GioTeck EX-01 Question

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by SnOpPeR, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SnOpPeR

SnOpPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I brought the Gio Teck EX - 01 yesterday for £15 which I thought was good value and struggling to find the official PS3 one anywhere. I have one question for anyone that also has this headset.

Managed to pair first time with my PS3 and set the microphone level to 3 which seemed to be a good volume. However I notice when playing R2 my mic seems to be going on and off every few seconds even when im not speaking and there is no background noise. Is this normal or is this headset just really sensitve? Also when no one else is talking I can hear a quiet hissing sound in the earpiece so just wondered what other peoples feedback was on this?

Cheers

2. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Not sure about the mic going on and off, how would I be able to tell?

As for the back ground hiss, I didn't have it when I first bought it but I've noticed it is there a few weeks after. It was probably there all the time but I was too deaf to hear it :)

They're good headsets, especially if you don't like the in-ear type, those ones hurt my ear after a whle.

3. luke90

luke90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If your mic is coming on every few seconds i would suggest you had the setting too high. I have mine set at level 1 on the PS3 and fine this perfect as it doesnt pick up on the background noise but if i speak it picks it up then. As for the hiss i have noticed this sometimes but it doesnt bother me.

I have the new PS3 headset on order too anyway so i can compare then.

4. SnOpPeR

SnOpPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers I will reduce it to 1 and see how I get on. Must admit it is a lot more comfortable compared to my old phone headset.

Broken the way I tell if my mic is going on and off is by checking the mic icon in RS2 and also COD WAW to see if it keeps switching on :)

5. mascot

mascot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    In my experience the problem with person-to-person voice comms on the PS3 is that the quality of the audio will only be as good as the weakest link. Because Sony made the oh-so-brilliant decision not to standardise voice comms and include a wired headset in with the PS3, little Joe Public uses whatever USB or bluetooth mic he can find/afford/already owns. As a result, voice comms are all over the place with grealy varying degrees of quality, volume, and consistency. Comms can also sound OK (never great - but OK) in one-to-one private chat, but migrate that into a game with other users and it seems the available bandwidth is greatly reduced and quality suffers considerably. Another consequence of no mic being bundled in with the PS3 is that a lot of people simply will not bother getting one. How these people ever create a friends list I'll never know.

We've tried many different bluetooth and USB headsets between us, but after many frustrating dropped links, crappy quality and intermittant coverage, my PS3 buddies and I have all but given up on PS3 comms as a viable method of communication, so always spark up our 360s and use the dependable eight-way crystal-clear party chat while playing PS3. Others I know use Skype, and I've even heard of others using mobile phones.

Sad, but true.

6. luke90

luke90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Very well put mascot. The PS3 audio is terrible in games. It makes it no joy to use and half the time all you can hear is little fan boys from america talking rubbish and making threats (no offence to the americans that use the voice chat sensibly). This just ruins it for me tbh and i think the idea of having in game chat for anyone and everyone in the game to hear is a bad idea. It should be that you invite people you want into your chat in the game and only be able to hear those people.

I always use skype for contact as its got crystal clear sound and i only ever talk to my actual friends when i play anyway.

Sony really need to sort this in game voice chat out because its not good at all.

7. mascot

mascot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    It's definitely costing Sony software sales as well. Everyone I know with PS3s and 360s will ALWAYS buy multi-format online games on the 360 because we all know that the whole experience (of which voice-chat is a major factor) will just be a hell of a lot less hassle on that machine.

8. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Don't forget to keep us updated, as I for one will be interested in the results!

9. mascot

mascot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Dont expect too much from it - I had one for a day then sold it. It's a nicely-made bit of kit, looks really cool in the cradle with the LED pulsing away, and it might be 'the best bluetooth headset available for the PS3' (Sony's words, not mine), but in my experience still only offers a pretty dismal comms performance for the reasons I outlined in the post above. Voice quality in and out was certainly indistinguishable from my mobile phone Plantronics bluetooth headset that I also tried, ie both were buzzy, clicky, randomly disconneted and sounded like I was in a dustbin at the bottom of the ocean.

10. luke90

luke90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes i will keep you updated. I have it ordered with the new Socom tho so it wont be until march when i get it. Until then i will just continue using skype though.

I mean what is the problem and can it be fixed?
    I.e. is it a firmware issue or is it the hardware?
    I have a 10mb down and 3 or 4mb up connection and still all i ever hear on the PS3 is breaking voices and bad quality sound.

Does it mean that if one person has say a 1mb connection and is using voice this can affect everyone elses sound?

11. SnOpPeR

SnOpPeR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the detailed posts :thumbsup: