Given up on my Zidoo. Is Nvidia Shield TV Pro a suitable alternative for media files?

wonderer

Hey all

As stated after a continuous problem in which every media file I played froze and the Z9S rebooted I have given up on it. So I am now looking for an alternative specifically for playing movie and TV files from my hard drives. These will be mostly 4K and HD and will include HDR, Vision, Atmos etc. The z9s was able to (when it worked) play all of these so I am looking for the same. Also the one thing I liked about the Zidoo was its poster wall interface so one of my main questions was is there a similiar display option for the nvidia shield tv pro? I believe many use Kodi for this but I have no experience of that at all?

Another thing worrying me is that there are only 2 USB sockets on the Shield pro. The Zidoo allowed me to use a USB hub to connect a number of HDD to one USB socket on the media player. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Nvidia?

So basically is the nvidia shield tv pro suitable for HDD stored MKVs and media files? I dont care about the streaming side of it. Anyone come from a Z9S to one? Any advice is most appreciated.

dion 6

Hey all

As stated after a continuous problem in which every media file I played froze and the Z9S rebooted I have given up on it. So I am now looking for an alternative specifically for playing movie and TV files from my hard drives. These will be mostly 4K and HD and will include HDR, Vision, Atmos etc. The z9s was able to (when it worked) play all of these so I am looking for the same. Also the one thing I liked about the Zidoo was its poster wall interface so one of my main questions was is there a similiar display option for the nvidia shield tv pro? I believe many use Kodi for this but I have no experience of that at all?

Another thing worrying me is that there are only 2 USB sockets on the Shield pro. The Zidoo allowed me to use a USB hub to connect a number of HDD to one USB socket on the media player. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Nvidia?

So basically is the nvidia shield tv pro suitable for HDD stored MKVs and media files? I dont care about the streaming side of it. Anyone come from a Z9S to one? Any advice is most appreciated.
Have you thought about any other media players as you say you don't need the streaming apps and you just want to use it to play MKV’S from a HDD. I would recommend a Vero4K + it would be perfect for your needs. You can use kodi video library for a video wall and if you want to connect multiple HDDs just connect a cheap USB hub I've got 3 HDDs connected to mine. Its a highly recommended media player

wonderer

Have you thought about any other media players as you say you don't need the streaming apps and you just want to use it to play MKV’S from a HDD. I would recommend a Vero4K + it would be perfect for your needs. You can use kodi video library for a video wall and if you want to connect multiple HDDs just connect a cheap USB hub I've got 3 HDDs connected to mine. Its a highly recommended media player
Cheers for the feedback. I read about the Vero while researching this and happy to throw it into the ring as a contender. I was just edging toward the Nvidia due to its brand name and software update reliability. I have a Fire TV stick so as I say no real need for streaming ability but if I got the Nvidia pro I would just sell the fire stick. But utmost importance is the ability to play everything thrown at it from a hard drive. Does the Vero 4K cover everything?

dion 6

Cheers for the feedback. I read about the Vero while researching this and happy to throw it into the ring as a contender. I was just edging toward the Nvidia due to its brand name and software update reliability. I have a Fire TV stick so as I say no real need for streaming ability but if I got the Nvidia pro I would just sell the fire stick. But utmost importance is the ability to play everything thrown at it from a hard drive. Does the Vero 4K cover everything?
Yes the Vero covers all your bases I've 4k HDR dolby atmos it plays the lot with no problems if I where you I'd keep the firestick for the apps and get a Vero best of both worlds and save you £100. The Vero gets regular updates and is probably the best supported media player out there I've had one for 3 years now and its never let me down

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Get a Egreat A5 or A8...
Been using mine for 2 years now.
Does everything I need, even plays 100gb 4k files from the NAS.
USB 3....gigabit connection and I even use it as iptv too.
Atmos too

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Zapitti is a also another option.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Yep, it's the dogs danglies!

It just works, your wallet won't thank you though, love mine

John7

OP, do you mean the Z9X?

The Z9X is the latest from Zidoo and currently has a number of teething problems which will (hopefully) be fixed in upcoming FW updates. The latest beta is 6.1.05 I believe, which fixes some issues but leaves some problems unresolved.

I had an X9S before this and the PQ of the Z9X is a notable step up, so if you can, bear with it and see what the next update brings.

DELUCAS

Distinguished Member
OP, do you mean the Z9X?

The Z9X is the latest from Zidoo and currently has a number of teething problems which will (hopefully) be fixed in upcoming FW updates. The latest beta is 6.1.05 I believe, which fixes some issues but leaves some problems unresolved.

I had an X9S before this and the PQ of the Z9X is a notable step up, so if you can, bear with it and see what the next update brings.
Op is referring to Z9s
Dont remember op posting this issue to resolve ?

John7

Indeed, my X9s was pretty stable and I only "upgraded" for the new faster chipset and the promise of DV etc.....

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom