1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glass or Plastic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gee, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm putting the finishing touches to my hush box for my Seleco LCD and I was wondering what is the best material for the window, glass or plastic/perspex? I've heard that plastic might reflect the light back. I'd like to know what other people have used.

Thanks in advance!:)

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to put some pictures up, its always interesting too see what others are up to :)

Also you could record the differences in noise levels before/after the hushbox. I was thinking of creating a hushbox but I was worried about killing the projector! :blush:

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    scuse me just what is a hush box i am new to this
    is it to reduce fan noise if so does it not effect air around the PJ
    makeing it over heat
    pat:rolleyes:

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Use glass,

Use as thin a piece as you can get awaywith 1-2mm and angle it very very slightly to stop the reflection going straight back down the lens. (or it will rattle around and come back out again as a wierd reflection)
    Don't angle it too much or you could end up with a double refracted image on screen.

Always be mindful of putting a piece of thin glass above where you might sit. there enough blood and gore in the films with out adding shards of falling glass to the effect.

Pat
    You are right the idea is to build a box around the PJ to reduce the noice of the cooling fans. A larger box then allows you to put bigger but queiter fans to vent the hot air.

5. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Roland! I'll see if I can find some thin glass. Does it matter which way I angle the glass?

Pat - The idea is as Roland said to reduce the noise from the projector. I'm using 2x 80mm fans to extract the heat as my Seleco runs really hot.

Jrwood - I'd love to get some pictures on the web but I don't know how. Any pointers?

Cheers :)

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Tradition says up or down but I'm not sure why. I'd suppose it makes a lot of difference.

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I would have thought that a solid cover (same material as the rest of the box) would be best, with a proper optical glass filter element fitted into a hole in the front.

There's been some talk (over on AVSForums) about using various filter elements to "improve' the "blacks" on projectors. While this is mainly related to DLP systems there has been talk about the Sony 10HT as well. If you fit this properly it will allow you to change filters and experiment.

Brian

8. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Brian,

Do you know where I might get one of these optical filters? I'm happy with the picture from my Seleco but the blacks could always be darker.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'm going to make my own screen with MDF and Dulux Icestorm paint which should give me a better picture.

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yahoo allow you to post your photos, quite a few people use yahoo's service for their setups :)