Glamour Photography (may be NSFW)

TarMoo

Charley - Purestorm Model No: 129547
p683197747-4.jpg

I thought we could have a thread dedicated to glamour photography. If other people have glamour shots, feel free to add them to this thread.

If you are interesting in photographing models like Charley, they can be booked via websites like www.modelmayhem.com, www.net-model.com and www.purestorm.com. However, if you are a new user to those sites and don't have any feedback from models, you are probably better off getting a studio to book the model for you.

TarMoo

Rebecca Roberts - PureStorm No: 133104
p297466505-4.jpg

Studio Lights
Studios have a series of lights, softboxes and flash umbrellas which are triggered wirelessly from an infra-red trigger which you attach to your camera hot shoe. The studio provides the trigger, so all you need is your camera and a model.

With studio shots cameras are set to manual mode with the shutter speed set to something around 1/125 sec. Set it too fast and you may get nothing. Apertures are set via a light meter setting, usually somewhere between F8 and F13 depending on the lighting and ISO setting of your camera. ISO settings should be as low as possible e.g. ISO 100 or ISO 200. You should also switch off any dynamic ISO settings on your camera. Once you have the correct F Stop setting you rarely need to take another light meter reading unless the lighting setup changes dramatically.

All the studios I have been to will help you set up the lights for the initial set of shots and when you change the background e.g. shoot against black. After a while you do get the idea of what to fiddle with - like turning down the power of the rear lights to get a grey rather than pure white background and adjusting the left and right front lights to get more shadow.

Studios costs about £20-25 per hour with a min 2 hour booking.

Last edited:

lightpainter

I’m not into glamour photography myself but if my wife ever allowed me to be I would be proud to capture shots like that, such pretty girls and the studio you have set up, you certainly know how to light your models to the best advantage, very well done!

senu

Distinguished Member
I'm not into glamour photography myself but if my wife ever allowed me to be I would be proud to capture shots like that, such pretty girls and the studio you have set up, you certainly know how to light your models to the best advantage, very well done!
Quite right:hiya:
Ive always found his use of lighting very competent, and the shooting and technical info extremely useful

Im experimenting now with the 30/40D, an ST-E2 and the couple of Speedlight 430 EX and Sigma EF500 DG super Ext Flashguns ( wirelessly ..inspired by Ksten) but still struglling

I suspect my wife would not ( verbally) stop me from trying ( not that Im any good at this sort of photography anyway) but Id get enough non-verbal aggro..:eek:!

Last edited:

TarMoo

I’m not into glamour photography myself but if my wife ever allowed me to be I would be proud to capture shots like that, such pretty girls and the studio you have set up, you certainly know how to light your models to the best advantage, very well done!

Lightpainter, you might like to know about an Art Nude workshop in Chatham on 18th June 7-9pm, cost £30. The model above (Rebecca) was the last girl who came to this and the model below (HoneyB) was the one before that. Just tell the wife you have to go to a AVF studio group shoot. ;) If you are interested phone Keith at JSMStudios (see google for studio details and tel number).

HoneyB - Purestorm No: 115316
p953564595-4.jpg

Last edited:

Rob_J

p297466505-4.jpg

She is stunning.

Logrus

Tarmoo, love your work.

Seeing this and some work over on POTN, you have inspired me.
I have signed up for a day in a studio learning to use the lights, half day art nude and half day glamour. Lets just hope it works out ok :)

TarMoo

Today I photographed Monika, a model from Poland.

I discovered a studio in Maidstone which only costs £10 an hour and is open during the day. Also, the chap running it is very helpful with setting up the lights and backdrops.

Last edited:

TarMoo

Mike.P®;9713757 said:
I would say he knows his stuff, the lighting in those 2 is superb .. probably 2 of your best pics imo.

I saw a couple of new things yesterday. One was the use of a grid on the front of the rear light. This produces a kind of halo effect behind the model. The other was placing a black cloth to one side on the studio to absorb light to get more shadow - the studio is small and with white walls there is a lot of light bouncing around.

Mark, the studio owner, is a keen amateur. He has been shooting models for about two years. His studio is at the back of a Kitchen Showroom owned by his brother in a industrial unit in Parkwood Maidsone.

TarMoo

This is one of Holly AKA "Ivory Flame" taken today at Switch Studios near Arundel in West Sussex. Holly is a model based in Oxford - Purestorm No 149006

p404739804-5.jpg

Some studios have "Studio Days" where you can book the studio and model in blocks of 1hr. This is handy because you don't have to pay travelling expenses for the model and the price is usually cheaper than booking the model and studio separately.

At today's session there was a lot of help setting up the lights and we used three of the studio sets. I believe the run these sessions roughly once a month. They next one will be using a model from Bristol.

TarMoo

One of the advantages of building up a good portfolio of images is that you can shoot models on a Time For Print (TFP) basis. Also called TFCD. This is where you pay the model by sending them edited images from a photoshoot. Usually about 10 images for a 2 hour shoot.

Victoria (see below), who is pole dance instructor, is one such model who joined Purestorm recently and who came for a three hour studio shoot covering fashion, swimwear, lingerie and artistic nude.

p683820985-5.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom