1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

glitching problem...........

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cosmic023, Nov 3, 2003.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I've got a really annoying problem with my freeview box (Pioneer DBF100)

It's not a fault the box, but when some vehicles that go past outside the signal glitches. As this is a busy road, it can get VERY annoying !!

What can i do to solve the problem, well apart from moving house !! :D

The signal strength varies from 55% up to 90% depending on channel, could it be an antenna problem ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

2. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cosmic, try the aerial on a 10 foot mast or swap it for a high gain aerial. The signal strength should be aroung 91% with 100% signal quality.

3. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Rose,

That would be nice, but we live in a valley, and i'm using a high gain aerial with a high gain booster.

Normal analogue tv signals have problems with ghosting but the pq is sharp and clear, that's why i went for a freeview box to lose the ghosting problem.

I think i might have to speak to an local aerial installer, and see what they can do ??

Cheers

Cosmic

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Change the booster for a mast head amp. If the booster is close to the TV, then any interfearence picked up is also amplified. A mast head amp should boots the signal before any interfearence so the signal should be stronger and less suseptable to interfearence.
    Also use a single lead from the aerial all the way to the digi box as coax fly leads will pick up noise. Also if the cable from the aerial is old you should replace it with double shielded satalitte coax cable.

All the above should help, but will not total cure the 'Glitches'.

Mark.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Glitches like this are often caused by RFI and EMI from passing vehicles, replace you power cables with RFI/EMI rejecting ones and it may sort you out. Remember regular copper cables act like huge antennas for passing RFI/EMI.

Check out someone like Russ Andrews at http://www.russandrews.com/ because he has good (free to download) literature to explain it all; but then shop around and get similar things for much less money.

StooMonster

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Cheers for the replies.......i'll look into putting some of those ideas into action soon.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But isn't it likely that RFI or EMI are affecting the aerial cable run as well?

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi cerebros,

Yeah your right, mains switching also affects the signal on the digibox.

I'm gonna replace all of the coax with hq digital satelite coax, hopefully that will be an improvement for now.

Cheers

Cosmic023

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read about this in "The Freeview Bible". From memory:

The coax cable must be a single run of double-shielded (as someone said) AND must be kept as far from the road and from mains wiring as possible. It must not run parallel to mains wiring within 300mm.

Any joints must be fully shielded.

The aerial should be as far from the road as possible and preferably pointing away from the road.

A log-periodic aerial is best at rejecting impulse noise.

Hope that helps.

10. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Fernsehman,

Many thanks for the tips........is this bible on the Freeview site ??

One thing i didn't put in my original post, is that the aerial is in the roof rafters, and the booster is connected via a 1ft screened cable to the High Gain Aerial. As for pointing away from the road, most aerials in the street are pointing in a direction towards the road. (That's what it looks like to me !!)

But the cable from the booster is standard coax, but as stated in an earlier post, i'll be replacing this coax with proper double screened digital / satelite coax.

Hopefully this will take care of the glitches, i'm currently in the process of redoing the attic, into a proper home theatre, so i'll plan to keep all audio / signal cables away from mains cables. When the two have to meet, they will cross at 45 degree angles. Is this correct ??

I would like to have a new aerial put on the roof, but funds are going on the HT upgrade. I could ask a local aerial installer to replace one of the exsisting aerials, with the high gain one and have a new masthead amplifier connected to both aerials ??

This HT stuff can get very challenging at times :D

Cheers

Cosmic023