1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glass lenses

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by popeye, Feb 12, 2002.

1. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presently own a Seleco SVP 400HT CRT Projector and have been considering upgrading the plastic lenses for a set of HD glass lenses. I have contacted Owl Video who have quoted me more than £800 per lense. This is a bit rich for my blood.
    Does any body know a cheaper solution.
    Can Barco lenses be fitted to a 400 ?
    Can glass lenses be picked up second hand ?
    Would I need to have them fitted by an engineer or are they easy to fit ?
    Anyone with any ideas ?

2. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Popeye,
    I bought some glass lenses for my 400 which gave me increased sharpness. I brought them from a forum member, Atul, for 800 pounds second hand, a bargin for 3 lenses. I fitted the HD145s to my projector myself, dead easy do do, just four screws on each lense, then reconverge.

Can I just ask, have you bought an after market scaler for your 400 as the internal one is Crap. I feed mine with an Iscan Pro and it really makes a difference, more so than the lenses, in my opinion.

You can buy the lenses brand new over the web for about $1500 for 3. I do remember check an american site out, you'll have to do a search.

Hope this is of some help!

Cheers

Paulh.

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking of exactly the same for my SVP400, the major concern I guess is waranty, if you go poking around inside the PJ would you void your waranty if something else internally other than the lens failed.

I came to the conclusion I'll wait untill my waranty expires (Sept) and then give it a go.

I'd be more interested though in if there was any way of increasing the bandwidth so it could support greater than 480P, 720P would be nice!!

Steve

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    HD6 and HD145 lenses will fit your projector. there is nothing more complicated than 4 nuts holding each lenses in place.

There is little point in trying much more than 480p on a 7" tube because the surface would not be able to resolve it even though the lens could.

I can't imagine changing the lenses will affect your warenty but worth a check with Owl.

The lenses are over a £1000 new and if they are going out at £800 I know why I have none currently. You could buy a whole projector for not far off that!

None of these lenses BTW are true all glass, they are a hybrid which are part glass and part acrylic. the only true all glass lenses were the X** series. Supurbly sharp but you need to eat lots of carrotts.

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

Spooky, I was actually sending you an email while you were replying to this thread!!

Steve

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    And I didn't see your post here because I was replying to your email:cool:

7. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be worth giving Screens UK a call, Jim had some secondhand glass lenses last time I was there.

8. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments and advice.
    In relation to the iScan I have just upgraded from the NTSC DVDO version to the iScan Pro, which is a brilliant peice of kit.
    Paul is right the up converter on the 400 is very limited and not the best way to get the best result from the Seleco. Any one out there who owns a 400/420/450 or 500 will not be disapointed with the iScan. (I sound like a sales man for Owl).
    I have just replaced the cables for the projector and I am now using a Nordust Optix component video cable, which connects to the iScan. It's not the cheapest cable, but I can report that this has also made a marked improvment to image quality.

9. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally took the plunge and got a set of HD 145 glass lenses.
    I bought the lenses from Atul, who incidently has a few sets in stock.
    Thanks to Adrian from Owl video the lenses were fitted with ease.
    I'm happy to report it proved to be one of my better decisions. The lenses are quite a bit bigger than the Dela Tac plastic lenses and weigh approximately 15 kilo's. The image is much sharper and more detailed. I have also noticed that the black level has slightly improved.
    Brilliant!

popeye