1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Given choice (floorstander or bookshelf )

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chris thomas, Jun 18, 2002.

1. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps, i,m looking to run a 7.1 set up from my denon3802, my room measures 22ft by 12ft,
    i currently hav a set of kef concerto 1 floorstanders and a kef coda c centre speaker and a mission 7as2 sub.
    My question is i,m looking for another 2 pairs of speakers for a full set up and want to know would you go for another couple of sets of floorstanders has i can fit them in (dedicated room ):eek:

Or should i be sensible and go for a couple of sets of bookshelf rears,:rolleyes:

Would it be worth the extra outlay or just daft, the speakers i had in mind were to get another set of concerto 1,s and use them has rears, the 4 of them and probably go concerto 2,s up front, :D

Or just be sensible and go for 2 sets of coda 7,s for rears keeping the concerto 1,s up front :confused:
    your reccommendations please and no i,m not mad, cheers:)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Hi

Using the same speakers all round is a good idea and improves surround performance because the speakers all match tonally.

Only drawback to floorstanders is you are stuck to having them on the floor. Bookshelf speakers can be mounted high, low, etc and are more flexible giving you more options to play with positioning and fine tuning the sound.

It might be worth considering a pair of floorstanders as surrounds but a pair of bookshelf´s as rear centres. Have the floorstanders positioned just behind the listening position angled in towards it (or at the side of the listening position) and the rear centres up higher on the back wall angled down.

The Denon 3802 gives you the option of having a 2nd pair of surround speakers (surround B) so you could even have a 2nd pair of Concerto 1 as surround B, for use with multichannel music, etc and then have 2 pairs of Coda 7 as surround A and Surround Backs. Bit over the top but might be worth considering!!

3. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jase, very helpfull m8, be over there on my hols sept, cant wait, cheers again ;)