1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator censored or not?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dudemeister, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Dudemeister

Dudemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Now this is driving me nuts..
    a week ago or so I remembered reading something about Gladiator reg2(and 4?) being censored, now it was only supposed to be very tiny cuts, but still they were there. And I remembered I read a post where somebody had forwarded an "official" bulletin from the company who made the masters for reg2 and 4, and it said it was a mistake from their side. They also had info about what it was that was left out, at least 2 separate scenes, where alittle gore was cut out.

Now the problem is I can't find that information again :/ and its making me go nuts. And I can't remember what scenes it was. Its possible this was all a scam or something but I really need to know before I loose sleep on it.

Has anyone here got any info on the matter, with links to pages discussing it? threads on this forum or on others?

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Who needs a replay button? History always repeats itself.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a rumour (and I stress a rumour) that the R4 version is reframed to remove some gore.

This started on the Michaeldvd site. However since announcing it they've been a bit quiet. I've taken a thorough look at the R1 vs R2/4 disc (ie the UK disc dualencoded) and I cannot find any difference (and I have the 500 odd bitmaps to show).

So we wait and see. Its a pretty strong bet that the R2 isnt though. Besides get the R1, IMHO its a better picture [​IMG]

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    R1 also has dts ES discrete, the R2 (and R4?) only have dts ES matrix. Not a huge difference maybe, but it could matter when you next upgrade your kit.

4. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friends at work mentioned a part that is different on R1 to R2
    Its in the ampitheatre with the lions.Aparently more gore is shown in the R1, somewhere where a kid is involved.

5. RobT

RobT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can remember (can't be bothered switching it on), the lions and the kid bit is a deleted scene discussed in the DS section in the extras by Ridley. He said the scene looked a bit naff with the real lions and dummies (it does) but also said it was a bit OTT for the film. Though he also mentioned hearing about other acts of cruelty and man's inhumanity to man carried out in the arena which were too much to even discuss on a commentary...

Cheers

6. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Dudemeister

Dudemeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, Gladiator is NOT censored.
    Here you can find it in black and white: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Who needs a replay button? History always repeats itself.

8. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You could also just look on the BBFC website which lists all cuts made to films for the UK.