Giving HomePlugs static IP

markie g

Distinguished Member
Hey,

Basically when i go on my xbox the wireless internet goes down in my house for all other devices. Noone can browse the internet etc.. however internet works fine on the xbox. As soon as i turn the xbox off the internet works for all the devices again. The xbox is connected by homeplugs. The laptops are connecting wireless to the router.

However if im on my xbox and disable the wireless card on my laptop and enable it it seems to connect for about 10-15mins again.

So i'm thinking maybe its a IP address clashing issue? So it is possible to give my xbox a static IP i.e a high number that laptops wouldnt get assigned.

Any help would be great.

Im running 50meg virgin connection with the super hub.

beerhunter

Novice Member
HomePlugs do not have IP Addresses. It's the devices that are attached to them that have IP Addresses.

You are only likely to get IP address conflicts if some of your devices have Fixed Addresses that either you have duplicated or are within the router's DHCP Pool.

themediaman

You should be able to give the XBOX a fixed address.........

themediaman

how would i do that?

Network settings on the XBOX, look for manually set IP, you will need an IP on the same subnet as the router..........

markie g

Distinguished Member
so i assume i set the xbox to something like: 192.168.0.20 ?

my other devices are 192.168.0.4 , 0.3

ukprometheus

you would be better off setting static IP,s from the router.

they are normally in Lan Setup, what router you using??

themediaman

so i assume i set the xbox to something like: 192.168.0.20 ?

my other devices are 192.168.0.4 , 0.3
Yeah pretty much, the router will have a slot of say 50 addresses it can assign devices wanting on the LAN, 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50.

So setting it outwith these addresses could be beneficial so as to avoid the DHCP function provided by the router.

themediaman

markie g

Distinguished Member
Ok i think im in the right section.

So if i set the Static Ip address on xbox to 192.168.0.21

And set any connections that use the ip 192.168.0.20 through to 192.168.0.23 they will be assigned the ip 192.168.0.21?

See attached screenshot

Attachments

themediaman

And set any connections that use the ip 192.168.0.20 through to 192.168.0.23 they will be assigned the ip 192.168.0.21?

See attached screenshot

I dont think thats what you want to do , is that not the IP of your router...? I couldn't be sure. Theoretically you dont need to set up anything on the router, unless you want to assign static addresses using the MAC as I assume ukprometheus was implying.

Instead of the router giving the XBOX an address, the XBOX will tell the router what address to use. You dont need to enter this address into the router unless your forwarding ports I believe.........

themediaman

Oh i see so i just need to set an ip address on the xbox > network settings?
As far as my knowledge tells me...

If you wanted to direct gaming information to certain known ports for specific games then you would need to tell the router that all information going to port X should be directed to the IP of your XBOX. But your are not doing this so all is well..............

You dont want to bogged down too much with all the networking as this solution may not even solve your initial problem of wireless going down when the xbox connects.............

ukprometheus

the wireless dropping on the super crappy hub is a common problem at the moment, i am avoiding the upgrade like the plague at the moment until the firmware offering bridge mode allowing me to use my own router appears.

themediaman

the wireless dropping on the super crappy hub is a common problem at the moment, i am avoiding the upgrade like the plague at the moment until the firmware offering bridge mode allowing me to use my own router appears.
#

So if you take 50Mb you dont have to use the new superhub?

beerhunter

Novice Member

See attached screenshot
What a mess.

May I suggest that before you do anything else, you do a factory reset of your router. As it stands your DHCP Server can only serve 4 IP addresses. No wonder things keep dropping out.

When you have done that set all devices to DHCP and let the DHCP Sever in the router deal with addressing. (You may want to post another screen shot after you have done the reset.

Last edited:

ukprometheus

#

So if you take 50Mb you dont have to use the new superhub?
if you take the 50mb or 30mb service you have to use the super hub, the firmware i am talking about is for the superhub but makes it run as a stand alone modem.
to which you attach a decent router

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You have the routers IP address (192.168.0.21) set within the DHCP range (.20 thru .23) which will cause all sorts of problems if/when the DHCP server gives out IP address .21 to something. (If/when that happens, everything will loose internet connection as you've described for reasons I won't get boring about.)

It's surprising the firmware on a SOHO "appliance" device allows you to set the address such, but ho hum.

As Mr Beerhunter recommends - I think you're best advised to reset to factory defaults and start again. Having done so, also power cycle all your client devices, otherwise they may hang onto their existing DHCP assigned address leases until the leases time out (typically 24 hours.)

BTW - XBOX cannot "tell the router what IP address to use" - DHCP doesn't work that. That may be confusion with the uPNP process that can dynamically instruct a router to set up and tear down "port forwards" through its firewall. That's an entirely separate mechanism from the basic IP allocation process that DHCP provides.

Last edited:

markie g

Distinguished Member
What a mess.

May I suggest that before you do anything else, you do a factory reset of your router. As it stands your DHCP Server can only serve 4 IP addresses. No wonder things keep dropping out.

When you have done that set all devices to DHCP and let the DHCP Sever in the router deal with addressing. (You may want to post another screen shot after you have done the reset.
Erm im trying to think of all the wireless devices in my house.. 2x laptops, 1x mobile phone, 1x xbox and 1x desktop. If its a simple case of switching one of these devices off thats not a problem.. i rarely use the internet on my phone.

So would the best thing to do is shut down all the laptops, desktop, xbox (total 4 devices connected) and restart the modem?

Then once router has been reset start each device up and see if the problem is resolved?

beerhunter

Novice Member
So would the best thing to do is shut down all the laptops, desktop, xbox (total 4 devices connected) and restart the modem?

Then once router has been reset start each device up and see if the problem is resolved?
No. You need to do a "Factory Reset" of the router. Then ensure that all of your devices are set to DHCP. Then switch them all off. Then switch them all back on again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett