1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

girls alound/ one true voice concerts cancelled

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by the.jackass, Feb 19, 2003.

1. the.jackass

the.jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    due to poor tickets sales, no wonder who wants to watch manufactured s***e like them.

god the british music industry really sucks big time, its an absolute embarresment. i dread to think who will win awards at the brits 2003.

all of the people below
    garth gates
    will young
    blue
    girls aloud
    one true voice
    david sneddon
    s club 7
    and thats just a few, all these people should be killed for killing the music industry

2. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agree with you, but i don`t think you can lay the blame on their doorstep. the rot started well before any of those lot were around

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The big problem here is, as the.jackass mentioned, that it's a music industry.

Whether we (or the music industry bigwigs) like it or not, Girls Aloud and One True Voice sold a whole load of singles and have made a whole lot of money.

Yes, it was lunacy to arrange and promote a tour before either of the bands had their albums released but you can guarantee that when they are released, they'll both go top ten.

The music industry will therefore happily court such bands until their record sales dry up, after which time you'll not hear from them again.

Still, that won't matter, Pop Idol II starts soon :laugh: :rotfl:

4. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reading through your list again, i would possibly take will young out of it. i think he is quiet talented, with a decent and distinct voice, and if he eventually gets some artistic freedom from his record label/management, could become an extremely good artist.

of course juboy is right about the record industry being big business etc. it`s the same as film making-never let art get in the way of making money.

5. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can blame any of those particular 'artistes' for the state of the music industry. As the lyrics of a far more talented group of musicians (The Jam) aptly put it...

"the public gets, what the public wants"

The music industry only really creates what sells, I hope the cancelling of the Girls Aloud/One True Voice is a sign that public taste is changing but I doubt it.

Personally I like a bit of well produced trash pop, and I like lots of truly talented jazz, opera, classical, rap, and rock. I think of it a bit like I do a Big Mac... hardly the work of a culinary genius but for a quick snack that you can eat and forget there's sometimes nothin better.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, it doesn't show a change in public taste, what it does show is that the record purchasing demographic who buy Girls Aloud/One True Voice isn't the same demographic who buy concert tickets.

Christ, imagine if they had sold out a night at Wembley Arena, it'd have been the biggest school run ever seen that night :)

Seriously though, with no album (sorry record company people 'product') in the shops, they were trying to sell a big venue tour to 13 year olds on the back of 4 released songs. It was never going to work.

Nice PR work of Louis Walsh to blame the boys for dragging the girls down though and claiming, first, that they are happier not to be touring with One True Voice. You can see why the man's made million$

7. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with you to a point sharon. personally i enjoy plenty of "no brainer" music, but it wouldn`t be any of the above.
    as for the music industry creating what sells, that is true to a point, but promotion and advertising has a great deal to do with what is conceived as popular music.
    i believe that with enough money and exposure put behind an idea, any concept could be sold to the public sucessfully for a limited time, and that is what happens with alot of these "bands". the music is nearly an irrelevence, the image being at the fore.
    but it`s been happening long before the current crop were around and will continue to happen long after they are gone.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has been said by several people in the industry that if you have £2 million pounds which you're happy to blow plus one or more good looking people under 25 happy to front your 'act', you can pretty much guarantee to get yourself a number one record in the UK.

Witness Peter Stringfellow's girlfriend recently getting a top forty hit record, purely on the strength of her wanting to have a hit and him having the money to make it happen.

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    not sure about them making loads of money - someone has but I doubt if it's them. LibertyX for example are on £12k a year for their 1st year in the industry, although it's pretty much fully expensed all those hotel / limmo's/video costs come directly from their royalties in the end

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, I didn't make it too clear in my earlier post... I had meant that they'd sold a lot of singles (300,000+ at last count) and that will have made/generated a lot of money.

I totally agree with common that the majority of that money won't be seen by the 'artisits' themselves. In fact, I believe both Girls Aloud and OTV are contracted to receive £1500 per month, per member for the first year. If you recall, or even care, one original member of the girl's possible line-up actually quit the show as she felt that wasn't enough.

Still, there's a lot of people out there who'd be happy to earn £1,500 a month all expenses paid. Plus the bonus that most of the girls will no doubt end up getting together with an altogether more wealthy pop star/actor/football player...

11. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ah i see there is a God after all.:clap: