Glitchy pictures on sky+ service

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sp33dy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. sp33dy

sp33dy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

For a start, I must say sorry. I've scanned the forums here for the answer to my questions, but I really can't fathom which is the right one. I'm very techy, but still lost in some of the terminoloy here.

I've had a sky+ installation now for around a year. I've just received the letter asking if I want the extended warrantee (I didn't intend too, anyone out there think I should?).

After two or three weeks of having the installation in, we started noticing the picture would jump now and again. It'd usually be worse from either a recording or a nearly live recording. However, it would also jump and breakup whilst whatching a live feed.

Sky managed to help me to get it fixed by using the 'service 4 0 1 select' menu and performing a reset on the drive etc. This lasted for a good 10 months (with a very rare blip! the sound would become out of synch occassionally, to which I had to perform a power down/up).

The problem seems to be back! With a vengence and with the guarantee due to run out, I'm concerned. I've been waiting for the guarantee to run out before considering upgrading the hard drive to a larger capacity (I think 120GB is an option, it has a 40GB at the moment).

Would the upgrade help? Is it likely to be something else? I'm not sure what a LNB is, but I know I have two. Here are some specifics about my box:

V2 I think : (Card on left and play lights etc in middle).

LNB1: Sig strength always 50%
    Sig quality always 50%

LNB2: Sig strenght always 50%
    Sig quality around 60%

Pace
    Model number 3.024
    Version 9F2105
    Op Sys 1.31A8
    EPG Software Sky+ 1.28.d

LNB Low 9.75
    High 10.60
    Power Supply on
    22khz cmd on

Any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks for your time and trouble.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The signal strength and quality is quite low for a V2 Pace. Should be closer to 80% strength, and 70% quality. Assuming this was measured on a fine sunny day, this doesn't give you much room for manoeuvre when the weather turns bad. You should get your dish alignment and LNB checked.

3. sp33dy

sp33dy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

You're right. I'm being a bit of a berk. I'm near portsmouth and its very over cast today. I failed to mention that when it rains, the signal get's worse as you can imagine. I often lose the signal completely if there is even a sign of a thunder storm (you can imagine our annoyance during wimbledon). I assume this is normal?

Regards

Sp33dy