Give me some Anadin please !!!

Bacus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right my HTPC is giving me some agro and a thumping Headache :(
Please try and help out :lease:

My HTPC is running Vista pro 32bit.
The HTPC is working great and it is displaying a lovely picture via a VGA lead to my plasma.

My problem is......... I would like to connect my HTPC to my plasma via the DVI output on the pc to the HDMI input on my plasma. I have the DVI to HDMI lead BUT as soon as it is connected the picture looks crap :( screen res looks wrong and i am getting a halo affect around all the type letters !!

Am i doing something wrong ?

As soon as i go back to a VGA cable all is well again... But ideally i would like this to run via an HDMI lead.

Any help please..... Regards Bacus

Vista "pro" - there is no such edtion. Do you mean Home Premium or Ultimate?

Regarding the screen problems did you try playing with you display adapters settings?

Sorry its "Ultimate"
Vista "pro" - there is no such edtion. Do you mean Home Premium or Ultimate?

Regarding the screen problems did you try playing with you display adapters settings?

Right my HTPC is giving me some agro and a thumping Headache :(
Please try and help out :lease:

My HTPC is running Vista pro 32bit.
The HTPC is working great and it is displaying a lovely picture via a VGA lead to my plasma.

My problem is......... I would like to connect my HTPC to my plasma via the DVI output on the pc to the HDMI input on my plasma. I have the DVI to HDMI lead BUT as soon as it is connected the picture looks crap :( screen res looks wrong and i am getting a halo affect around all the type letters !!

Am i doing something wrong ?

As soon as i go back to a VGA cable all is well again... But ideally i would like this to run via an HDMI lead.

Any help please..... Regards Bacus

Could be the curse of Sumsung mate. What resolution are you feeding it via DVI and VGA? Also what is the native resolution of the plasma? If it's 1024x768 you could be screwed. :(

Wo0zy

Wo0zy, I am trying to feed it 1024x768 which is the native resolution of my Poineer panel. Does Vista not support this resolution then ??
Could be the curse of Sumsung mate. What resolution are you feeding it via DVI and VGA? Also what is the native resolution of the plasma? If it's 1024x768 you could be screwed. :(

Wo0zy

What graphics card you using? as my Ati x1950 came up with a display about 3 weeks:)rotfl:) after i started using DVI-HDMI asking me if im using an HDMI cable and would i like it to change settings to suit..??

Also when i went from VGA to HDMI on my 32" lcd i thought like you and that the picture was better with the VGA but i stuck with it (hdmi) and after a while when i did go back to VGA as a test the picture IS duller, not as crisp especially really high res pictures and HD movies.. but on VGA the clarity of texts and fonts is sharper than via HDMI..

So what i'm getting at is for looking at gorgeous photos and watching HD movies the HDMI cable is a lot better than VGA but for things like word or forum reading etc i did find VGA a lot clearer..

As a test try using this pic and see what the difference is when using either connection as to me they are worlds apart.

desktop2.jpg

Mart

Wo0zy, I am trying to feed it 1024x768 which is the native resolution of my Poineer panel. Does Vista not support this resolution then ??

Hi M8,

It's not Vista. It's the fact that 1024x768 panels typically only accept HDTV timings via HDMI (720, 1080i, 1080P). These are all widescreen resolutions (16:9). With a panel that has a native resolution of 1024x768 (which is actually 4:3) this means you're missing about a fifth of the pixels required and therefore the panel has to scale the image the best it can. The practical upshot is that while video will look OK, the desktop will be very distorted.

When using VGA (or PC as screen manufacturers insist on calling it) typically you can get 1-to-1 pixel mapping i.e. 1024x768 in your case. This results in a perfect 4:3 image that you normally have to "stretch" to fill the screen resulting in a skewed aspect ratio..

I call it the curse of Samsung because I've had a number of customers with 1024x768 Samsung Plasma's that suffer from this exact problem. :(

If you can get your graphics card to display 1024x768 over HDMI and your screen will accept it then go with it. It might be 4:3 but there you go. However, in many cases this is possible.

Cheers,

Wo0zy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom