1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glossary of common TV buzz words.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stejcoolj, Jan 19, 2004.

1. stejcoolj

stejcoolj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody.. anybody?
    There's a lot of jargon used on these forums and I understand some of it but not all. Can someone help with the following (I know most, but thought I would include the common ones):

Smearing
    Haloing
    Pixelisation
    Moiring
    Convergence
    Flicker
    Dirty screen
    Colour bleed

I only ask because I have ordered an FX68 and according to the threads the only problem some people have noticed is flicker. Apparently flickering is a 50 hz trait whilst the FX68 is a 100hz TV. What exactly is flicker? Could I be confusing it with smearing?Blah, blah, blah...

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll try and clarify :zonked:

Smearing: When movement occurs, traces of the object take a while to "catch up" with the moving main object

Halos: A shimmering surround usually around a moving object, common to all MPEG compressed material, worsened by Digital Natural Motion on 1st generation Philips Pixel+ TVs.

Pixelisation: Picture appears blocky and made up of little sqaures. Common to all MPEG compressed material (i.e. all digital broadcastss and DVDs) the greater the compression, the poorer the picture. The effect is exaggerated with larger TVs and those that enhance the sharpness of the picture. Sit far away and the effect diminishes.

Moiré: A phenomenon caused by interference between the pattern of the TVs shadow mask and the displayed image. Fold over a piece of netting or net curtain and move it to see the effect.

Covergence: Correct alignment of the Red, Green and Blue components of the pictures.

Flicker: a picture that appears to be or has components that are moving very quicly about the same point.

Dirty screen: A screen that appears to be "unclean" when displaying a light colour. When a camera pans, the effect is very noticeable.

Colour bleed: Colour appears to leak beyond the borders of a particular object, somtimes caused by poor convergence.

:lesson:

Phew! Hope this is of help ;)

Mods: perhaps we could start a sticky with common terms for newbies?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought I had a dirty screen on my Tosh P\F 2 , when watching football on Sky ,then I bought a projector and it was still there ,so it must be Sky,s cameras that need cleaning!!!!
    Jim

4. jsync

jsync
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok then, what's banding???

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vertical bar running down the middle of the screen? Thats nothing to do with sky, thats down to your Toshiba set. Im never buying a Toshiba set ever again because of that.

6. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what are the symptoms of bad convergence?

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    'Orrible tinges to particularly the edges of shapes and on lines in the picture.
    On a white line you should see it as just that; white is made of the correct ratios of the 3 primary video colours
    (RGB). If convergence is bad you'll see individual red, green and/or blue lines slightly separated from each other.
    Because the convergence accuracy varies over different parts of the screen, tending to be worse at the edges, a horizontal line that is not meant to be coloured pure red (or green or blue) will tend to show this divergence up best.
    This is far easier to show in a picture than to explain.
    Anyone wanna post a good weblink that demonstrates a badly converged screen.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

8. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Umm, what vertical bar???

My mate has a 36" p/f 1, I've seen a p/f 2 and I own a 51" RPTV...never seen the effect. I've seen the staining effect on the p/f 1, otherwise I really don't know what you refer to, and I've looked!

9. AllanJ

AllanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot re-gas a plasma. Should there be a problem with gas loss (you're just unlucky enough to have a seal fail) or with the phosphors (most likely caused to too high contrast or prolonged still or static subject matter) you will need to replace the entire panel.

Pixelisation can also occur if the processing [of the DVD player of HDTV tuner box or whatever] is insufficient to keep up with the amount of motion in the scene. The more evil alternative to leaving some parts of the picture with a coarse checkerboard appearance is to fail to finish the bottom half of the picture giving a torn appearance as the bottom lags behind the top.

Smearing -- Also, due to limited chrominance resolution on some video sources, two side by side color patches are blended together where they meet.

Scarf (did you mean SCART) connections can carry composite, S-video, RGB, and component one at a time. It depends on what the TV or DVD player or other device is set up to do, with a manual selection if you are offered a choice. The official SCART standard voltages for RGB are slightly different from RGB in the U.S. although most of the time it works OK with minor adjustments to brightness, contrast, etc.

Bad convergence -- Look closely at some color newpaper pictures. Chances are you will find one where the colors (magenta, yellow, cyan are used) do not line up making subject matter blurry with "rainbowy" edges.

Sticky -- Forum thread that remains near the top of the list. Vaguely suggestive of a computer monitor plastered with (sticky on the back) Post It (tm) Notes along the edges.

Video glossary:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidglos.htm

Have you ever seen a double pane window fogged up inside? A seal has failed and water vapor got in, and if the panes don't come apart you have to replace the entire glass section.

10. shymonk

shymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a lot of the effects discussed can be caused by the enviroment in which the equpment is placed. i am constantly haranged by customers refering to this forum(why i had to join) about issues they would like to blame on manufactures that are simply enviromental(sic)...not popular but true (TV installer)

11. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys,

Another new question, What is black crushing

12. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Black Crushing:

Out of interest i did a quick web search to find out what this means, here are the only 2 helpfull nuggets i found:

"Loss of low light (shadow) detail caused by adjusting luminance information below the Black Level."

"the dark greys merge into the blacks (black-crushing)"

Makes some sense to me now.

Cheers, Brim.

13. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I read in the Samsung thread about the need to "defeat SVM and CTI/LTI" via the service menu. What are these and what should they be defeated?

14. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41

SVM - Scan Velocity Modulation
    Its a picture processing feature which supposedly improves the picture quality but many people prefer to switch off picture processing features on their TV set. A setting like SVM is usually only accesable via the TVs service menu and not the standard menus.

CTI - Chrominance Enhancement
    LTI - Luminance Enhancement
    A processing algorithm to minimise shadowing or ghosting effects, improves colour shifts and sharpness of the picture as a whole. Again, people like to turn off processing features like this.

15. hamster

hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    SVM is aimed at reducing the slight comet tail on the screen from the moving illuminated spot. By slowing the spot before a dark / light transition, the tail is reducied giving a sharper edge.
    Badly-designed circuits can often make it worse.

CTL and LTI are Colour / Luminance Transient Improvement - this is a signal processing which sharpens the edges of colour and light / dark transitions. Many setmakers (in my view especially Samsung) completely overdo it, adding a "cutout" effect to edges.

16. clemenzina

clemenzina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I noticed this effect on the Polaroid LCD TV in my dentist's waiting room, hence postponed venturing into LCD even further. Didn't realise it was a turn-offable effect.

Oh well, I can't afford one now anyway :rolleyes:

clemenzina