• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Giving my iphone to my girlfriend

kikapu

Standard Member
Right should be getting my iPhone4 very soon. I presently have a iPhone 3G on O2 which they have unlocked and my girlfriend has a jailbroken 2G on vodafone (was my old phone).

I am happy getting my info onto my new phone via a backup on itunes, but how do I get her info onto the 3G?

Do I need to reset the 3G at all first? If I do a backup of her 2G and then restore onto the 3G are there any problems with this as it will be a backup from a jailbroken phone?

To be honest she doesnt really have too much on her phone that wont hurt her if she loses it. So I could just reset the 3G to factory settings then put in her sim and connect to itunes!? If I reset the 3G which o2 unlocked will I lose the unlocking they have done?

Please guys what is the best why not to mess this up?

smithy37

Established Member
Connect your current phone to itunes and sync. This will back up your data. When you connect your new I4 you will have a choice to restore from backup or do a clean install for a new phone.

Once you have done yours connect your Gf's 2g phone and sync. This will back up her most current data.

Connect your old phone to itunes and select restore. Itunes will tell you it will reset all data. Follow the on-screen prompts and you will find yourself back at the 'choices' screen. Select restore from old back up and choose your Gf's 2G backup (it is an idea to rename each phone to make this step easier to differentiate between backups if you have more than one phone synced to the same computer. However, you will be able to tell the backups apart from the date and time they were created)

All of her data will go onto your old phone.

Don't forget to sync after this to drag all the songs, pictures, calenders, notes etc back on to the phone.

If you previously upgraded your 3g to Ios4 then all of her data will just blend nicely into Ios4 and not the 3.1.? firmware her jailbroken 2G phone will have been running.

I did it for my wife who now has a lovely 3gs 32Gb instead of a 3 year old 8Gb 2G.

Any problems, let me know.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom