Given a choice would you avoid Halal meat?

Given a choice would you avoid Hala meat?

• Avoid

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 43 53.8%

• Total voters

m4rky_m4rk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Apparently a lot of meat qualifies as Halal but is not labelled as such:

BBC News - Halal meat: David Cameron 'won't intervene on labels'

Personally I avoid, as much as I can, anything that is has a connection to religious practise. If I saw something labelled as Halal then it would make me feel uneasy and I would avoid it. Maybe I am odd in that way? If its a common concern then I can understand why some companies avoid using the label on their products.

Marks and Spencer, Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose and the Co-op said their New Zealand lamb was halal, while Pizza Express has already revealed its chicken is killed according to Islamic tradition

Almost all meat from New Zealand is halal as their biggest export market is the middle east.

Would you avoid hot cross buns for the same reasons? Would you refuse to eat a meal where someone has said grace beforehand (or similar for other religions)?

No. Makes no difference to me if the animals I eat have some grubby bloke in a bloody apron mumbling nonsense whilst he kills them.

Almost all meat from New Zealand is halal as their biggest export market is the middle east.

Would you avoid hot cross buns for the same reasons? Would you refuse to eat a meal where someone has said grace beforehand (or similar for other religions)?
Avoid buckfast? :clap:

I'm not sure about this.
Yes, meat is meat, I'm not religious so I shouldn't really care.
But I also don't want it forced on me, and the way things are going soon it could be halal only.

And there is the other debate about how (some) halal and most kosher meat is not humane to the animals, which I really do care about.

Hot Cross Buns taste the same as normal buns. Halal can taste worse if the non stunned animal panics and releases adrenaline into the meat. So I'd avoid it because it could taste worse. I don't care about the religious connotations. That's all meaningless mumbo jumbo.

Makes no difference to me whether its a halal kebab, a chocolate easter egg, or christmas cake.
Washed own with Trappist beer.
Seriously, who cares?

Halal can taste worse if the non stunned animal panics and releases adrenaline into the meat. So I'd avoid it because it could taste worse.
You've not noticed the 'worse' taste up to now though have you?

Halal meat row: faith leaders make joint call for clearer labelling | Life and style | theguardian.com
According to the Food Standards Agency, at least 90% of animals slaughtered for halal meat are stunned before being killed, despite the insistence of some strict Muslim groups that stunning means the meat no longer qualifies as halal.

You've not noticed the 'worse' taste up to now though have you?
Well if it tastes the same then lets just all use non-Halal meat and label it up as Halal for those that think its important

Avoid.

All meat is murder. I get it, I'm a hypocrite, etc etc.

I'm just sensitive about animals that choke in agony on their own blood for no real reason. And I don't care if the animals die 'quickly' after their throats are slit: one second of unnecessary pain and distress is one second too much.

If Jews & Muslims are ok with the animals being stunned first, then I don't care what religious blessings are bestowed upon the animal.

Well if it tastes the same then lets just all use non-Halal meat and label it up as Halal for those that think its important
:facepalm:That's a different point you're making, & not related to my point.
Halal can taste worse if the non stunned animal panics and releases adrenaline into the meat.
If we've really been eating halal meat unknowingly for ages, then SteakAndCake has been eating dodgy tasting meat for ages but never noticed it ever tasted dodgy o_O

So all those who are (rightly) concerned about animal welfare when the animal is slaughtered, I take it you're concerned enough about animal welfare during its life to want to eat free-range/organic meat?

So all those who are (rightly) concerned about animal welfare when the animal is slaughtered, I take it you're concerned enough about animal welfare during its life to want to eat free-range/organic meat?

I try to buy grass not grain fed beef as it tastes better. If I could afford it, I'd eat Kobe every day secure in the knowledge that they enjoyed beer and massage all their lives.

Any practice that minimises the suffering of food animals gets my vote.

And yes I am a meat-eater and well aware of the hypocrisy of that, when avoiding animal products altogether is the best way. But I draw the line at increasing the suffering of conscious creatures for entirely avoidable reasons.

It should be pointed out that some Halal practices (depending on their interpretation of their holy book) incorporate stunning into their methodology- which is laudable. And by the same token, there are bad slaughter practices that aren't religious. The fact is, slitting animal's throats open and letting them bleed to death is ****ing awful.

I don't avoid it, but I would be nice to have the choice to avoid it if I wanted to.

If they stun it 1st i suppose, but without stunning its not very nice and its cruel, i mean its cruel enough to begin with.

I try to buy grass not grain fed beef as it tastes better. If I could afford it, I'd eat Kobe every day secure in the knowledge that they enjoyed beer and massage all their lives.
Any fast food or processed foods in your diet?

Find a decent local butcher/farm shop where you can typically can trace the origin of the meat (organic or not).

Most cattle and sheep are slaughtered in the UK by stunning and throat slitting. Halal or not. The only difference is a mumbo jumbo prayer.
There are some Halal slaughterhouses that cut the animals throats whilst they are still conscious.

But most of the meat that you will eat will be from an animal that was alive when it's throat was cut.

Phil

I care because animals experience exactly the same pain and fear responses we do. And I wouldn't want my throat slit open while I was conscious.

I respect and share your concern for the suffering of animals Lucas. To clarify, the 'who cares' part in my post refers to this quote from the OP..
"I avoid, as much as I can, anything that is has a connection to religious practise."

I am not a Muslim, if they want to sell me meat slaughtered according to Islamic tradition then I would expect to be informed. That way I can make an informed choice, and I would choose to avoid it. In my view its an inhumane way to kill an animal. I buy all my meat from my local butcher, I am pretty fussy and want to know the origins of what I am eating.

Not surprised that Cameron wont intervene when people may be eating halal meat without knowing though, be a different tune if it was Muslims complaining about eating non-halal meat without being informed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom