Give me some reasons not to buy the Toshiba 42" LCD please!

D

DaveP

This set really appeals to me.

I like the spec:

It's BIG
It's got dual HDMI
It's got a PC input

So, what's wrong with it?

I saw the wlt58 running HD against about 10 other HD sets and its HD performance was the worst. This was on the 32inch though.

I then read a mag. Active Vision I think which reviewed 10 HD ready LCD's. All the top LCD's which included the Panny52, latest Sony, Sammy r series and the top of the range Philips were reviewed. The mag was only impressed with the SD quality of the Philips and the Toshiba. They though were not impressed with the HD picture of the Toshiba as they said it suffered from motion blur.

It was interesting in view of what I saw in Comets. Therefore I would try and see the Tosh running HD before buying. You could try sevenoaks if you have one near you. They had a lot of sets running HD. I did not pay attention to the Tosh in there though as I was more interested in seeing the set I had.

It doesn't have picture in picture. For me I'd use that for cctv to see who's at the door and what's on the other side.

I'd wait for the new 66 models coming soon which have 1920x1080 (i or p, prob i) and are in 42" and 47" versions. They have pip.

The new models look better.

marty2005 said:
It doesn't have picture in picture. For me I'd use that for cctv to see who's at the door and what's on the other side.

I'd wait for the new 66 models coming soon which have 1920x1080 (i or p, prob i) and are in 42" and 47" versions. They have pip.

The new models look better.

I was thinking of buying the same model, but spooted your post regarding the new generation of models with higher res.
marty2005, do the new models have picture in picture feature?
Do you have any info on pricing please?

rgds :)

Dave P,
I have a Tosh 42" - so of course I'm biased.....

I am very happy with mine, there will always be a newer, better model coming out, you have to the plunge at some stage.

I've downloaded lots of Hi-Def clips onto mine and I think they look spectacular, no sign of blurring etc on mine and I sit fairly close to it.

Also, games via the PC are great on such a large screen, with no sign of blurring that I can see.

Take the plunge!

Thanks, but you are supposed to be telling me why NOT to buy it:devil:

I'm pretty much decided after looking at the Bravias (S has PC input but no picture enhancement an the V is the other way around!). The Samsung 40" has a lot going for it (it's cheap!), but the Tosh' is the only current model that I know of that has VGA and 2 HDMI inputs along with HD capable component too.

The money and the number of HD inputs are the key issues with me. Any newer models with have more inputs but they will most likely cost a lot more too as the current models will be cleared at reduced prices, presumably.

I just bought the JVC-DX7BJ and that has 2 HDMI inputs :thumbsup:

Although, I don't know what the HDMI inputs are for :p What would I use it for apart from XBox 360?

I don't know what you would use them for but in my case I need them for a) Sky HD and b) DVD player. In addition to that I'd have my PC to VGA and X-Box to Component

Funny, cos all you hear about the Samsung 32" is problems with tearing and motion blur which firmware fixes can't cope.

I also went to Comet and watched their hi-def feed on 10 sets and I thought the 37" Tosh (which I have) was the best picture of the lot.

The Samsungs were dull (and nothing could change that)
The Philips was too bright it was distorting.
The Toshiba had a lovely glowing image that I just kept coming back too.

Also of course the Freemans deal helped :)

I sent my 1st 37" tosh back and my 2nd one is pixel perfect. :)

What worries me about the 42" is it's lower contrast specs, which I guess means it won't go as bright (or poss as black)

ohanlon said:
I just bought the JVC-DX7BJ and that has 2 HDMI inputs :thumbsup:

Although, I don't know what the HDMI inputs are for :p What would I use it for apart from XBox 360?

You sure that's the correct model number for the JVC?

Well you all failed miserably! Apart from flashman!

I have placed the order with Freemans, so assuming it goes through ok, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if I have made the most expensive mistake of my life!

I shall of course hold this forum fully responsible!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom