Quantcast

Give us a clue ?

karkus30

Banned
At the moment Im using a basic Yamaha surround set up for h/c. The sub tends to start complaining on some dvds even though its turned almost off. Speech isnt the greatest either. But for all its faults it only cost £300 5 years ago and does a pretty good job.

Im ready to upgrade now and want a package that improves on what I already have. I have a seperate system for hi fi so this is purely for h/c.

2nd hand would be more than fine, thats the way I buy hi fi anyway. New, only if I must.

Around £1200 including amplifier (I dont need a receiver), Im unlikely to go much past 5.1 sound. I dont use the amp for digital switching, purely for audio and I use a PJ so dont even need shielded speakers.

I dont want to spend time at demos, I think its irrelevant unless the whole kit and caboodle is set up in your own home. Reviews in hifi mags are treated with contempt. Been there , done that. % stars [email protected] Its your experience Im after.

Any ideas ?

Posted to h/c amps as well.

ridd

Standard Member
If you are only looking for movies then i would suggest a Sub sat system bassed around a very good sub. In home cinema the sub tends to do hell of a lot of work.

Just my opinion. I have the kef q7 cinema because i do use mine for music. Perhaps some of the sub sat people might like to give comments.

Mark

Dfour

Just trying to clarify exactly what you are after.
DVD player
AV amp
5.1 speakers. Floor standers or stand mounters?

Is this about correct?

How about:
Pioneer 565s multi region about £180
Yamaha ax 640 approx £300
Acoustic energy Evo setup approx£600 inc sub

Obviously this all new prices. Just an idea of mine.

:smashin:

karkus30

Banned
DVD player already taken care of with a Phillips 962 SA. The AX620 and AE systems always get the 5 star write ups, but does anyone actually own this set up ?? 5 star reviews dont count for much in my experience.

I have heard several systems that use a mismatched sub woofer and they sound very overblown. The M & K system appeals. Floor or stand mount doesnt matter.

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by karkus30
I have heard several systems that use a mismatched sub woofer and they sound very overblown. The M & K system appeals.
Overblown subs are frequently just badly setup. The M&K K series aren't bad speakers but the matching sub is expensive for what it is. The "non K" series are much better but it's pushing it a bit on your budget even second hand.