1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glazer,Will he destroy ManU

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by madcyril, May 12, 2005.

1. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    It seems Magnier and McManus have sold out to Glazer.This man may well bring my club down.This man is bad for Utd and bad for football.

Worrying times ahead methinks :(

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Much as I don't particularly like Manchester United, I do hope that you can resist this bloke and stop him from taking over.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    So you believe he is spending £800m+ just to deliberately try and destroy the club? :confused:

4. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    he as borrowed most of the money and his wealth has been made up by assett stripping,this guy is no Roman.

5. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Time will only tell with Glazier, there must be a reason he is buying Man U, they are one of the only clubs they do make a profit and i guess he thinks he can sell them to Amercia. Im guessing he knows this is English football and not Amercian football with those motorcycle messengers kicking a rugby ball around. If Chelski lost Roman then the club would pretty much collapse.

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Why is it going to be in his interest to destroy the club?

Asset stripping is pointless. The value of the team & tangible assets is far lower than the £800m+ he is spending.

Surely the best way for him to get a return on his investment is to ensure that Man U are successful on the pitch?

7. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    With Chelski that is a possibility though if they continue to be successful with business management they should be ok without Romans millions,Sucess breeds money.The thing with Glazer is if he gains outright control of Man U the club will be immediately in debt as they money he has borrowed is against Uniteds assets.Abramovich used his back pocket change investing in Chelski.

8. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you will find that one of the issues here is that in order to service the very (really - very) large borrowings that he will be taking one of his first objectives will be to unlink United from the collective TV deal.

Now put aside your hatred (if appropriate) of United for one moment. Most people realise that United, along with a few others, are the major box office TV attractions. They will earn the TV companies the biggest revenue in terms of advertising and subscribers etc.

Given that the TV revenue pot is only so big, unlinking the collective deal means that United (and Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, ...struggling now) will get a much bigger share. What are the rest gonna get. That's right - a significantly smaller share. Good for football? You decide.

People have complained about the rich gettin richer - well its just about to get worse if Glazer arrives.

9. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm looking forward to some Extra-time Multi-ball.....

Team Manchester anyone...

10. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The collective TV deal is made with the premier league, not the clubs. It is not possible for a club to leave on their own. Even overseas TV rights are owned by the league, not by the club. It's the same with the Champions League. Uefa own the rights, and only they can sell the rights to a CL game.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Man U is going the same way as Leeds...

;)

12. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Correct. But I think you may be aware of Eurpoean competition laws on this. The EU looked very closely at this last time the deal was made. Now, should a club complain that the deal was restricting their ability to market their product it is highly likely that this whole situation will be revisited by the EU. Glazers financial assumptions will in part be based on the unlinking of this deal. Make no mistake - he will be going for this in an extremely aggresive way - he needs to.

Believe me, Leeds will look like a missed payment on your credit card compared to this.

13. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Who the F are ManU. Don't you mean the Salford Buccaneers?

Anyone for a shrimp bagel?

14. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have just read some of the comments by Mark Longden, spokesman for the so called Independent Manchester United Supporters Association. He sounds like a right plonker:

On hearing that Magnier and McManus had sold up and made, wait for it, £70 million PROFIT, he said: "We did not expect the Irish to sell, especially at three pounds a share."

Someone's offering them the chance to make £70 million profit, and he didn't expect them to sell?

It just cracks me up.

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it does get upsetting when people just swan in and think they can just buy something that means so much to everybody, just because they can throw some money around. I mean thats just not uniteds way...

Excuse me while i split my sides

16. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any sympathy I may have had (admittedly little) for the red scum fans quickly evaporated with all this talk of "Utd not for sale".

Just who do they think owns the club?
    Utd was sold years ago and their success in recent years has been built on that sale. Complaining about it now is just too rich.

Season tickets £999 next year ?

Hotdogs £9.99

Beer £7.99

Prawn Butty £15.99

Transfer funds £0

Sense of amusement for the rest of us - priceless !

:clap: :clap: :clap:

17. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When Glazer gets the TV rights I can see other clubs going under without Murdochs millions.

Other premiership clubs beware.

European super league anyone?

18. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You mis-understand. The United - Not for Sale is more a reference to the supporters of the club. He can buy the club - the fans are Not for Sale. At the moment I fear that the West Brom match is now my last visit to OT for years to come. There will be no purchase of United merchandise (I didn't anyway) or no prurchase of goods from Uniteds sponsors.

I'm Not for Sale. And I can assure you I am absolutely depressed tonight.

All you fans of the clubs outside the top few. Don't glory too much. The squeeze is coming. This will affect you.

And if Glazer should per-chance make a success of this. My god you lot thought United were being rammed down your throats now. This will be as nothing compared to what it will be like.

19. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You never know mate, he might move it down south, thats where most of the reds are after all

20. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And all the minted "supporters" will buy their discarded season tickets.

Wind yer necks in. If it hadn't been Glazer it would've been somebody else you would have tried to blame your current demise on.

At leats you'll save a fortune on train tickets by not "supporting" your team.

21. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Did anyone hear the fan outside the stadium tonight say they were going to boycott the club and set up there own Man U FC football club to compete with the current one!! :rotfl:

22. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This may be a simplistic view but I believe we have nothing to fear. The people who should be worried are the players. If the likes of Glazer are taking a cut of cash then the reality is that players will have to accept that their Gravy Train is over.

The only real concern would be the issue of tv rights and the prospect of having to fork out £30 a go to watch a top game. Paying £30 to get into Anfield is one thing and I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to pay it but I wouldn't start paying silly money for pay per view.

Half the fun of footy is hating your local rivals - in that respect having no Utd would certainly be a big loss.

23. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The club are starting to max out on the level of match day "customers". There is about an average over-subscription from members of about 7,500 per match. Given that the extension of the ground is designed to hold about this number any reduction of support will mean a stadium less than full on match days. I'm sure this is not on the first line of Glazers calculations

Nobody is blaming Glazer for our current demise. It is the future demise that we are concerned about.

I suspect that my "support" for United is (was?) at least the equivalent of your "support" for your club.

24. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Murdoch and Sky will be worried, Glazer will have big plans in getting hold of TV rights!!

I'm a liverpool fan and this is bad news for football and united. If he gets 75% of shares, which is likely, he's done the hard work, he will be able to delist Man U from stock exchange and transfer the money he's paid to club debt. This means he'll have to somehow further increase man u profits to cover the debt. That means higher ticket prices, less money on players etc

We could be in for Chelsea domination for years to come.

p.s. come on your reds (liverpool) in Istanbul in 2 weeks

25. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    woo the dirty scummy man u, led by that AWFUL Ferguson are finally getting what they deserved!

26. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    you don't know much about football!!!!

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I think we should try and keep this on topic rather than turn it into a slagging off of Manchester United :)

28. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And all the minted "supporters" will still buy your discarded season tickets.

Perhaps not. But all this talk of boycotting the club, cancelling supporters club memberships, not renewing season tickets, refusing to attend matches, it all just reeks of sour grapes. 3 out of 4 dismal seasons and the woodwork is bulging already. At least you can spend the money you'll save on trainfares to go private and have the splinters removed from your arse.

You have 2 perfectly good local teams you could support. I have none. That's why I choose to follow a London team. What's your reason?

And if you decide to abandon the team you "love" because of this, you are all a disgrace. You were never real supporters in the first place.

29. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,348
    Who is the fans or or the team?

30. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would think that with a name like Glazer he would have gone for Crystal Palace. Still, if Man U win the FA Cup and league next year then he will become the double glazer :)