1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Given todays news has your Plasma been a waste of money?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Has everyone’s not insignificant outlay for an LCD or Plasma screen been something of a waste of money? I pose this question following John Archers report on the What Video and Widescreen TV homepage concerning the impending emergence of SED panels. It would appear that SED technology has all the benefits of CRT LCD and Plasma, with none of the disadvantages of those respective technologies. According to the article commercial release of this technology is now only a year away at most.

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    at what cost?

Was your first PC a waste of money - given what its resale value is now?

3. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    theres always something better around the corner. Doesnt mean that plasmas or lcd are suddenly bad at what they do. There the best at the moment

4. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Toshiba/Canon's screens are another year away - so call that 18 months in reality, that's then probably 36 months for pricing to become competitive - at which time HD will be more widely in use & affordable & so my £999 Panasonic 37PE50 which i'd probably replace in 3 years time was a fantastic buy..

5. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, my 42" PWD8 at 1200 £ inc. wall mount and delivery from Germany was a VERY good buy too... and in 3-4 years time - 5 perhaps, when I'm graduated ;) - I can buy a SED TV...

6. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil: MMMmmmmm theres always one is'nt there.I can just imagine the entire nation of new display purchasers becoming overwhelmed with the urge for anti-depression drugs and an understanding shoulder to cry on after reading that :suicide: "NOT!"We purchased our displays because we liked/loved what they have to offer now,not in the future.If we all waited for the latest technology we would never get to enjoy whats on offer right now.Do you think display technology will stop at SED i very much doubt it .Twelve month down the line after SED has been released they may be talking about a newer greater technology.Would you then feel like you have wasted your money on the SED display knowing a better technology is on the horizon i dont think so,as you would be sat there watching in your veiw sheer heaven.People live for todays technology now.Are you still inconsolable over the fact that you bought a dvd player not long ago and now HD-DVD and BLU-RAY are just around the corner,i doubt it as you will have enjoyed many a good movie on your purchase. :lesson: .We live in a world where technology will forever be improving so live for the moment or you will be deprived :smashin:

7. mickg007

mickg007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where in Germany did your buy your Panasonic ??

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't have put it better myself :)

If you like it buy it, long time dead.....................

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    If you hung on for the next best thing all the time, you would never buy anything. I dont think my 37pe30 viera plasma was a wasted purchase, even though the mark 2 vieras are HD compatable. :D

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Most people that read these forums know the pitfalls of technology, it moves fast and as soon as you buy something, something better comes around the corner.
    I was very impressed when I got my plasma and even when the new Vieras come out my picture won't suddenly deteriorate.
    The grass is always greener...you always want what you haven't got.

11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But I havent seen any disadvantages in my Plasma screen , only advantages.

12. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    mate, the same issues were raised when all the early adopters of plasma like myself found out that we could not get Hi-Def because our ageing plasmas did not have DVI or HDMI inputs, everything moves so quick these days, still gives me and the family immense pleasure watching dvd's on a 42 inch screen, C-Beebies has to be seen to be believed, The Fimbles and Peppa Pig, what colours, awesome!!!!

13. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Whose to say that SED might have some other disadvantage that noone has dreamed of yet? Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages despite the hype 18 months before its released.

14. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Also seeing todays news will we all be buying 'an acre of moon' so we can all hitch a lift to the moon with Neil Amrstrong Jnr in 2020, haha I think not.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4261522.stm

SED prices will be far too high for the next few years at least, also large OLED screens are at around the same stage as SED's. Dont let this put you off current screen technologies.

hmm now to carry on with my moon farm plans....
    http://www.needapresent.com/shop/get_ProductDetail.asp?PID=1138&DID=7

15. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Personally I can't wait to see SED in action, I think the technology has got serious 'legs'.

However, this doesn't prevent me making decisions now, and hence why I bought a plasma today :). It'll look great in the conservatory, by the time my SED TV arrives :D

16. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well I for one don't buy a t.v. with anything less than ten years service in mind, so I may well just hang on. If what's on offer is CRT PQ without the disadvantages and all on a flat screen then this would be perfect for me. I couldn't care less what comes after that as I am not so easily tempted, aftet all I only want to watch tele, not DVDs or childish games etc. Ah the impetuous nature of youth.

17. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I would be careful with your descriptions. At 38, I consider myself to be anything but childish, but still enjoy playing a decent game on the PC or console.

The fact you don't like them does not mean you should tarnish all with a brush. Just a thought.

18. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know lots of people "up in the ages", who likes to play games! Doesn't mean you're childish at all...

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im 44 and I love to play games...ohh hang on...no hes right..my wife calls me childish lol

20. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust,

I think you are right. Maybe you should stick with your 12" black and white TV for another 5 years or so, as by then the perfect screen may exist. If not, then I am sure they will 5 years after that, possibly. :devil:

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think the user name is some sort of indication here. His Nano-display will come alive and eat him, or so the story goes.

22. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn! I knew I should have waited until Sony/Matsush*ta/Pioneer/Philips brought out their holographic 3D table display, or should I wait until the personal Star Trek style holographic chamber is released? descions, descions :devil: :devil:

23. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Your right, anything less than one of these is a complete waste of money :)

24. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HA HA HA ! nice one mate:D looks like SED is already history so all those waiting for the next best thing better put their money back in their pockets"AGAIN!".The future is on the horizan :clap: I just can't wait to squeeze into my old Mr Spock outfit again(although it may need some miner adjustments) :smashin:

25. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ditto UrbanT

26. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I wasn't aware that you had been to my house njr. The response so far only reinforces my belief that it is impossible to have a reasoned debate on this forum. I simply asked whether given the impending arrival of what purports to be improved technology, if todays Plasma and LCD screens will soon become obsolete. Not everyone plays video games or DVDs, indeed the vast majority of the country do not, nor will they be likely to get Hi Def in the short term. It is for the vast majority that I pose the question.

As for games, the fact I find them childish is my own personal opinion to which I am entitled. I have seen many people buy and play arcade games but the attraction remains a mystery to me. My children used to like them and indeed play them, however, they too have since outgrown this pastime.

27. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Doesn't the fact that people have been rather vehemently defending their plasma purchases indicate to you that they don't feel it has been a waste of money?

My opinion is that people have a feel for the price they are prepared to pay to gain whatever they hope to get out of the experience - bigger screen, greater impact, better geometry, wall mounting, etc. Once they believe they are able to achieve a level of satisfaction in these goals for the price they are prepared to pay then they will buy something, pretty much irrespective of what is around this corner or the next.

Hence, I am very likely to be buying a PHD8 in the near future because I feel it will deliver me a satisfactory return on investment (sorry to sound like an accountant) and futureproof my purchase as far as is practicable. I've been waiting for a 'good' HD-ready screen to come available for several months and am really starting to resent NOT owning one now and NOT spending the money.

Sure, I could keep my money in my pocket for another 2, 3, 4, 10 years, no-one is forcing me to buy now, - after all how much of a discretionary spend is a big screen TV? - and buy SED, a nano screen, holographic projection, direct input to the visual cortex, whatever. But what have I actually gained by so doing? I know for sure I WONT have had several years worth of enjoyment out of my plasma in that time.

Spending £2K+ on a plasma is something I do not intend to do regularly (I read some people saying they will buy again in a few months and relegate quite a new screen to the bedroom/conservatory - I wish). I'd rather spend wisely now - buying a quality product which will stand many of the tests of its time - than either buy cheap just for the saving, or wait forever and tape my £10 notes to the wall where the plasma would go.

28. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    you imply directly or indirectly that those who play these video games are childish, and then you say that you cant have a reasoned debate on these forums. since when has accusing these people, such as myself and many other millions in this country, of being childish, been reasoned debate? i think you are just looking for a flame war. :nono: ;)

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Faust, whilst I don't play games either, it's a pastime for a huge number of people, and your remark is clearly aimed at insulting those who do. I should think I connect a console to about 75% of installations, so 'vast majority' you refer to does not exist, or at least not amongst those who buy plasma displays. Expessing a 'luddite' viewpoint on a forum dedicated to technology is not going to win you many friends even if you don't wave insults about.

30. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Where do I sign for a pre-order? :lease: