1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gladiator 3:16....The Results

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fleagledog, Jan 7, 2005.

1. fleagledog

fleagledog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in another thread, I decided to get to the bottom of this bluring and so have tested this on 4 different systems including the Tosh. Sony DVD with small CRT, Panny portable DVD with 9 inch LCD screen, PC with Power DVD and the Tosh.
    My first problem was deciding what the problem was. I had 2. The worst for the Tosh was what I would call the 'painted on beard' problem. This I only saw on the Tosh. After some tweaking I found that it was down to 'over processing' My denon 2200 dvd player has a dark black setting and a light black setting. The tosh also has black stretch. By setting the player to light black and the tosh to black stretch on; voila, the problem vanished. Also turned the sharpness down to a negative value to get rid of the DVD edge enhancement (part of the mpeg processing). Happy so far. The second problem (which I presume we are talking about) of the bluring during his movement down the line occured to some extent on every system that I tested. The reason that it may be more pronounced on the tosh is that the image is sharper, therefore the effect more pronounced, and of course the screen is bigger and very bright. I have seen this effect in the cinema sometimes and it almost makes you feel sick.
    My conclusion for what it is worth is that the film was shot this way and, bearing in mind that I saw it to some extent on all of the other systems, is just enhanced on the tosh. I think that mucking about with the sharpness did improve things.
    My second conclusion is that I'm never doing this again becuse now I know 3:16 off by heart and will probably dream about it. Hope this helps in some way.

2. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nice work fella :smashin: :clap:

Made me feel better anyway (having just parted with the wedge) :D

3. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well don lad, although I actually dont see this on my Tosh I always presumed it was something to do with Gladiator itself, also may be the fact that I have a Panny S97EBS, fiddled with settings for about an hour & got it just the way I like it.

I will check later on xbox (through components) & see if I get a defferent result

Well done anyway, Im sure you may take a weight off Phunts shoulders

Lee

4. mort

mort
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    appreciate the effort youve made fleagledog :smashin:

i was thinking the same as lee that it might be the film itself ill have to try it myself next week.......i'll have to go buy gladiator first though :blush:

5. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well now that more and more people are seeing the same thing as me im starting to live with it a bit easier.Ive also come to the conclusion that it is the quality of the feed and heres why:-
    A couple ov days ago before i got my sammy 945 i watched The Band of Brothers bonus disc on my Toshiba SD330E dvd player through component.At the start of the documentary there is lots and lots of slow panning ov the old geezers giving interveiws against a black background.Now at the time i had to turn it off because the blur thing was too much to handle.So as i knew i had the TV engineer coming round this morning i got the disc out last night and decided thats what ide use to show him the effect.I stuck the disc in the sammy and for the life of me i couldnt get it to blur LOL.I even tried turning the black stretch on and the contrast and brightness down to force it but not a sign.I was pleasantly suprised.So i stuck gladiator in skip to 3:16 as you do and BLUR.So yes i agree.....the disc itself maybe partly to blame.Also my QED AV2110 scart lead turned up and that seems to have improved the SKY+ blur a bit along with the PACE replacement.:).So all in all its getting there ;)

6. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh by the way...My Black Hawk Down superbit arrived today aswell so im just gonna sit down and watch it now...Ill report results :thumbsup:

7. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fleagledog,
    Great information on this. Still having a play with my S97 and tosh settings.

LEEE, what are the most important settings you have changed on the S97????????? or am i asking for tooo much. Just a couple, to see if they co inside with my settings

8. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks for the info dog, this will def help me make my decision regarding the set, the painted on beard was worryin me :thumbsup:

9. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My FULL testing of Gladiator 3.0 to 3.30 - ok only 30 seconds of play on

Panasonic S97EBS Via HDMI & Tosh - NO BLUR
    Pioneer DV646A Via Scart & Tosh - NO BLUR
    Philips DV710 Via Scart & Tosh - NO BLUR
    Xbox Via Hi Def Components & Tosh - NO BLUR
    3 different DVD players in 2 x PC's - NO BLUR

Sorry lads, really tried to find a blur, couldnt even see one from 12" from the Tosh !

10. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting reading mate..... :) I await mine eagerly now. :clap:

Looks like this is going to rumble on though......At least you seem to be immune :laugh:

Seriously though, you reckon that you just don't see it or isn't it there?

11. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry M8 but.......Shoulda gone to Specsavers :cool:

12. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :rotfl:

Hope I need to!

13. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% not there, I will try & video it tonight with digi cam & see if I can get it on the web

14. bassett

bassett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice work dude!
    This was the only issue preventing me from buying a Tosh and I began to reconsider a plasma. Not any more. I'll be putting in my order at the end of the week !!!

15. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried to video it - no good, digi cam is useless :thumbsdow