Gimmick? - Samsung Auto Pixel Shift - Prevent Image Screen Burn In

ash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auto Pixel Shift - Prevent Image Screen Burn In

An ongoing problem with both Plasma Displays and Conventional TVs is image burn in. This occurs when a single image is displayed continuously on the screen over a long period of time. The result is burn in of the image into the screen itself, thus degrading viewing. SAMSUNG’s Plasma Panels incorporate auto pixel shift technology. The picture automatically shifts by 1 pixel in all directions every second, non visible to the naked eye, thus preventing burn in.

Is this a gimmick, or does it work? Why don't other makes implement it?

Other makers do implement the same thing with a different name, eg, Orbiter, Screensaver, etc, but aren't as frequent as 1 second.

Jon

jonspurs said:
Other makers do implement the same thing with a different name, eg, Orbiter, Screensaver, etc, but aren't as frequent as 1 second.

Jon

yep even cheap panels do this, so I'm guessing it is a usefull feature, all be it a recent feature to compensate for possible screen burn.

I've noticed also on cable TV that corner logos are usually semi-transparent these days so that burn in dosn't occur.

All it does is soften the edges of retained images. Pointless for consumer use, but in public display where you might have a fixed bar 24/7 by it always moving a couple pixels instead of a sharply burnt line at the edge of the bar you will get a smudged, but still burnt, line.

jonspurs said:
Other makers do implement the same thing with a different name, eg, Orbiter, Screensaver
On LGs Plasma you can also adjust the amount and frequency of pixel shift in Service Menu. Thanks Liam, you confirmed what I thought: as many logos are larger than the pixel shift itself, it's not very useful.

I have this on my new Sammy, I haven't turned it off yet. Is there any point in keeping it and does the picture quality get any better ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom