Glitch with Loewe TV - annoying or broken?

J

jhubbard

Hi, a few weeks ago I bought a Loewe Aventos from tv & video direct to replace my dodgy old wharfdale thing, partly from recommendations on this forum.

First off, it's a fantastic tv and I really couldn't find fault with it until a few days ago. Occasionally, with no pattern I can see, it makes a loud click and the screen flashes brighter, then returns to normal. Sometimes a few minutes apart, sometimes it'll be fine for hours.

So basically, any ideas on what's causing this? Or is the tube knackered and replacement the only option?

And how is Loewe pronounced anyway? :confused:

Thanks
James

Power supply causing spikes? Dodgy capacitors?

My Trinitron monitor does it, so does an old sony 14" TV.

but...
If it is bugging you, get it changed. However as I have found the replacement may have other faults which could lead you to want that replaced and so on and on and on, until you wish you had never bought the thing.

I would get it changed or repaired under the warranty straight away as this doesn't sound right. BTW it's pronounced 'ler-ver'!

Just remembered, a new 14" Sony did this to me twice once (aswell as the old one in the above post).

This sounds like a problem that my Loewe Aconda developed recently. If I run it in from cold, after about half an hour I start to get the odd flash on the picture and a sort of crackle sound from the cabinet. Once it has started you only need tap the back panel / top of the set lightly to trigger this.

I find that if I mute the TV I can prolong the time it takes before this starts to occur, which suggests to me that it is aggravated by vibrations in the cabinet. The retailer advised it is probably a dry joint that will need re-soldering. A fairly straightforward fix.

My only gripe is it took them a week to get an engineer out (last Thursday) who basically noted the serial number and aranged for someone to collect it (tomorrow - following Thursday)!!! I'll get a "courtesy set" in the meantime, just hope it doesn't take too long. If the set is brand new then you may want to push for a replacement from the retailer.

This sounds a bit similar to a problem that my 13 month (!!!!!) old Aconda9381 has recently developed.

Everytime I switch the set on from cold it spends the first 5 minutes or so crackling and humming through the speakers and disturbing the picture (in a way that is similar to what happens when there is an electrical storm nearby). Eventually it settles down after one final crackle and then everything is OK for as long hours as I leave the set on for.

Whilst it's in the problem phase I only have to gently tap the lower rear of the set to induce the problem.

I'm having it looked at and probably taken away this Friday by a Loewe approved service engineer, so I'll report back when I have more information.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed that a set of this price and quality has gone so wrong so quickly, but perhaps I'm just the unlucky guy. Whatever the case, I wouldn't swap it for anything else and am looking forward to having it sorted as soon as possible!

The set has also occassionally clicked every hour or so, but I believe that this is simply the tube expanding as it warms up.

Ian

Ianbe - Amazing - my set is 14 months old!

It's getting picked up tomorrow afternoon so I'll report back when I know more.

It's reassuring to hear that I am not the only person with this fault, but I am also slightly disappointed having paid the premium for the Loewe reputation for quality.

Originally posted by bugfinder
Ianbe - Amazing - my set is 14 months old!

So is mine - I'll be on the lookout for this problem but thankfully I haven't noticed at as yet.

Now there's a funny thing. I have a similar problem on my Aconda (almost two years old, I think); occasional pops and crackles through the TV speakers, even if the sound is muted.

Since it only started happening shortly after I bought a Sky+ at the end of last year, I assumed that this was causing the problem. However, I've since discovered that it happens even if the Sky+ isn't plugged in, although to a lesser extent. It almost seems as though it is dependant on the video signal; it happens more on lower quality channels than others.

It doesn't affect the picture, though. At least, it didn't until the point where it went bang and the whole set stopped working...

It's been repaired once, but needs to go back in. It's just a huge pain to have to wait in for collection and delivery, and to have to watch TV on a 14" portable for a week.

David

Originally posted by purple52
Since it only started happening shortly after I bought a Sky+ at the end of last year, I assumed that this was causing the problem. However, I've since discovered that it happens even if the Sky+ isn't plugged in, although to a lesser extent.

Just before the problem started to occur on my set I had made two changes to my set up - new subwoofer, and a Pace DTVA adaptor.
I therefore thought it was the Pace box that was the problem, then I did some tests eliminating various add ons - Gamecube, DVD player etc and the fault still occurs.

It's interesting that your fault also came about after installing Sky. Perhaps the Loewe DTV upgrade would be a safer option...?

Can anyone who has this upgrade report back on performace?

Originally posted by bugfinder
Perhaps the Loewe DTV upgrade would be a safer option...? Can anyone who has this upgrade report back on performace?

Unless they've changed the DTV module since last time I investigated, it only decodes free digital satellite channels.

David

(DTV) - Bit of a no-brainer then, that one.

Have just spoken to Loewe who advised that it sounded like a dry joint. The only issue that has been highlighted from Germany is regarding the audio heat syncs. It is possible that this could be linked (not enough soldering?? I am no engineer!) - though obviously it is difficult to give a proper diagnosis over the phone.
The fault does mostly occur when the set is running warm and the sound is on.

They are going to contact the service engineer to make sure they are aware of this when conducting the bench test.

All speculation at the moment, but I thought the audio heat sync issue was worth reporting.
Cheers
Dan

It's a bit worrying that this problem seems to be quite common...

Regarding the satelite / cable issue, I'm pretty sure it clicked / flashed when I was playing Zelda on Gamecube as well. I guess the dodgy soldering idea is most likely (the connection could expand as it heats up and make a better contact or something I suppose, but I'm no engineer either...), I'll do some more "testing" and see what happens before I call the supplier.

Thanks for the replies.

my set was picked up about 2 and a half weeks ago. This morning the set was returned and I am unable to say whether the original problem was fixed as there is now a new fault - :mad: aarrrgggh!!!!

The TV speaker now buzzes... Didn't do that before... :suicide:

The chaps from Endeva therefore put it straight back in the box and took it off with them back to the workshop. Wonderful!

I know my TV is not a Lowe but my cheapo JMB televison set started to do that right before it went completely, it has now been written off and cannot be fixed.

I've waited over a month for a new TV, my patience is now thin. Cannot believe this kind of thing can happen to ANY TV less than 2 years old.

Well, I have finally got my set back this afternoon after about 5 weeks!!! Hopefully it is indeed fixed, though I won't know for sure until it has warmed up. If you hear no more from me then assume it was successfully fixed.

Should this be the case, then be advised it was a re-solder of the audio heat syncs that cured the fault.

Juts seen this old thread.

I have a 28" Xelos TV that's been troublesome for two years.

I've recently had it returned after 3 months mainly because the repairers have gone into liquidation.

This is the second time it's been fixed. Each time the set goes bang and won't come on again.

Now it's back I've noticed an annoying click and crackle regardless of what I'm watching every 20-30 minutes. Could this be another dry connection?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom