Glass panels for avunit

jonny m

Standard Member
Reaction score
Im considering getting some glass panels made for my ikea tv stand, the local merchant quotes £44 for 2 panels, they would be 2 panes of glass with plastic in the middle for safety and one side would be sandblasted - the side facing away from us.

I've been looking for glass hinges and the only ones I can find will have to be ordered from Germany and will need holes drilled. The glass company wants £34 just to drill 4 holes and I was wondering if it is easy to drill the holes yourself with a diamond bit?

My question is has anyone done this before? and also do your remotes work afterwards with the glass closed??

Thanks in advance

John

I went to a plastic supplier the other day to get some perspex to make a panel for an incar monitor, while i was there i saw sheets of frosted perspex and thought this would be cool for exactly the thing you are doing.

also a sheet of 8ft x 4ft was only about £30 plus vat, they will cut it to size for you and as you say far safer than glass, it is also alot lighter and you can drill straight into it.

the company is called Armari plastics and they are based in norwich, may be worth giving them a call.

Yes, but would it handle the IR commands from your remote through it? Our last tv stand was fine with this but I just can't seem to find the type of glass they used.

How did the frosted plastic look? Like glass or like plastic??

This may be a better idea after all and it means I could use regular hinges not just glass ones! The only downside would be its ability to be scratched easily, and would the wife like it???

Cheers and thanks for the info!!

John

not sure about the infa red, but as far as looks go, i thought it was glass at first.

i bet you could get enough material for the panels, hinges plus an infa red eye for about £130 total.

We've got some stuff at work that Im gonna acquire for the very same thing
Its much stronger than perspex and is used for machine guards and the like..you could always try some frosted/tinted contact too

The stuff Im getting is called Lexan I think. Its almost bullet proof and will need to be (Ive got 11 month old twin daughters who find it amusing switching channels on my Amp and hiding the Sky Digi card!!)

blimy!! 11 month old twin daughters, I only have a single 10 month old boy to deal with!

so tell me just how do you cope :)

In the 11 months, Ive aged 30 years!!! :D
We just seem to get on with it, although a good nights sleep every now and then would be nice :D

In the 11 months, Ive aged 30 years!!!
What age were you to begin with? :D

Do you think we should have a child proof forum just for this purpose???:) :)

What a great idea!! :D
We may have to ask the military for some technical information though
I.E where's best to place the Gun Turrets ;)

P.S. I am 32 but feel 62 :(
Even more so after visiting Toys R Us this afternoon. Parents fighting over toys etc!! wierd :confused:

I.E where's best to place the Gun Turrets
Yes, I did inquire about using dogs on patrol :D

Im just a baby at 31 unlike your 32 going on 62 !! :)

Im coming round to using this perspex stuff after all, seems safer with him banging some wooden toy as hard as possible on plastic rather than glass :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The big quesition is will IR still pass through, enabling us to protect our gear or will the doors be open?

Any experince guys???

Cheers
John

Im hoping the IR will pass through okay but if not .. IR sender from argos for about £50 :D

Woot! Got the Joiners at work to start on my AV Cabinet today.
Its a Monster!!! 1500 mm wide x 800mm High x 600mm Deep!!
Instead of glass or Perspex for the front doors I found some Copper Weave mesh thats normally used for Radiator covers...the holes in the mesh should make it possible for the remote's signal to get through okay, If not I can rip it out and stick some toughened glass in instead.
Its made from a Timber frame with MDF Panels and shelves with some fascia beading on the edges and for decoration.
Ive bought some Ronseal Paint & Grain (Pine) which Im gonna slap on once the 2 coats of wood primer have dried.
When I get it home I'll post a pic!!

Doh! Finished work for xmas today and forgot to bring home the Digicam!! Brought the cabinet home this afternoon (Had to get it in through the front Window!!!)
Its massive :D When I get hold of the camera I'll post a pic.
Hehehe, the kids have been trying to get into it all day :D
Childproof!!!:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom