Giving this fitness thing a try - tech toy!

Ol!ver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've decided it's time to get some more exercise done, and that's led me to buying a Fitbit Flex just to try and keep myself interested.

I've created a Runkeeper account too, so if anyone wants to 'friend up,' they can observe my woefully inadequate goings-on there. Got a Fitbit account, too.

Fitbit Flex: Giving this exercise thing a try | Oliver Haslam

Am I the only one that needs a tangible reason to do stuff like this, other than not dying early and having clothes that fit?!

So it goes goes on your leg and tracks your distance, steps and calories burnt. But how does it wake you silently in the morning like it says.

About as much use as once of those clandestine ab belts

Edit: clandestine should read slendertone, kindle fire auto changed it, lol

Last edited:
Consumer tech and the power of sports marketing. Be it the clothing, the shoes, the technology or the equipment.

I think this kind of tech that tracks activity can be a good motivator / companion tool. Own a running watch myself but even a normal pedometer can motivate a user to take an extra step round up to the nearest hundred. Certainly better than buying a treadmill or suchlike and it ending up being an indoor washing line.

Runkeeper is amazing as is my fitnes pal. They are all i use really. I was going to order a fitbit, but decided it was a waste of money. Money better spent on a decent heart rate monitor for me.

Actually, Ismoothrun is better than runkeeper. It links with runkeeper, to save your runs, but it tracks you when you use gps by the accelerometer and when you do have a gps it measures your stride patterns.

As a bit of a gadget freak, I like to think that I am motivated by the gadgets/things that I buy. The app 'Strava' will be an excellent addition to the bike that I got on Saturday, although I'd like to find something that gives an accurate indication for indoor rowing as that is my second favourite exercise.

I use gym goal to track my weights routines , I have a polar h7 BT I use with run keeper , I love fitness tech :)

The mrs got me the fit bit one on friday I am pretty sceptical about it. But it is working as it says and I would have preferred the watch version. My one gripe is adding food to it you only get American, French and German options
And fruits like watermelons and mangoes arnt listed

Just checked the fit bit app on my phone, says 1000 steps taken an over a thousand calories burned, pretty sure when I dropped it this morning it has registered the movement and gone off the rails a bit

Last edited:
Consumer tech and the power of sports marketing. Be it the clothing, the shoes, the technology or the equipment.

I think this kind of tech that tracks activity can be a good motivator / companion tool. Own a running watch myself but even a normal pedometer can motivate a user to take an extra step round up to the nearest hundred. Certainly better than buying a treadmill or suchlike and it ending up being an indoor washing line.

This is a good point. Everyone has different ways of staying motivated. If a piece of tech can help you along the way then it's useful for you, although it may not be for others.

I remember everyone being given pedometers in the office at a job I used to have. It became an obsession for some and quite competitive with people comparing the amount of steps they'd taken. If this led to even just one person taking this further and exploring fitness as a way of life then it was worth it.

The mrs got me the fit bit one on friday I am pretty sceptical about it. But it is working as it says and I would have preferred the watch version. My one gripe is adding food to it you only get American, French and German options
And fruits like watermelons and mangoes arnt listed

Just checked the fit bit app on my phone, says 1000 steps taken an over a thousand calories burned, pretty sure when I dropped it this morning it has registered the movement and gone off the rails a bit

If you want to enter food, sign up to MyFitnessPal and use that. It can automatically import stuff into Fitbit and has stuff like Sainsbury's pasta :D User entered stuff all over the place.

If anyone's interested, here's an update: Getting fit with a Fitbit Flex – a week in | Oliver Haslam

I've lost 9lb in 8 days, apparently.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom