1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator R1 layer change

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by toffeecrisp, Nov 15, 2000.

1. toffeecrisp

toffeecrisp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The layer change REALLY SUCKS. [​IMG]

Almost spoils the whole damn film.

------------------
    I....have come here......to chew bubblegum.....and kick ass.....and
    I'm all outta bubblegum.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sorry,

Have to disagree. The layer-change on the R1 version isn't that bad. I've seen far worse. I bet you own a budget DVD player, don't you? The reason I ask is, only a budget player would make a layer-change on a DVD akin to flipping an old 45rpm record, which is probably why you are saying the layer-change sucks.

Pooch

3. toffeecrisp

toffeecrisp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd hardly call a Pioneer 717 a budget player!!

------------------
    I....have come here......to chew bubblegum.....and kick ass.....and
    I'm all outta bubblegum.

4. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah agree with you there... I have a Sony 7700 multi reg. and have notice that the layer change on both "The Thin Red Line" & "Elizabeth" are unbelieveably annoying.

You would have thought that if a layer change is necessary then it would be placed at least in an unobtrusive place.

------------------
    If you're gonna shoot... shoot! don't talk.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LAYER CHANGES!! My pet hate. Some of the authoring must be done by chimps! Why, if a suitable place for the layer change isn't there, can't a fade to black & back be inserted for the change over? With all the technical expertise that must go into a blockbuster like Gladiator (or any DVD for that matter) this must be a simple exercise to complete.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some players can manage the layer change quickly enough for you not to notice.So a fade to black and then back to picture would not be good for them.
    Perhaps we should be criticising the manufacturers for not implementing a fast changover (the DVD makers would probably use this as an excuse for bad layer change points).
    I still haven't noticed a layer change on my LG player.So why can't the likes of Sony manage to implement fast changeovers?

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't know why they put layer changes in the middle of scenes like they do. If a layer change is put at the end of a scene, you don't really notice it. Classic example is Das Boot. In th R1 version its done in the middle of a scene, but the R2 is at the end. Doesn't make sense to me . If they can do it for one , they can do it for all.

------------------
    Don't think you can, Know you can.

8. Jas

Jas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same problem on my 717 except the picture and sound break up for a minute after the layer change.seems a pity such a good film can be spoilt due to bad authoring as this is the first disc to have given my 717 a problem. asume your refering to the region 1 release. going to try out the region 2 release when i can get my hands on it, might even send the r1 version back. please let me know of the symptoms your 717 suffers with this disc, regards jas.

9. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have wondered why the layer change can't be timed with a fade-out moment, but I had an interesting experience with The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over DVD.

I watched this a couple of times using PCM before I got my AV Amp. The first time I listened to it in DTS mode the layer changes was really quite obvious I thought, yet I hadn't noticed it before.

Could the s/t have something to do with it?

Stuart

10. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the R2 'Hell Freezes over'..don't see the layer change using DTS. HOORAY!
    I owned for a while (sent back, due to Techtronics failure to reliably disable Macrovision)a panasonic RV60 which is rated as the fastest layer change around. Yet even this player still showed the change over. My £100 DVD-ROM in my PC skates through any layer change seamlessly. Apparently it's to do with the DVD-ROM's speed. At around 5 times the price, why don't standalone players do this? [​IMG]
    Stuart, What's the s/t?

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 19-11-2000).]

11. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, Arthur, I too have a Panasonic RV60 from Techtronics. I was going to try out the Macrovision thing this w/e just to see how it works, but never did. Maybe later in the week!

The Eagles I have is the R2 disc too, so I'm not sure why I noticed it the last time I watched it. I'll keep an eye out the next time I watch this brilliant disc to see if I notice it again.

I watched Eyes Wide Shut ("Legs Wide Open" ?!) tonight, and it's a long film, 2.5hrs, but didn't notice the layer change. Nicole Kidman is a goddess.

The reason you won't notice your PCs DVD player doing a layer change is because of your PCs memory caching the information from the disc I guess.

Stuart

[This message has been edited by StuartBooth (edited 19-11-2000).]

12. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the layer change happen in the same place for both region 1 and 2 disks ? I've got region 2 Gladiator and I have to say the layer change ain't all that great !!

Mark.

13. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My problem with layer changes is how my pre/processor handles it. DVD players handle these changes just fine. Both of mine do, anyway. But it's the audio at the layer change I see as the bugaboo. On my main system which has a Marantz AV9000 pre and a Denon (wee-jun 1) DVD-2500 player, the problem is: the pre unlocks the sound lock momentarily at the layer change. So, if, as in GLADIATOR (R1), the dialog starts up too quickly after the layer change, the first word gets clipped! Ugh! My Pioneer SP-99D does the same thing with this change using a Sony DV-550 player. This is a poor layer change. There needs to be enough time for the audio to relock before the Dialog begins again. At the prices we Kangaroos pay for these discs we should get better! Especially on a big-time releases like GLADIATOR. If this was a Madacy disc, I'd expect this, but noooooooo, Dreamworks you should be paddled and put to bed without eats for this! Sound considerations need to be handled in these layer changes too. Best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

14. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The R2 layer change is put in a crap place too! Right in the middle of a scene! Why, why, why???

It's not *terrible*, but it is rather obvious on my Tosh 2109!