Glass vs Wood

craig808

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm currently looking for a new rack/stand and the majority of the ones I prefer have glass shelves. I hear that glass is frowned upon by some audiophiles and wondered what the general consensus on here was.

Does placing an amp on a glass shelf really affect the sound in a negative way or is it just a myth?

Last edited:
Load of tosh.

The only consideration is the weight that is to be placed on the glass, usually stipulated in the specs with a maximum recommended safe load. That's about it. I prefer wood, doesn't show the dust up as much as glass.;)

I was thinking the same but thought I'd ask anyway.
I think you'll get more replies here. I've had a bespoke solid oak bridge made that holds my TV over my centre speaker from HiFi Racks. More expensive than glass, but to me safer and looks a lot nicer.
Hi Fi Racks Limited | Hi Fi Stands | AV Furniture | TV Stands

169014423.uJMzOyyK.jpg

As far as audio aspects, pft.

But I prefer wood.

I hear that glass is frowned upon by some audiophiles..

Well thank the good lord that I’m not one of those. Or I would of been chucked out of that club for sacrilege years ago. Probably they’re the ones that aren’t happy unless they got something to moan about.

I have both. Glass Shelves with wood sides for the main setup and a solid oak for the dining room setup. Both doing the job I bought them for with nothing negative to say or gripe about.

Thanks for the input guys. Tbh I thought as much and was struggling to see how one could be more conducive to offering a better sound than the other. I'm currently using floating glass shelves and the next rack I've looked at is also glass.

I have a room that acoustically is a nightmare and have tried to/or in the process of, dealing with reflections etc. With me hearing about glass being a no-no from various audiophiles I thought to check out opinions.

The general opinion seems to be glass is fine so that will do for me. Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Wood resonates in a frequency range that is obvious to the human ear so if your unfortunate to have the speakers in a position that excites it within the room, you may get a faint buzzing sound from it, which can be irritating and difficult to locate,(Just moving the speakers a few inches will normally fix it) in addition if the feet on the equipment are not good and the chassis in not solid, you can get vibration transfer, (Where talking equipment like CD Players here or anything with mechanical components) however if this occurs just stick a rubber mat under it.

Apart from the above there will be no difference in the sound of the system no matter what you use. (Although you will find plenty that say otherwise (Not on this site fortunately) but then they also believe that magic fairy dust added to the mix will give a night and day difference)

Bill

I've have a light smokey blue colour on my glass shelving that i'ved had for years. Hmm I wonder if green would (wood) make any difference. Load of cobblers, go with what you prefer. Lots of luv from Berekeley in America seeing one of our daughters who is doing her PhD in organic chemistry here at the university LT.

Last edited:
Glass does increase heat issues as it reflects heat, but if you have plenty of ventilation it doesn't' matter, especially as everything is solid state these days and how is a surface going to impact that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom