1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me a 'good' book anyday

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Malone, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Do you know what, I am beginning to believe that films are always the same and it is us who change our opinions.
    I (not based on any factual evidence) always 'seem' to remember various films such as the original King Kong as absolute classics or maybe films such as, The Voyage of Sinbad(the one with the 'skeleton' warriors) as being really enjoyable films(when i was a young 'un').

I honestly cannot remember seeing a mainstream film for years and years that has provoked any kind of real emotion, be it anger/pity/excitement/sorrow etc etc. Yeah sure, I have enjoyed the likes of Spiderman 1 and 2 et al and the Harry potter films etc etc, maybe my senses are getting numb the older I get but surely there is a novelist that can come up with a story(then to film) which sparks something in me. Even The Lord of the Rings films although very well done just did not excite any particular emotion which I have always thought was an essential part of a story.

Books are a different kettle of fish I can really get involved in a book to the point that it is literally impossible to put them down. The Rama series from Arthur J Clarke springs to mind. Maybe I am expecting the impossible, translating a book to film, it just doesn't seem to happen. :rolleyes:

Matt

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Give me a good movie in HD on a good setup with DTS sound. :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's just a whole different medium though - sometimes watching a film is the right thing to do, other times reading a book, perhaps just listening to music, doing a crossword or playing computer games. All of them have their "classic" moments but it's important to sift through the rubbish. Music and computer games are good examples, the "classic" albums and games were released many years or decades ago. This doesn't necessarily mean that modern stuff is rubbish but it does have a higher bar to reach to attain "classic" status. :)

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    As much as I love films (and if it came down to books or films then the book would go ;) ) there are some books that i've read that have been truly captivating and unputdownable.

Don't read many books at all these days, hell the last ones were the Potter books (which are a million times better than the films, imo).

When I did read a good book, for example, I used to read many of James Herbert's books several years ago. I loved them, read a chapter, time for bed, no just 1 more chapter and so on and so on. Almost addictive! Be up half the night!

Maybe a best book of all time debate needed :D

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yeah that makes sense, I just find nowadays most films seem to be an ' oo what can we do with CGI now' scenario. As opposed to making a film of a good story where the CGI is seamless and invisible.
    Like I said I do enjoy turning up the amp and soaking up a good flick, I just feel a little dissapointed afterwards. I guess its a case of having an overactive imagination as a kid. I read a lot and made my own images in my head whereas watching a film is the producers imagination I suppose.

Matt.

6. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    basically mate i say slow down on the overhyped,overcgied blockies and watch something a bit more visceral.

may i suggest hotel rwanda,the machinist,theres loads of great movies to watch that dont really rely on cgi etc.

we shall chat on msn very soon my young padewan

7. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I find the Alex Cross Novels By James Patterson a good read, Just starting the series again

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have never been a book reader as I’ve never had the patience for them. However, I do wish I could read them as I’m sure there are many books that can portray images in your head that are stronger than those seen on screen. I’ve personally not found anything that has gripped me though… :rolleyes:

9. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Im a tv generation kid, Its an ongoing joke about me, my AV setup and vast collection of films but in the end I have to agree that a good book is better than a good film. I really enjoy watching films and only in the last few years got into reading books, where ive seen the film and read the books the book always wins.

The Lord of the Rings was a fantastic series of films but the books were better IMHO. Dont get me wrong, no film ive seen has been so close to the book in terms of setting etc. than Peter Jacksons efforts, I went a little teary eyed when Gandalf Life his staff when the entered Moria, it was exactly as Id imagined it when reading the books.

I just feel that when you watch a film you miss alot of detail, not that its not there, just that alot's done for you. Your mind obviously does a whole lot more when your reading so I feel you get more out of it.

10. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone for a pipe and slippers :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

11. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Dont forget the Horlicks Blondie, and me feet are in need of a good massage :D :smashin:

Matt

12. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks Master Chad, chat we will. Films this type I do not know. Educate perhaps me you can. May the farce be with you. :smashin:

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    21 Grams, The assination of Richard Nixon, Mystic River, The life aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Just some films that have left me emotionally drained and I could go on. Check them out.

Pete.

14. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not a simple book or film decision. Both are great in the context within which they reside. Now films of books that is a whole different story. Lord of the Rings is an awful book but a not-bad film. Too often it is the other way around

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It has to be said that Hollywood has not been going in a very healthy direction for quite some time now. The people who actually decide whether films get made or not are businessmen, not artists. So they choose to have films made that they think will make money. Because the film industry is such an uncertain thing, they're constantly flailing around looking for some sort of "formula" for a film that is likely to turn a profit. Of course, in reality, this is very hard to pin down.

The idea for a Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy movie, for example, had been around for a long time. What finally began to get it moving was the success of Men In Black: the execs said "ah, this comedy about humans and wacky aliens was successful, so we must make more comedies about humans and wacky aliens, and maybe they will be successful too. Anyone got any scripts like that?"

Similarly the just-about-to-be-with-us series of Narnia films was sparked by the success of Harry Potter. And we've had a long of superhero movies. The same process leads to the endless succession of sub-par sequels.

Because there is no longer any particular desire to make "good" films, only "safe" films that are likely not to make a loss, it's becoming quite unusual for a film to be - well, unusual, or well-written. I've long since lost count of the films I've seen where my reaction afterwards was "well, it might have made quite a good half-hour short film, but there simply wasn't anywhere enough material to fill up a feature film." It's usually the script that's the problem.

There are a few exceptions, even within Hollywood. I'm quite a fan of Charlie Kaufman, for example - Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are both fascinating pieces of writing.

But it's also possible to be too fussy. Star Wars episode 3, for example, was never going to have much dramatic depth, but, my Goodness, the sheer spectacle of it is amazing.

At the other end of the scale you might come across a film like Rabbit-Proof Fence: not actually particularly exciting, and the digital grading (at least I assume that's what it is) starts to annoy after a while. But pretty much the entire film is carried simply by the director's (or possibly the cameraman's) fascination with faces; and, in particular, the extraordinary way that the faces of the principal girl (Everlyn Sampi) and the aboriginal tracker (David Gulpil) are turned into works of art by the camera lens.

If you approach each film on its individual merits, and don't expect it to be something it isn't trying to be, there is much to enjoy.

16. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    must be up at 6.OOam i need to water the garden and buy a paper so i can sit and drink my Yorkshire tea with some Werthers Originals, then it's time for a good novel, maybe by good old Agatha herself :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

17. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ahh now theres a good book, Ten little ******* (wont name it due to offensive original title) That really is class, another book in the l.....o.......n......g list of crap films based on superb book, another is The Running Man, book was brilliant IMHO and the film was a travesty.

Matt

18. elicash73

elicash73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    S I D E W A Y S

Learn to see past the box office.

Hollywood needs the summer spectacles to finance films of greater merit. You do have a say in what is made. Pick the right films to go and see this summer. Anyone who pays to see 'Stealth' should be shot. Send them the right message and make an effort to see the more interesting films with less coverage.

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That's the first time I've heard it that way around!

20. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Err, Life Aquatic................... I look forward to films which are character based as opposed to block busters but Steve Zissou is dull and lifeless, I found nothing to 'enjoy' about this film. As for comedy,err when? I gave it an hour then turned it off. Piffle and hogswallop, as my Pa would say. Characters were totally unlikeable and unbelievable.
    As they say, Each to their Own.
    :suicide:
    Matt

21. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yep definetley agree Malone - Emotional involvement is on the decline :( . Can anybody actually remember the last film that either made you cry or angry or genuinley happy without cheap slapstick laughter. Aaah Harvey (James Stewart)now thats a film I could go on about.

Recentley read a book called Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and was absolutley blown away with it a true story, violence, philosophy, science love,moral and ethical values etc. Its now being made into a film with Johnny Depp leading. I dont want to get my hope up as most book to film versions are dissapointing.

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Vera Drake made me cry - christ the trailer made me weep (first one ever, i've never blubbed at a trailer before)

LOTR - an awful book :eek: second best selling book of all time - i wish i could write a book that bad :D

as eli pointed out pick the right film and you will have emotional attachment - Sideways is a FANTASTIC movie an so far is my film of the year (well last year :confused: )

on a sour note - i've now come accross the second film in two days that Cap and I have to disagree on - 21 grams - i wanted to like it but it was a mess, time wise it was all over the place so i found it hard to emote for a character that was dead one minute and then back the next.

if you want to watch something emotive watch Jean De Florette and Manon Des Sources - the twist at the end of the second film could get tears out of a statue - fantastic :smashin:

and i have to agree with NicB that hollywood is a mess at the moment.

Gary

23. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the risk of being burned in hell alongside you, I do have to agree here. I love a good book, but for me it generally is sci-fi / fantasy (huge Pratchett fan) and I just couldn't get along with LOTR. Too much 'padding'. And how the hell are you supposed to 'read' the 'songs'?

The movie was a revelation. The padding turned into stunning visuals and the songs all but eliminated.

I'd like to think cinema could do the same with DaVinci code too. Gripping story but even I could write it better! And you've all seen what my language skills are like... :D

24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've never read LOTR!!! i couldn't get past the first 50 pages. if you want to see something intersting watch the extras on the extended editions "book to script" or something like that. very eye opening - even writers think its badly written :D

Gary

25. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I have read the first LOTR when I was at school. I bought the last of the trilogy (return of the king) a few months after seeing twin towers. I got to the second page and never returned.... :oops:

I watch far to much tv to have time to read books. I'm also more of a magazine person. :D

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    It's not your fault Razor that you're part of the MTV generation! :D

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I blame my love for AV :D

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I read the "titanic" of books - "The Da Vinci Code" a couple of weeks ago which i throughly enjoyed, but it was the first book i'd read in years! My brother thinks i'm a "knuckle dragger" because i dont read.

Gary

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Movies are the books of the 21st century. I doubt reading novels is as popular now as it was 50 years ago. :rolleyes:

30. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I haven’t read ‘The Da Vinci Code’ but did start to read ‘Angels and Demons’ by the same author whilst on holiday. It was great while it lasted but I haven’t picked it up since I got back! :blush: