Giving up Sky and moving to Freesat

Smudges Dad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t find the exact question after a bit of searching so hopefully you’ll bear with me.

We are intending to give up on Sky as the cost has rocketed and is now well over £100/month and want to move to Freesat for the main TV as we have Freesat in the bedroom which covers most of our needs, and we also have Netflix for films (plus about 500 DVDs collected over 20 years or so).

Using an internet streaming service is not feasible as we are in a remote area (so Freeview is useless) and our BB is by radio link bounced from house to house across a Loch.

The question is:
When we give up Sky, can we still use the Sky box as a Freesat box or would we need to buy a new one, and if we keep it, can we still watch the recorded programmes?

If it is a skyQ box you will have to return it other boxes I think you can keep but what ever box it is you won’t have access to your recordings once your contract finishes. IfIm wrong I’m sure someone with better knowledge will put me right

Sorry for my ignorance, but if you have Netflix, why wont other streaming services work?

Also as stated, if Sky Q, you will need to return the box, older sky boxes will work, but no access to recordings or ability to pause/rewind live TV.

the older sky boxes will do freesat but not ALL freesat channels.
Best to either get a tv with freesat built in or a freesat box.
Or if u have a decent aerial then use freeview

Sorry for my ignorance, but if you have Netflix, why wont other streaming services work?

Also as stated, if Sky Q, you will need to return the box, older sky boxes will work, but no access to recordings or ability to pause/rewind live TV.
I tend to download Netflix programmes when we have good signal but the internet consistency isn’t good enough for live streaming, so I can’t watch things as they are broadcast, e.g. news or BBC channels. That’s why I need to use satellite TV.

You'll be best off buying either a seperate Freesat set top box or a TV with Freesat built in which you'll have the ability to record on an external hard drive

Thanks, it’s a Sky+ box and Freeview is pointless as we are surrounded by mountains and get almost no terrestrial signal.

It looks like I need to get a new box after all.

I left Sky after 16 years in December last year. I always had a discounted package but just couldn't justify the cost in terms of all the non Sky content we were watching mainly Netflix, Disney+ and AppleTV.

I bought a Freesat 4k recordable 1TB box. You can use it directly with the connections from a SkyQ dish. Took some getting used to in terms of the Freesat EPG versus SkyQ. More than happy with it now. Freesat boxes had a significant software update at the end of last year which fixed a lot of the gripes users had had with them previously. I think the picture quality is on par with SkyQ. The Freesat box has on-demand features including Netflix and Prime etc.

I also use the new Roku 4k upgraded (much faster processor) streaming stick which is excellent for all streaming services. Has voice search for films or TV programmes across multiple apps at the same time. Also gives access to lots of free streaming TV. The Roku picture quality is outstanding.

I watch Sky sports on Now TV for F1 via the Roku stick and have used discounted vouchers for 50% off etc. Have just had a deal through from Now for 12 months Sky sports at 40% off.

Not missing SkyTV at all.

Thanks

Final update.
Cancelled Sky without a hard sell trying to keep us, although received an email a couple of days later offering same package at £45/ month for 18 months instead of the £100+/month.

Six days after posting this thread the Sky+ box stopped working so we ordered the 2TB Freeview box on Tuesday which arrived yesterday and is now working.

Smudges Mum has subscribed to Discovery+ to watch figure skating which is better coverage than Eurosport and the cricket has moved to BT Sport from Sky so no loss there for me.

Smudges Mum has subscribed to Discovery+ to watch figure skating which is better coverage than Eurosport and the cricket has moved to BT Sport from Sky so no loss there for me.

Discovery+ and Sport is the new home of Eurosport 1 and 2 (plus additional channels for Olympics) in the UK for streaming. Can't see how it can offer better coverage as it's the same broadcasts?

Lot of cricket on Freesports but that would mean going into non Freesat mode.

Could you elaborate. What Freesat channels do you think they won’t get and why.

U can just go to Freeview with sky for 5 pounds per month u can record rewind I have just done so

U can just go to Freeview with sky for 5 pounds per month u can record rewind I have just done so
To be honest I’m happy with the choice I made which was Freesat and Netflix and my wife has a Discovery+ account so she can watch figure skating. Saves about £100/month#

please do not reply .I wish IV never made a post to help people
The distinction between free to view and Freeview is important, and freedom to reply matters.

Have to agree with you on what you've said.
I've actually worked out roughly how much we watch that is just available on SKY and it's minimal.
I like the sky Q box but there's no way i'm going to continue paying £300 - £400 per year just for that and access to some box sets.And when so much is available on freeview and bbc/itv catchup etc.
Just waiting for the contract to end

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom