glitchy picture on many channels

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by gphillips, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

i have finally got my Media Centre running using a "SweetSpot" card. I notice that many channls freeze up a lot (picture and audio) which is odd as I live in an area with very high signal quality. My analogue picture is perfect, and my freeview box (which I intend not to use) reports maxium signal and quality and never breaks up.

THe chnannels that break up are all on the same "mulitplex" so the problem is at least consistant.

Are these cards very fussy about cables or signal strengh? DO I need to boost the signal even though it previously wasnt ever a problem?

I cant find any way of getting the card to show me signal strengh and quality. Or for that matter any options outside of MCE.

Is there something I should be doing?

2. mkonieczko

mkonieczko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Far from being an expert, simply a heavyweight user of MCE in a weak Freeview area, I would suspect that it is signal strength. IMHO I would suggest that quality of coax cable, length of run etc. are fairly critical. Lots of posts on these matters...

Internal DVB-T cards generally do not get as strong a signal as an external box. I use twin Blackgold cards and have come to accept that my distributed ariel signal (in a block of apartments in Horsham) is not good enough to get all the muxes at a sufficient strength. Having said that the picture quality on those I can recieve is outstanding.

Make sure you have good quality cables, short runs, not too many bends/kinks and consider a signal booster, although remember GIGO...

Good luck!

3. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks

Fyi I shortened the coax that ran from the wall to the card (was over 6 meters, dont ask!) and it now works a treat.

Although the cable was stupidly long, I was supprised it would have such an impact as this was fine on the freeview box.

Anyway Im happy! Thanks.