Give me a portable audio solution to get from Santa

AzzaM

Novice Member
Sadly my Sony NWZ-S639F is dying. It doesn't like shutting down properly, and usually comes back on after a few seconds, so in the mornings it's practically out of battery, which even on a full charge doesn't last very long any more. Shure SE110s are pretty knackered as well now, so I need something new and who better to get me something new than the big man!

I don't mind spending £150-£170 on IEMs (£200 at max if they're worth it) as long as I've got something to plug them into that'll make them worth the money and I've been really thinking about a Sansa Clip+ and getting a 32Gb memory card for it and maybe a FiiO amp to go with it.

I'm not too fussed about size, watching videos on it or what ever because I can use my phone for that, or if I'm going some where, I'll probably have my laptop or tablet on me any way. I don't really have a budget, but it'd be a couple hundred £, not really asked for anything from him this year, so this would probably be my only real gift and either IEMs or the mp3 player I'll buy myself.

Any solution suggestions and specifically recommendations for IEMs?

So far I've come up with these?

ACS T15 - flange tips putting me off a lot, despite good reviews.
Shure SE425 - higher end of the budget.
Westone UM2 - again good reviews, just bass a bit soft, dubbed as being 'safe'.
Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 - The old pro as it were, but again high end of the budget.

Then there are Minerva Mi-1's, would it be a bit silly getting these just because they would be a perfect fit? I doubt I could afford to get the Mi-2s, sadly.

Thanks. :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
Westone UM2 - again good reviews, just bass a bit soft, dubbed as being 'safe'.
Where did you read that? Would not use those adjectives at all. Warm sound signature, bass bias. A hint of sibilance .It is only when you listen to higher end offerings that you realise the UM2's bass is slightly bloaty, but then it will likely be superior to anything you have heard bass wise if it is your first substantial universal IEM purchase

AzzaM

Novice Member
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

Need IEMs.

Where did you read that? Would not use those adjectives at all. Warm sound signature, bass bias. A hint of sibilance .It is only when you listen to higher end offerings that you realise the UM2's bass is slightly bloaty, but then it will likely be superior to anything you have heard bass wise if it is your first substantial universal IEM purchase

Hmmm okay, just a couple of reviews on Head Fi, like you say I probably wouldn't notice. And nope not really, the SE110s are the best IEMs I've ever owned.

After reading quite a few reviews and ljokerl's massive IEM reivew thread on Head Fi I've narrowed it down to the following. In order of what I'm thinking I'll go for.

Westone UM2s - £189.99

HiFiMan RE-272s - £169

Vsonic GR07s - £129.99

ACS T15 (universal) - £149.99

HiFiMan RE-262s - £99

Steven - Think a Fiio amp would be worth the cash over a Cmoy I've got? The Cmoy should still work, it just needs a new battery. :)

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator
Personally, no. If the cmoy works then you might as well invest the money in a better IEM or save it up with xmas round the corner. I've been pleasantly surprised by both but it seems to be spending money for the sake of it. I have had excellent success with the UM2 on its own with my phone, iPod and Sansa Clip+

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom