Gladiator & Magnolia

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Oct 7, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Magnolia - stunning film, and (for once) a R2 double-disc that is equal in price and quality to the R1 set! (Paid £16-79 at my local MVC store!)

Gladiator: be wary! It looks like some sites (and UK high-street stores) are getting mightily confused with their prices on this title. Some are advertising only the single-disc edition at about £18 and the double-disc set for around £22 (ala the prices of the Region 2 version of Maganolia). Other places are listing the single disc version at around £21.

I have pre-ordered the double disc edition from www.dcdvd.co.uk for just £19-57! Seeing as this title is supposedly a same-day worldwide release, and that companies are trying to release DVD's with the exact same content on both R1 and R2 discs, it seems odd, that the R2 Gladiator double-disc edition still appears to contain less extras and cost more money than its R1 equivalent!

Check out www.dvdrumble.co.uk for DVD comparisons on this, and many other DVDs!

Pooch

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    2 disc dvd @ play for 17.99 R1 and also R2

------------------

"How could this happen? We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended up in tragedy."

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys know if the R2 or the R4 has the DTS-ES audio track on it like the R1. This is quite important to me.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +723
    Saw a post in another forum saying that Gameplay have the R2 for 15.99!.

Thought this was a bargin.. But, if there is a 1 disk version coming, perhaps this is what they are selling?

Are all versions of Gladiator 2 disks? If so, I am going to place an order.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Mr Weaver,

No! There will be 2 versions of "Gladiator" available: a single DVD version, containing the film only. The other, is a double-disc DVD set, with disc one containing the movie and the second disc with all the extras on it, just like the Region 2 releases of Magnolia!

However, the Region 1 version will still be superior to Region 2, simply because it has a lot more extras on the second disc!

And Neildo, the DolbyES soundtack is unlikely to be on the Region 2 disc. Just as happened with today's release of "Jurassic Park", the Region 2 discs are are in Dolby 5.1 Surround, whereas the Region 1 versions are availble with the superior DTS soundtrack! Typical Bloody British DVD distributors - ripping us off with a lower-quality product!

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 09-10-2000).]

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Before everyone gets excited you should know that there are two films called Gladiator, one the Ridley Scott Epic and the other a Cuba Gooding Jnr one about boxing i think it is. This might be the reason that there appears to bea single disc version floating around.
    Just found a few examples, hope the links work :
    Play 25/7 : http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?m=t&t=6911&r=R1
    DC-DVD : http://www.dc-dvd.co.uk/make_list.php3?dcdvd_searchkey=gladiator&dcdvd_list=search
    Amazon (note its also released on VHS - possible price difference confusion there) : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-1478576-4326836

I have not seen a single disc version of the Ridley Scott film in any of the online stores that i have looked at in the prevous month when looking for the cheapest place to order it from.

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 09-10-2000).]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to WHSmiths.....they have Magnolia in there (2 Disks) for £15.99!

Cheers,

Tom...