Gladiator - R1 & R2 Differences

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here, please?

I went into HMV today and took a checklist of all the extras on the R2 version of Gladiator. I have now compared this to the R1 version, and the following differences are apparent. Anyone shed any light on these?

R2 doesn't have the Audio Commentary on the movie. Nor does it appear to have a DTS-ES 6.1 soudtrack, but rather a DTS-ES 5.1 soundtrack.

R1 doesn't appear to have the "Pietro's Treasure Chest: Best of deleted footage" featurette.

Also, as my R1 "Extras" disc was faulty, can anyone tell me what the running times of both "The Making Of Gladiator" and "HBO Gladiator Games - Blood Sports" documentaries are, as the R2 disc lists them at 25 and 50 minutes. Is this the same on the R1 version.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Pooch

Pooch - sounds like you've got a lemon!
According to Rewind (R1 v R2 database) the only difference between R1 v R2 is ... "One minor difference is that the Region 1 version has the 6.1 extension for DTS"
I intend picking one up in the next few days so I hope you are wrong (in the nicest possible way!)
smile.gif

------------------
"Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

Me too!

I ordered the R2 version on the evidence that both discs were (as good as) identical. If I'm missing an audio commentary I'm not a very happy chappie!!

DVD Rumble and Play both show them having the same extras!

Gladiator r1 & r2 are both the same. i should know as i currently have copies of each region. in fact i would say the picture is better on region 2 version. the reason i have 2 copies is that my pioneer 717 didnt like the r1 layer change as the picture would break up in to blocks for a about a minute after the layer change or the 717 would not advance from the point of the layer change. so i obtained a copy of the r2 release and it plays perfectly. my r1 copy is going back to the dealer.
so relax your patence will be rewarded. cheers jas.
ps i have previously tried 2 diffrent gladiator r1 discs and both had the same fault. region 1 wins for me this time!

Well,

I made a note of the contents of both R1 and R2 from the backs of the actual DVD's, hence this is where I got my information from. Also, my R1 "Extras" disc is awaiting replacement, hence I can't confirm or deny what extras exist on this version, except from what is written on the back of the box.

If they are the same, then how come:

1) The R2 version only lists a 5.1 DTS ES soundtrack and not a 6.1 DTS ES soundtrack?

2) The R2 version doesn't list the audio commentary as existing at all on the disc?

3) The R1 version doesn't list the "Pietro's Treasure Chest: Best of deleted footage" featurette (or is it simply entitled something else on the R1 disc?).

Also, can anyone tell me what the running times of both "The Making Of Gladiator" and "HBO Gladiator Games - Blood Sports" documentaries are, as the R2 disc lists them at 25 and 50 minutes. Is this the same on the R1 version, as on that version, they are (misleadingly?) titled as featurettes.

Pooch

Pooch - Fear ye not ...
I picked up a R2 Gladdy yesterday from a UK shop and you are correct that the case does NOT list the likes of the Directors Commentary but IT IS on the disc (?) The distributors obviously needed to save on some ink or dont think we the users think the commentary is important enough to appear on the box.
I dont have a 6.1 capable system so cant answer the 5.1 or 6.1 query but whatever the sound really rocks (thank god for elderly slightly deaf neighbour!)
Hope this cheers you up
smile.gif

------------------

The R2 version does have everything that people are saying that the R1 version has.

I have seen a friends copy and you would not know the difference between the two.

I however have got the R1 version as I ordered it ages ago and could not be arsed to cancel it. I have not watched it yet and am interested to know if there are any cuts in the film itself

Duncan ... According to www.bbfc.co.uk :
GLADIATOR
This feature film was classified "15" on 19 April, 2000.
When classified the work had an approved running time of 155m 0s.
The work had a submitted running time of 155m 0s.
Passed with no cuts made ...
The R1 v R2 site rewind.org/digitalera also says no cuts made so hopefully it's not been cut ... BTW from what I saw of it last night I don't think it can be !!! (loads of claret all over the place - lovely)
smile.gif

------------------

Don't forget, Region 2 discs run about 4% faster than NTSC, so if a R2 disc is shorter, this is quite often the case. An example is Magnolia, the NTSC runs at 188 mins, the PAL 181, although the films are identical.

Why do R2 discs run 4% faster than R2 discs?

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I'm fairly new to this furum.

Very basically, NTSC runs at 30 frames per second. Film runs at 24 fps. It has to be ajusted to 30 , to do this a process known as 3/2 pull down is used where frames and fields are added until 30 fps is reached, therefore NTSC runs at the same speed as the original film.
PAL runs at 25 fps,much closer to films (24),so the film is run 1/24th faster than the original. This accounts for the 4% faster running times that are common with PAL DVDs.
Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom