gladiator in HD on chanel4hd tonight 9pm.

looks great to me, best film and picture c4hd have shown yet.

the scenes in the snow looked superb.

looks great to me, best film and picture c4hd have shown yet.

the scenes in the snow looked superb.

can't wait to watch this via my PJ - saving it for a night when the wife is out!

Fantastic picture quality and the sound is great too (5.1, thankfully not as advertised!).:thumbsup:

I compared C4's broadcast with the BEV MPEG2 - the BEV is still king. The C4's colours were slightly desaturated, and it also had some very slight EE. Strangely enough they both had identical scratches and dirt on the print... I hope that doesn't mean the OAR version we saw is the "final" version for HDM purposes.

This looked excellent on my Panny AE900! You could see all the detail of the Colosseum crowds and the rest of the film looked great too.

Jeepers Creepers 2 and Shallow Hall in HD this week too!! :thumbsup:

Gae

i dont see that....i have been flicking between channel 4 and channel 4 HD...to my eyes it looks upscaled..regardless of what the sky hd banner says!...an improvement over the sd picture yes!!!..but the picture looks a bit soft and lacks sharpness..again..just IMHO...and yes i really love this movie !!! maybe i was expecting to much...

does anybody agree?!

*edit...ok the picture is starting to look really good since the scenes have got lighter...must be one of the those grainy, dark ..ridley scott moments to depict the horrors of war..that blinded my vision...lol !

god love oly reed...now thats an actor !!!! miss the crazy acting genius !!!

I agree with you mate. The picture to me looked like a good upscale, not a HD transfer. The details in the faces were soft, certainly not what I have been used to with HD DVD & BluRay. Great film, a bit of a disappointment with the 'transfer'.

i dont see that....i have been flicking between channel 4 and channel 4 HD...to my eyes it looks upscaled..regardless of what the sky hd banner says!...an improvement over the sd picture yes!!!..but the picture looks a bit soft and lacks sharpness..again..

Same here, felt it wasn't as sharp as the upscaled output from my DVD, Time Team looked far better PQ.

Well I only watched a bit(save for later!), but the opening scenes looked very good to me, better than the DVD.

Watched this last night on my Z5 and thought the pic quality was very good indeed. Certainly looked more like HD than upscaled. Bonus with it being in 5.1 too.

Yes, Time team looked very good :)
Not had chance to check out Gladiator yet but i will try it on my Optoma HD70 on a 7ft screen :D

Doh, it was in 5.1? I've only recently linked the optical from my digibox to the amp but its not giving any noise from the rears!!! Might have to have a play around!!!

I wasn't blown away by the PQ.
I've seen better on the Sky HD movie channels. Also seen worse as well mind you.

I've only ever seen this film looking and sound better once - when I saw a digital presentation at the Empire in Leicester Square.
This is HD as it should be (well minus the God awful channel logo...:thumbsdow). Viewed via my Optoma Themescen HD73 on a 2.03m screen, the PQwas nigh on faultless...:thumbsup:

It didn't advertise it as 5.1 did it, but it sure was. Recorded it so I can whizz through adverts.

C4 HD or BBC HD never include any information of the sound format on the Sky EPG. It's always a matter of 'wait and see'.

I don't know what you guys were watching on, but it looked the best I've ever seen it.

I've (sadly) got about four different versions on DVD, including the Superbit one. This CH4 HD version looked better than any of them, definitely.

Upscaling, to me, is a bit of a con anyway. It can only smooth the picture, not add detail like I saw last night.

This looked excellent on my Panny AE900! You could see all the detail of the Colosseum crowds and the rest of the film looked great too.

Jeepers Creepers 2 and Shallow Hall in HD this week too!! :thumbsup:

Gae

hi
when is jeepers creeper 2 on,is there any links to films comming on channel 4
cheers

I just watched this on my Sky HD box. What a great film, and a great picture. Wife cried at the end....I didn't! ;)

PS people saying that this looked like upscaled SD must have something wrong with their set up surely!

Just had HD fitted 3 days ago
thought Gladiator looked sumptious :thumbsup:
but if this is really mediocre as some seem to suggest
I can't wait to be blown away when they finally get it right.

I just watched this on my Sky HD box. What a great film, and a great picture. Wife cried at the end....I didn't! ;)

PS people saying that this looked like upscaled SD must have something wrong with their set up surely!

oh not another one :rolleyes: my missus was blubbering too.

i thought it looked fantastic. bring on the hd-dvd!

Well, you can see my setup in my sig. The only possible issue I have is that you have to calibrate Sky with bl**dy Mylene and not a proper calibration tool like I have used for all my disc sources.

I was not saying the picture was bad at all, I was saying that I have seen a lot better from BD/HD DVD and the picture just did not have the detail it should have had - in places it looked soft to me. Maybe it was a proper HD transfer, if so, it was poorly done and the film deserved better.

Yes, I have seen a lot worse on the HD movie channels (anyone seen The Libertine :eek:) now that was an abomination of a transfer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom