1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glass Bead Screen Or Matte White Screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pleasure_Paulie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new here, and was hoping you're advice would guide me in the decision of this screen.

Basically I need to purchase a projector screen for an NEC LCD 2100 (VT470) lumens projector which will be mounted on the ceiling. Its for a hall that is 80 feet long and 33 feet long. So its a fairly long hall. The conditions arent all that super bright, but not very dim, however sometimes we may have some bright lights on the stage where the screen will go.

I'm looking at a 100" screen as thats the biggest that will fit the hall design, and been offered at a good price a glass beaded screen (gain >2.2) and a matte white screen (gain >1.1).

I've been told that glass beaded screens have bright spots, and are retro-reflective, which means they have a very small viewing angle, plus the projector is mounting from the roof. But they look very tempting.

Should I get a glass beaded, or a matte white screen?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :)

2. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know anything about glass beaded screens I'm afraid. But are you sure you mean roof and not ceiling? I always accidentally say the same thing myself. Otherwise I hope you have good weather protection for it!

Cheers

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha.. nice pickup :D Changed! Anybody got advice?

4. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a DRH high gain beaded screen and a friend of mine has a matte one, so I've seen the difference. I agree that the viewing angle is smaller but seeing as you are in a long hall that should not matter too much. You say you may have light sources that could interfere, well in this case a brighter image would benefit by using a high gain. I'm quite pleased with mine and because it is a thicker material being used it does not seem to suffer from the dreaded screen edge curl on the sides that my friend is experiencing. Try asking a manufacturer if they could send you a small sample of the materials to try out. Never seen any bright spots at all by the way, it's very even all across the screen.