Give us a clue ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by karkus30, Apr 11, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    At the moment Im using a basic Yamaha surround set up for h/c. The sub tends to start complaining on some dvds even though its turned almost off. Speech isnt the greatest either. But for all its faults it only cost £300 5 years ago and does a pretty good job.

Im ready to upgrade now and want a package that improves on what I already have. I have a seperate system for hi fi so this is purely for h/c.

2nd hand would be more than fine, thats the way I buy hi fi anyway. New, only if I must.

Around £1200 including amplifier (I dont need a receiver), Im unlikely to go much past 5.1 sound. I dont use the amp for digital switching, purely for audio and I use a PJ so dont even need shielded speakers.

I dont want to spend time at demos, I think its irrelevant unless the whole kit and caboodle is set up in your own home. Reviews in hifi mags are treated with contempt. Been there , done that. % stars [email protected] Its your experience Im after.

Any ideas ?

Posted to h/c amps as well.

2. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are only looking for movies then i would suggest a Sub sat system bassed around a very good sub. In home cinema the sub tends to do hell of a lot of work.

Just my opinion. I have the kef q7 cinema because i do use mine for music. Perhaps some of the sub sat people might like to give comments.

Mark

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just trying to clarify exactly what you are after.
    DVD player
    AV amp
    5.1 speakers. Floor standers or stand mounters?

Is this about correct?

How about:
    Pioneer 565s multi region about £180
    Yamaha ax 640 approx £300
    Acoustic energy Evo setup approx£600 inc sub

Obviously this all new prices. Just an idea of mine.

:smashin:

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    DVD player already taken care of with a Phillips 962 SA. The AX620 and AE systems always get the 5 star write ups, but does anyone actually own this set up ?? 5 star reviews dont count for much in my experience.

I have heard several systems that use a mismatched sub woofer and they sound very overblown. The M & K system appeals. Floor or stand mount doesnt matter.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Overblown subs are frequently just badly setup. The M&K K series aren't bad speakers but the matching sub is expensive for what it is. The "non K" series are much better but it's pushing it a bit on your budget even second hand.