1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving up on syncblaster & Q Synch

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nobbydog, Nov 28, 2003.

1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep, I've tried the Keene Syncblaster and also the QED Q-synch and, barring a slight softening of the picture, I'm no better off than the RGB scart (THOR) direct to my PW6 (for Sky).

Someone tell me I'm wrong (or 'doing' something wrong), seems like a lot of money (£150 QED) for no discernable improvement in PQ.

As an alternative option, can I send RGB scart out of my Sky box to the amp (AX640SE) into its component input and out again to the plasma component input, or is this just further degrading the video signal ie. would my direct RGB scart to plasma still work better?

(I suppose I should also ask if there is such a cable that has RGB scart on one end and 3x component on the other)?

Come on you PW6 owners, there's quite a few of you out there now, surely someone has found the holy grail of PW6/Sky connection and settings!

2. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As has been said many times ribish in, rubish out. You can't get more picture information by changing the feed. the only effect that converter can make is to tidy up the sync which may result in a smoother picture!

Phil

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I spoke to John Sim as I was also considering converting the Sky+ scart to VGA or YuV.
    He suggested that the best possible picture would be had doing a VGA conversion directly into the PC input on the 504 media receiver.
    But, he did stress that any improvement would be minimal and probably not worth it and unless I was looking for miniscule improvements to stick with the standard scart RGB output.

He advised against converting to YuV and connection to the component inputs, unless I was using my amp for video switching, in which case I would have to.

I have been reliably informed that RGB is "technically" superior to component but the benefit of component is progressive scan.
    As you can't utilise the prog scan capability from a Sky feed there is little point in converting from RGB to YuV.

In summary:
    Scart to VGA - Yes, but probably not worth it.
    Scart to YuV - No.

4. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q-sync (similar to JSTech RGB-VGA converter) on my PW6 made a visible improvement in sharpness and colours over scart directly into PW6. Plus I have no interference at all now.

The scart (using Tech+Link cable and QED RGB only cable) was giving 20degrees interference-like lines (that just wouldn't go away) that some other people reported earlier.

If you consider 130quid cost of scart board on pw6 plus cables against 120 quid for JSTech box + cables or 150 quid for Q-synch including cables, the scart is not the least expensive

You are right it does not create any information, but it makes use of some information that scart can't use itself. Please dig up old threads where doctor Sim explained why extracting the sync makes the difference.

5. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right (deep breath!)
    RGB to component through the amp OUT. Good, that seems to be the concensus (thanks for the clear explanation Brogan).

So, Q-Sync - firstly, deman77, what are your settings (if you'd be so kind, ie. contrast, brightness, sharpness and any of those weird and wonderful settings in the advanced menu). Its those 'interference-like lines' which are not, at present, disappearing when I switch to the Q-Sync. I can therefore only assume its my settings.
    On the other hand, or paw in my case, I don't have Sky+, just good old Sky digital (Panasonic STB). Could this be a factor, would Sky+ output a better signal (I know, straws & clutching, 'the dog' is getting paranoid).

Just want to nail this before re-wallpapering (pics coming when its done).

By the way, should the RGB scart be the fully wired version. As the audio goes to the receiver presumably it doesn't need to carry the audio signal.

(sorry there appears to be more questions now than at the start of the thread!!)

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nobody else has pointed this out here, so here goes. Many users here have tried all the sync extractors, the one with the most consistent good results is the JS, I've tried others, now will not install anything else. They simply do what they say on the tin, so to speak, and do it in the most highly polished manner available. They give a noticeable improvement over the scart board, which in fact is doing exactly the same thing. The qed one is simply not as good, that's what your problem is.

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As far as Sky is concerned, the general consensus is that the V1 boxes give a better picture than the V2 boxes but this is not directly related to Sky/Sky+ as the feed is the same.
    The important thing is the box.

Just to comment on the fully wired scart question, I believe the reason for this is to enable automatic input switching (carried on pin 8?).
    The audio is carried on all scart cables, whether fully wired or not.

If you want to get the definitive answer, speak to John Sim.
    He responds very quickyl to emails and will tell you truthfully whether his converter would be any good for your setup.

8. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all, feel like I'm getting somewhere now. I'm testing the QED more tonight, to be fair I am noticing a little more colour 'vibrance' (if there's such a thing) compared to the THOR scart, but my main issue is the clarity of images eg. faint lines to the right of text and images. I will take your advice on the JS converter - do you know Jon Sims email address?

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
  10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    He's a member, symanski. You can PM him, go to www.rgbtosvideo.com, or in about 15 seconds he'll chip in.... Like the genie of the lamp.

Edit: Whoops brogan, you beat me to it!

11. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all. You do realise you've opened up another can of worms - how do I get rid of ghosting? (sorry chaps, I really am all questioned-out now, promise!!)

12. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just emailed Nobbydog, and since I'm like a Genie....

Here's what I've emailed Nobbydog:
    I'm assuming that you're using the Panasonic SCART input card on your screen. The feedback I've received is that this is not as good as going via the VGA input using one of my RGB to Plasma VGA boxes. The SCART input was good, but via the VGA route the picture was sharper and cleaner.

As for the Plasma VGA box, unfortunately several companies have copied the idea. However, none of them are using the technology that I've incorporated in to the Plasma VGA unit. While on a static picture the results may be similar, when the action starts my design is better able to cope with a changing input. It also allows you to change the leads used in the system. I too use the Tech+Link cables, but also have a Bettercables (see Joe at the Media Factory www.tmfsolutions.co.uk) for the VGA lead. It's over £100, but it's worth it! Such leads allow you to get the very best out of the system, especialy when used with a V2 Plasma VGA unit.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.