• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gladiator style movie help !!!

Shady

Chaps

This has been bugging the hell out of me for years...

I remember seeing a film many years ago which was a Spartacus / Ben Hur type affair, and from around the same era (colour 50's / 60's style). There was a scene set in an arena where all of the gladiators were lined up, and a girl (Emporers daughter perhaps ?), had to select the best man to slide down a covered chute which was filled with knives and other pointy things - certain death to the poor victim - which may have been the best fighter / girls lover etc...

What was the film ?

Cheers

Garrett

The Fall of the Roman Empire staring Stephen Boyd and Sophia Loren. It was very much the story Gladiator was based on. If you see it again you will spot the similarities.

[EDIT]Ops miss read your post there was The Long Boats there was a slide (realy a very long blade, gold in colour)that cut a person in half, but it was a take off of The Vikings and stared Richard Widmark.

Garrett

Shady can we have some feedback, i.e. was this the film you were thinking about?

belgrade

Standard Member
Shopkeeper: Margaret, Margaret,

(pause)

Margaret: Yes!

Shopkeeper: The gentleman wants a gladiator style movie, from the 50s or 60s, with a Spartacus/ Ben Hur type theme, in which a hero has to die by sliding down a chute of knives and pointy things.

Mr Man: And the hero has to be the best fighter, selected by a princess, played by Sofia Loren

Shopkeeper: And the hero has to be the best fighter, selected by a princess, played by Sofia Loren

Margaret: Is it The Fall of the Roman Empire with Stephen Boyd?

Shopkeeper: Is it The Fall of the Roman Empire with Stephen Boyd?

Mr Man: No, thats a little too Gladiatory.

:( Sorry, I'll get my coat. ;)

Kevo

The slide was called 'The Mare of Steel' and was from the viking film The Long Ships (almost Garrett ;) :p ) starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poittier.

'The one with the giant bell' !

Garrett

Kevo said:
The slide was called 'The Mare of Steel' and was from the viking film The Long Ships (almost Garrett ;) :p ) starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poittier.

'The one with the giant bell' !
Standing on the shoulders of giants :D

Proves I do not look stuff up.

Shady

Thanks for that chaps, looks like The Long Ships is the one.

Must catch it next time it is on TV.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Cheers

Gary D

Distinguished Member
belgrade said:
Shopkeeper: Margaret, Margaret,

(pause)

Margaret: Yes!

Shopkeeper: The gentleman wants a gladiator style movie, from the 50s or 60s, with a Spartacus/ Ben Hur type theme, in which a hero has to die by sliding down a chute of knives and pointy things.

Mr Man: And the hero has to be the best fighter, selected by a princess, played by Sofia Loren

Shopkeeper: And the hero has to be the best fighter, selected by a princess, played by Sofia Loren

Margaret: Is it The Fall of the Roman Empire with Stephen Boyd?

Shopkeeper: Is it The Fall of the Roman Empire with Stephen Boyd?

Mr Man: No, thats a little too Gladiatory.

:( Sorry, I'll get my coat. ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom