Glycol - much demand???

Chris Frost

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a few of us have gone through the defungusing process with 7" tubes, and after filtering there's usually a need for some additional glycol to top-up the tube. So...is there enough demand to justify the effort of sourcing and packaging glycol in small volumes for top ups?

Definitely, also what about coloured glycol for complete replacement on red and green tubes? VERY difficult to get a hold of, if not impossible!

Would there be a great deal of difference if clear was used instead?

You will also need to use the HT version of gel.

(NO - its not a clever pun of words for CRTers)

HT stands for high temprature in gels

other wise they crinkle

This might be a daft question - I've seen a picture of the liquid coupling of a lens in front of a tube - can an AC lens assembly be made into an LC assembly with the use of some sealing gaskets or silicon?

Gary.

Enough that I'm getting two - one over the weekend and one in a couple of weeks time! :)

I find the best way to learn is with hands-on, so that's what i'm going to do....

Gary.

I've always found the stuff a pig to get hold off - partically the coloured variety.

I'm sure there would be demand.

There is a guy in scandanavia that makes the coloured stuff with printer ink dye... He claims it to be better than the manufacturers and wants an arm and a leg for it.

What crts you getting Gary?

A little Seleco SVP310 and possibly a Sony in a few weeks. Should prove very interesting as I find my way around them.

Gary

Oh no!!! It'll drive you mad Gary, take up knitting or something, anything but crt!

Most folks usually get only one pj to start with :eek:

Which Sony? G70? If its not, you'll not rest until you get one you know. Its the slippery slope to.... to.... well, its the slippery slope I tell ya :devil:

I spent more time tinkering with crt's than I did actually watching movies - mind you, I don't think tinkering will bother you in the slightest :thumbsup:

Have fun!
Edit: Sorry Chris, off topic here, my apologies.
Paul

Hi Paul,

It's not a G70 but a 1041QM. Not sure what either will be like but it'll be fun finding out. The 310 should just fit through the enlarged lofthatch and go on the floor in front of the seats, but I'll have a play with it on the bench first where I can get better access and visibility. The Sony is an unknown but will be another learning curve.

I'll be asking lots of questions and advice etc as I go of course. :)

Can non LC lenses/tubes be modified to LC without changing them?

Gary.

Boy Lex said:
There is a guy in scandanavia that makes the coloured stuff with printer ink dye... He claims it to be better than the manufacturers and wants an arm and a leg for it.

What crts you getting Gary?
I read some info on AVS re: dying glycol. Does anyone know for sure if the ink dyes mix properly and are UV colour fast. Any links to further info would be appreciated :)

Gary Lightfoot said:
This might be a daft question - I've seen a picture of the liquid coupling of a lens in front of a tube - can an AC lens assembly be made into an LC assembly with the use of some sealing gaskets or silicon?

Gary.
Worth doing with a good 8" or a 9" non-LC pj, but not with a 7" 15kHz video only jobbie. Cheap colour corrected lenses might be a useful option though. :)

Godfather was after getting his AC Barco 808s converted to LC - have you any tips in how he could go about doing a DIY conversion like I suggested (gaskets or silicon)? Or would changing the lenses be the better option?

Have you ever seen colour corrected gel filters used on a CRT? I guess they would cut down the light output too much though.

Gary.

Gary Lightfoot said:
Have you ever seen colour corrected gel filters used on a CRT? I guess they would cut down the light output too much though.

Gary.
There's been quite a lot of talk about this on AVS, but it comes bottom of the heap below coloured glycol, colour corrected lenses and the full LC & C.C. Lenses bag of smashing.

If you want to try filter gels then Lee Lighting make ones suitable for the optical path. This would be a better choice perhaps than the lighting gels by Rosco :) They'd be easy to fit to either the Sony or Seleco and you could measure the results with your analyser.

I have a Lees filter swatch of colours so that might be useful depending on how I can make use of the strips. What kind of colour correction is possible on the Selecos Chris? RGB gain/cuts and gamma too?

Gary.

On the gel thoughts.....

This is worth trying for those with little budget. It does reduce the light output and could lead to focus issues but is worth a try.

Rosco codes as follows

Primary Red - (Not sure on this one as I dont have any in stock at the mo!)
Primary Green - SG #91
Primary Blue - SG #80

Blue is not normally used but you could try it.

Note: the gel is very static sensitive - it will pick up every single little bit of dust you put it near!
You can buy it per sheet or per roll - a sheet will do about 16-20 tubes at a guess

I will try and get some Red in (I have blue and green here) in case anybody wants to try it....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom