sort of attention.

My main email is Microsoft, but I also have a Gmail account I use for select services, such as Android. I just run them in their respective apps, so only one click away from the home screen to each inbox, rather than using one app, then the number of taps needed to switch accounts each time.

Hey Nigel, long time no speak.

I've just gone through this as an iOS to Android switcher and find now "perfect" app yet. Though I must admit FairEmail comes very close and does what you want. On my Samsung for some stupid reason I can't have it as a default mail app (such that links from other apps for email open that one) so I had to go back to GMail. But perhaps your model is more lucky or for you that isn't important.

FairEmail is very good, very privacy orientated as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom