• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Gladiator remastered Blu-ray- Noisy disc normal?

addyeddy

I don't have a problem with any other Blu Ray discs, but the Gladiator disc takes an age to load and makes a lot of weird noises where it seems to shudder in the tray.

It also doesn't like me trying to fast forward it at any point, is this common or does it sound like I have a dodgy disc?

Blackblood

My copy does take a bit of time to load, but it is quite once it has loaded. Sounds like you have a dodgy copy. One suggestion have you felt the sides of disc to make sure it is smooth and not rough, as I have read that that can affect the drive and was common on the Blade Runner 5 disc version.

philbam

I don't have a problem with any other Blu Ray discs, but the Gladiator disc takes an age to load and makes a lot of weird noises where it seems to shudder in the tray.

It also doesn't like me trying to fast forward it at any point, is this common or does it sound like I have a dodgy disc?

Usually a sign of an 'unbalanced' disc.:mad:
Had one the other day on a box set (just one disc) and the whirring noise is awful. Tried it in two other players, same problem, but also tried it in my PS3 and it was far less noisy, certainly playable anyway.
Might be worth a try if you have several players.:smashin:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Sony players are good with unbalanced discs due to Precision Drive HD with BD or Precision Drive 3 with DVD players. It compensates for unbalanced discs by moving the lens in 3 dimensions.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
nwgarratt said:
Sony players are good with unbalanced discs due to Precision Drive HD with BD or Precision Drive 3 with DVD players. It compensates for unbalanced discs by moving the lens in 3 dimensions.

Guess that explains why my Hornblower DVDs are unwatchable in my Panasonic BD35 due to the noise but are fine in my PS3.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I had a DVD once where the label had been put on badly and that was enough to cause unbalancing.

wastedyuthe

Distinguished Member
The audio skipped a couple of times watching the extended cut of Gladiator on my PS3, but no weird noises or particularly long load times.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I've had a noisy disc before so its definitely your copy. Like previous post it will be an unbalanced disc which will require to be swapped.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom