1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator Superbit Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    [​IMG]

Matt Brown reviews the R2 Superbit edition of Gladiator.

As always you can read the review by clicking here

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree with giving this film 10/10. I really didn't think much of it- glad I didn't buy it when it came out.

I guess everyone's different- but I feel the acting was pretty lousy. Felt like they were reading out the script, rather than being the characters.

Not a patch on Sparticus. I3O (In 3 ppl's opinions)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Yep, ultimately a review is one person's opinion. I loved it.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    I think a clutch of Oscars would agree with you Matt. I loved it also.

5. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No offence Nathan: but I also thought this film was first class. great acting and the cinematography was just stunning. But I'm more than happy with my standard UKR2 release.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Review looks spot on IMO, including marks in every area. Great film and the current DVD is very good.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the original region 1 version which has DTS 6.1 and someone wrote into these forums claiming the sound on the Superbit version is better, i was highly sceptical and it seems from your review i was right to be as there appears to be no difference in sound quality, this film should never have been released in Superbit unless they were going to use a new master print which they clearly have not.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved the film too.

A shame Russel Crowe got handed another linear script for his character, however. I enjoy his work, but we're all too often perceiving an overwhelming coadherence to violence offset against an innate sense of compassion, which isn't very convincing, especially when he's filled the role all too many times (Gladiator, LA Confidential, that wierdo british film where he was bald etc etc).

Still, everything else in the film was superb, I watched it at the cinema where it first came out and it was a fantastic cinematic spectacle which enthrawled me from start to finish.

[edit]

Just finished reading (yet another) top review for it too :) - You're well on your way matt.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Where is he going?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotfl:

10. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The twin servos are driving him mad

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    :confused: :)

btw I have to disagree on the "linear" script, I thought his performance was totally convincing....and in LA Confidential it was spot on too;)

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Perhaps someone else can confirm this but I believe the R1 standard version has a fullrate DTS soundtrack? Which should mean that the Superbit version is inferior. The fact that the R1 has 6.1 discrete should swing it anyway...

A shameless piece of marketing on Columbia's part, and I for one am growing a little cynical of the Superbit tag.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're on your way, TO BEING THE BEST DVD REVIEWER IN THE LAND.

Sorry, Bill Bailey moment...

Anyway not a 'linear' script as such, just linear scripting of his character.

I don't think anybody can deny that what his Gladiator & LA Confidential characters had in common was that they were both either violent or compassionnate (a compassion ironically bourne of violence - Such as the way Bud White's care for women and will to do the right thing in LA confidential has derived from seeing his father beat his mother to death as a child. Oh, and General Maximus in Gladiator - need I say more?).

With that I'm not saying his performance isn't convincing, as - like I said - I enjoy his work.

It does exaserbates the difficulty of him being convincing when he's filled the exact same role a huge number of times.

He was verging on Type-Cast, until in the last few years where he made a few films in which his characters had 'shade'.

I'm not dissing his ability to act, but this was a trend he got stuck in for well over a decade in his film-making.

He just likes those sorts of scripts I'm guessing :)

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But to people with Wives, Lives & Children who don't have a sordid love of all things A/V Superbit's advantages over normal DVDs is like SVHS over VHS...

WOW, SUPERBIT, LETS BUY IT.

The thing that puzzles me is, surely it costs film distributors money to give things the superbit treatment??? What the hell are they spending the money on!?

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The region 1 DTS 6.1 discrete version is 768kb/s but still sounds superb and looks superb, so what can we make of the Superbit claims. ?

I have a few discs which i upgraded to Superbit and some of them appear to be the same print but they give us an added bonus of a DTS track, titles i refer to include Bram Stokers Dracula and Charlies Angels, same print but DTS track added, indeed Charlies Angels has about 3 Gigabytes of unused space left on the disc which could have been used to give us a FULL bitrate DTS track, i'm becoming highly cynical now of Superbit and the marketing strategies used by some companies, i now wait for some films and don't rush to buy them like i previously did as i know a better or at least more attractive version will be released 6 months after the original, i'm even coming round to the fact that DTS isn't always necessary to fully enjoy the home cinema experience and will be buying the region 1 version of The Lion King and not waiting for the DTS versions from europe.

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i thought the superbit sound was much better than the R2 DTS soundtrack. it seemed more lively and detailed. but the standard release is one of the best DVD made so far. i took the superbit back after i'd watched it.

Gary

17. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Foxy, I'm not having a dig at you and I'm definately NOT
    sticking up for dts but you seem to contradict yourself.
    If, as you say, you sometimes wait a bit for a better version
    then why not wait untill the R2 is out ? You never know -
    it MIGHT be an improvement over the R1.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true it might possibly be better but the thing is i used to buy region 2 but stopped because i'm not keen on the fact region 2 doesnt support progressive playback (( think thats wot its called )) and not too keen on PAL speedup, id never say never but at the moment i'm buying NTSC only although Germanys version of K19 looks impressive and might change my mind.

19. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some debates on the forum never seem to go away or be resolved to everyones satisfaction and probabely never will.
    My favouites are Superbits, Pal speed up and we can't forget the Dolby Digital Vs DTS to name a few!

Just to throw my own hat in on a personal note the majority of Superbit titles I've bought do tend to show subtle improvements in definition and finer detail. Theses improvements will be more noticable on a well calibrated projector where the picture is shown on a large screen. On smaller displays the improvements are less obvious.

For a good scientific analyasis where a Suberbit title can be compared directly to the standard release with the use of screen shots visit Byoern's Place at www.videophile.info
    The comparisons for the Fifth Element & Vertical limit are particularly good examples which high-light the improvements due to the higher bit rates.

As for Gladiator I've not seen the Superbit version, but the region 1 is such a good reference title I would not personally consider buying the Superbit release.

popeye

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    Popeye,
    Our review systems use well calibrated Projectors on 7ft screens, discs are also tested on standard 32" w/s tv's.
    I have seen superbit titles were there are improvements, but I have also seen some where you think why bother?

21. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    No difference between the 2 imho, and as far as I'm aware there is no difference in the bit-rate. I think you kid yourself Sir (no disrespect but I do believe there's an amount of psychology involved).

Cheers
    Matt

22. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't doubt for a second that the reference system you use for the spendid reviews is well calibrated and totally agree that some superbit titles are sadly wanting. Superbit titles don't promise to be anything more than discs which utilize as much of the bit rate as possible at the expense of the bonus material to enhance the picture and audio. They don't promise a new transfer for instance. Whether they should is another matter. I can only say from my own experience and opinion that the majority of titles I've seen there are (subtle) improvements over the standard versions where the Superbit exhibits finer detail in the image and of course the added bonus of a DTS track.
    In an industry where we pay big money for equipment for some times relatively small increments some Superbit titles can give that little bit extra in quality, however like man not all Superbit titles are equal!

popeye

23. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in which case they are a scam as they don't use all that space a french magazine once did some "research" and found that all superbit titles had at least another 2-3Gb of free space, something that could be easily used for fullbitrate DTS. I don't know if they can increase picture bitrate that much as the official limit of the DVDforum is like 10Mb/s. some players won't handle anything higher. but surely there are improvements to be made in the audio department.

on the other hand not using a new master is stupid as wll. you can increase the bitrate as much as you want if you master has problems those won't be solved.

24. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    the 10Mb/s rate is the maximum for all data in a stream. That will include the picture and *all* audio channels for the movie.

DTS+DD+Commentary+movie picture < 10Mb/s

If you ran at 10Mb/s constantly, you'd get about 2 hours of movie. So if the movie is less than 2 hours there will be space left over with no extras, even if it is maxxing out the DVD specs.

Having said that, superbit seems to be a con - not just because of the dubious improvements, but because most new releases are two disc with minimal extras on disc one anyway.